1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finished Harry Potter book 6 last night...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CooperUK, Jul 18, 2005.

1. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    ....and it's pretty good. won't give away any of the story, but despite not being IMO as exciting as Azkaban or Goblet of Fire, I was still gripped by it and had to finish it off, all 607 pages!

Book 7 can't arrive quickly enough now, as I think 6 & 7 are going to be seen as two halves of an epic eventually, as the ending certainly sets the last one up amazingly well.

That'll be another $Squillion added to J K Rowling's bank account then - deserves it though.

8/10 from me :thumbsup:

2. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    thought the last 2-3 chapters were good - sets it up rather nicely for HP7.
    but too much of the same old school stuff that appears in all the books (filler ?). and how annoying are they, all the teenagers in love stuff :D

3. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was Voldemort anything to do with it?

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I so hope that Ron, Harry, Hermione, Woldemart and all the others, suffer a violent and deliriously painful death in Volume 7! :devil:

Sorry, but I can't stand Harry :censored: Potter and His Half-Wit Gang! It's shocking that adults read these kiddy fantasy books! Why don't you read proper fantasy novels, from the likes of HG Wells, RA Salvatore, JRR Tolkien, etc, etc?! :confused:

Pooch

5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I was at a festival at the weekend and Ottakars had a stand there and were open to sell the HP book at midnight. The queue was MASSIVE considering there were only 4500 people in the festival grounds. The best thing for me was to see all the kids reading it the next day.

Irrespective of what peoples opinions of HP are (I don't really like it) the fact that so many youngsters were reading it is a good thing.

6. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I've read an awful lot of 'adult' fantasy novels.

I've read Tolkien twice, Michael Moorcock, Harry Harrison, Douglas Adams, etc.

Whilst I agree that HP is not predominantly adult fare, it isn't written as such. The fact that it does appeal to millions of adults is a testament to the quality of the stories, the characterisation and the theme sof good vs evil, friendship and loyalty that you find in JKR's books.

I echo the sentiment that if it gets kids reading then it has to be worthwhile.

7. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    We live in a Commercial Disney World - where 'the general public' get shown what to be scared of, what to find exciting and generally what to think.

Reality is a matter of perception - and if your perception is molded for you by the media and advertising which is apprently what most peoples seem to be, there reality is a 'commercial one'

There is nothing apparently special about the Harry Potter books to my examination. They don't contain any new ideas, the writting style is nothing special either. The characters and stories are pretty much rips offs from early books and stories.
    Its simply 'popular' - much like that 'crazy frog' ringtone that ended up at number one in the charts.

I have no problem with kids reading it, as mentioned by other posters, kids reading anthing is a positive move, but I have to laugh when people compare these books to the 'real' great authors and story tellers. Those that challange our thinking and defy our preconceptions of the universe or the human condition.
    Why exactly did all the news shows have special programs about these books ??? they simply added to marketing hype.
    Idiots will queue up for anything now adays - what ever they are told they can't miss.
    It seems that too many people feel there lives aren't complete without haveing 'experienced' what ever this years particular fad holiday, book, film or social activity is.

You can usually tell what chat show or soap opera people watch by their profered 'opinions' now adays, because they don't have any of their own, they are what ever Opra has instructed them to have.

8. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I think thats a very cynical view of the populace Ethics, one which I don't necessarily agree with. I agree there are people who are spoon fed by advertising and the media hype, but certainly not most people.

While the Harry Potter books are not what I would call great classics in literature, they are very well written stories, originally aimed at the younger end of the market, they have been adopted by all ages, who enjoy them for what they are, fictional stories that provide a brief moment of escapism, they certainly, for myself, take me back to my childhood. JK Rowling has created characters that appeal to everyone, in a world where, lets face it if it was real, you'd want to go there.

The fact that these stories have been popularised, doesn't mean that we've been duped or conned, I just think they are popular because people generally like them, in much the same way people enjoyed the Famous Five books when they came out, how popular where they ? or the Nancy Drew stories, who didn't read one of those ?

9. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    No one put on multiple TV shows and news items about the Famous Five books or Nancy Drew as a new novel was released.... and at prime time.

I may seem cynical ... but simply stop and examine the TV schedule, the news papers and advertisments around you. Then look at what people are doing - queueing for 18hrs to get a book ....... A BOOK , that they could buy a week or even days later with ease.
    WHY exactly are people reacting that way ?

Advertising works ..... if it didn't they wouldn't spend millions on it.
    Why does it work ..... because people are told they want something they didn't even consider before .....

1/3 of people think the sun revolves around the earth .....

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I've just finished this myself.

I used to be a sceptic, didn't want to like Harry Potter, but thought I'd better read at least one of the books to justify my dislike of the topic......erm, then I became hooked LOL!

I read other books as well, in fact I just finished Robin Hobbs Assasins Apprentice, and will be moving onto the 2nd book of the Farseer trilogy shortly.

The Harry Potter books are just a bit of fun, people who spend so much time criticising them really ought to know better, they are childrens books yes, and should be treated as such when being read, if anything, I echo the above comments with regard to getting children reading. It is so healthy for children to be torn away from their pop culture and games consoles and use their brain a bit more, I know of many children who have not only read the Harry Potter books, but as a direct result of realising how exciting reading can be, have gone and picked up books from other authors too, FANTASTIC!!!

Anyway, yes, I thought this latest installment was enjoyable, shocking last few chapters though, very shocking, won't say anything else for fear of Pottery fans having my head, not my fave of the series though, I think that Azkhaban and Phoenix are still my two faves closely followed by Goblet :D

11. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Don't forget Robert Weis & Tracy Hickman and the long forgotten Robert E. Vardeman (has he written anything lately??). I have also just enjoyed the first 3 books in Terry Goodkind's "Wizard's First Rule" series.

HOWEVER...............I bought Harry Potter 6 on Saturday and i'm also quite proud to say that i still have all my Famous Five books from when i was a kid!

And i still like watching DVD's of Knight Rider....................... :D

12. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Christ, i just re-read my last post. I think i need to get out more........ :(

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Bloody hell people Harry Potter is a bit of fun, it is designed to be enjoyed by all ages. If you don't like go back to watching your so called "Sci-Fi" Star Trek if you think thats more adult, I see people in they're mid 30's who watch The OC but wont even give something far more imaginative and intelligent as Harry Potter a go.

/annoyed with the world trying to be grown up all the time.

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Well said :D

15. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    ive got a legitimate excuse for all you haters. i was 13 years of age when i read the first book in the series before it became mainstream and ive continued to follow the series as they came out. i finished the book on saturday night after recieving it at 7am sat morning :D in my opinion its a real testament to the books when at 21 now im still reading them and enjoying them just as much. i didnt watch hostage on saturday night instead to read Harry :thumbsup:

:hiya: all the haters i will always be a harry fan :smashin:

oh and the book was great i thought :clap:

16. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    Can someone explain to me why on earth adults read books written for children?
    My niece reads Harry Potter. She's eight.

Phil

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Why not?

Have you tried it? :) It's actually quite a bit of fun :D

Don't forget things like The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, the Star Wars movies, they are all geared towards children, but you rarely see so many people complain about them :confused:

18. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    we make school children read Shakespeare, Marlow, Keats etc - these weren't written for children.....

why should the kids have all the fun :D

19. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though the latest Harry Potter bandwagon has just run over my foot, I wont reading any of the books, as a matter of principal. Every body is reading it at work and its now getting on my tits.

Cynical? Me? Pah!!

20. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    Maybe I will try them then. I'll also see what music my eight year old niece is into and give that a shot :D

Phil

21. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    you mean you're not already listenin to the crazy frog tunes, westlife, etc (get the impression I have no idea what 8 yr old girls listen to :D )

22. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Who told you it was written for kids only?

23. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I don't hate the books ... that would be a tad riddiculous.

..... I just hate the unjustified Hype .... the TV shows and people queueing for 18hrs on mass to get a copy.

its is the Hype and the fact that it is being shoved in my face by everyone that gives me the right to complain about it :p

24. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That would be a different thread all together wouldn't it?

25. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    not really .... seen as the whole reason for these threads poping up is the hype .... in my opinion.

26. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ah, touche my friend

27. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    The reason this thread popped up here is because I wanted to share my enthusiasm for the story. I didn't queue up at midnight, but I did pre-order the book from Amazon.

In a similar way I shared my enthusiasm with a group of 30 year 7 (11-12 yr old) kids today in my English class by reading the first couple of chapters to them. The sight of 30 spellbound (pardon the pun) kids, plus other adults un the library as I read to them was amazing, and led to interesting discussions about reading books.

About 15 of the kids chose books from the library this morning, who may have never bothered with a book before, purely because I shared my enthusiam for reading with them, about a story I enjoyed thoroughly. The fact that I, as an adult, and a teacher, was reading what they read was a source of great enjoyment for them. I read kid's books all the time, as well as classic novels, sci-fi and fantasy and each genre has its good and bad exponents. JKR should be lauded for what she has done to revolutionise reading in children, especially boys. Walking through the quad in my school today I had several conversations with kids of all ages 11-16 who were reading HP. JKR has gone some way to making reading cool, and that is great.

I also read Harry Potter before it became famous and hyped, before it was ever heard of by the general populace, as I was teaching Primary kids back then. As an adult I have enjoyed every one of the stories, despite their relatively formulaic approach, but do you know what? They may be formulaic, but they are damn good reads and they have inspired thousands, if not millions of kids to read, and that MUST BE CONSIDERED WORTHWHILE IMO, despite the hype. I'd put up with the hype more often if kids read more often and became better educated and well informed.

:lesson:

28. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    Well, the operative word there is 'only'

Gareth Gates/S Club 69 etc music is not for kids 'only', but that is where the music is aimed at.

Same with Harry Potter. As has been seen here, many adults enjoy the books. But that's not the target audience.

29. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Bl**dy Muggles................ :rolleyes:

:D

30. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    we should not be relying on TV shows and commercial publicity campaigns for a single book to be getting kids enthused about reading.

That should have been done by Parents and teachers regardless

:lesson: