Fined by DVLA

Exemplar

Ex Member
Reaction score
It's my fault I guess..

Sold a car in November and sent off V5, got certificate of posting from Post Office.

Three weeks ago get a letter from DVLA saying I have not told them of the sale of the car, give us £55 or £35 if you pay within 14 days.

I send them the certificate expecting to hear no further.

Get a letter this morning 'thanks for the proof but you should have chased us after 4 weeks as per the instructions on the V5C'.

So basically up yours, boom shanka...

Gifts..

So they accepted the envelope, possibly lost it and it's then your fault?
Next you'll have to take it in person and watch over the idiot that processes it!

Yes, but its my fault I guess!

Yes, but its my fault I guess!

These guys are a law unto themselves. I've got to the stage where I send all this stuff to them by RM special delivery. Costs a bomb but otherwise you have no come back

Bit sad, really. Serving the public? :laugh:

Yes but even sending it special delivery does not mean they won't fine you! As per their letter it is your responsibility to chase after 4 weeks!

Yes but even sending it special delivery does not mean they won't fine you! As per their letter it is your responsibility to chase after 4 weeks!

Yes, I realise that. I tend to make a note to chase, but, like all of us..

However, at least you have proof they have received your notification

Makes you wonder where they think their responsibility (if any) begins and ends.

When I have my BMW back at the end of the PCP, I was charged extra by BMW for sending the relevant section to the DVLA informing them I was no longer the keeper of the vehicle. They insisted that I should have returned the whole document intact to them. I thought that was a bit of a risk really.

They ( the dvla ) are in breach of this bit of legislation
Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977

write to them asking for a court hearing on the matter : they will either rescind the penalty fine or go to court and fail in there attempt to fine you !!!

redaprilia said:
They ( the dvla ) are in breach of this bit of legislation
Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977

write to them asking for a court hearing on the matter : they will either rescind the penalty fine or go to court and fail in there attempt to fine you !!!

Are you sure government are subject to this legislation?

Be very careful with the DVLA. Friend of mine has just been through something similar and went all the way to court and still lost......

From another forum, where he posted his story...
So my cruiser has been fully taxed and insured whilst in the UK and whilst being driven on UK roads.

In June 2012 I ship the vehicle (fully insured) to Africa on a Carnet. The vehicle is insured in the UK and on the ship. It also has a valid RFL to Feb 2013.

In July I am informed by my insurer that as the vehicle is now outside of European jurisdiction, they will no longer insure the vehicle.

In July the vehicle arrives in SA. Despite repeated attempts, thorough contacts in the Insurance industry, no insurer in SA will insure a foreign registered vehicle on a temp Carnet. (Insurance is not mandatory in SA).

In August I cancel my UK insurance as I am not covered in the UK or in Africa and I inform DVLA vehicle is in Africa on carnet.

In November I get a notice of intended prosecution for having a non-insured vehicle.

I write to the DVLA with copies of bill of lading, customs clearance, and signed and stamped carnet, together with letter from insurers telling me vehicle cannot be insured.... besides the vehicle is not being driven on UK roads. End of story me thinks.

Oh no, DVLA decide to continue with prosecution and levy a £1,000 fine for no insurance..... or I can plead guilty and pay a £250 fine now.

I repeat response... No joy.

Court date set...for Feb. Appear in court with all documents and explain the situation.

I explain vehicle is NOT in the UK and hasn't been on UK roads since June 2012.... court says NO... vehicle must be insured... try to explain again.... court says no vehicle must be insured....

Refuse to accept the decision as its absurd, protest I .

Told vehicle must be insured even if it's not in the UK and not being driven on UK roads.
Explain that NO insurer will insure a UK vehicle that is in SA... you guessed it... court says NO, vehicle must be insured.

I challenge the court then to provide details of a UK insurer, that will insure the vehicle in the UK whilst said vehicle is in SA and I'll happily oblige. Much deliberation between magistrates and the J.C.

Case adjourned to today.

Appear in court with written testament, and as a professional witness, the head of a LLoyds syndicate.

Court still says NO... vehicle must be insured or exported PERMANENTLY. Fine however reduced to £50!

On leaving the court, I am informed that if I declare the vehicle as SORN then I will not have to insure it, or export it permanently!!!!!!

What a complete waste of my time and public money...But of course I own my own home, I pay lots of tax, obey the law, am easily traceable and therefore and easy target to pursue for money.

Bunch of Buffoons !

Be very careful with the DVLA. Friend of mine has just been through something similar and went all the way to court and still lost......

From another forum, where he posted his story...

Totally different, common sense says permanently export it or declare sorn.

The op has done all he needs to do lawfully.

Different situation yes, but he informed them in writing and called them but still ended up with a fine etc. My point of posting was not to compare situations but to warn taking on DVLA in court will more than likely not go your way.

You can now hand over your V5C to the Post Office who will send it off to DVLA free of charge, they also scan the bar code on the V5C so it is recorded.

I have done this myself recently.

You can now hand over your V5C to the Post Office who will send it off to DVLA free of charge, they also scan the bar code on the V5C so it is recorded.

Any guarantees?

Is this any Post Office or just those who issue car tax?

Any guarantees?

Is this any Post Office or just those who issue car tax?

I sent off the V5C for a car I bought recently (the previous owner asked me to post it off) 2 weeks ago and received the new V5C this morning.

I went in to my local Post Office, yes, they are a tax issuing office, handed the letter addressed to Swansea to the girl behind the counter asking for her to put a stamp on and post it....she said no need to post it as we can now deal with these for free...she scanned the bar code and I left it with her.

Thats good to hear! I need to send mine off for a change of address!! :thumbsup:

Cheque sent today, recorded. Having wiped it around my body..

As your happy to give money to anyone who asks, can you pm me for my bank or paypal details, and I'll have £35 for not sending me a birthday card.

Thanks.

Certainly can, just give me your bank details, full name, date of birth, address and full credit card details and ill sort something..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom