1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Findings - Panasonic TX42PT10

Discussion in 'TVs' started by laurel, Jan 9, 2002.

Tags:
  1. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Until I get around to a detailed write-up, thought I would post a few details for anyone? waiting for info on this set.

Well I've now had the set three weeks and done plenty of fiddling around.

Overall I can say I think I chose well. I'm pleased with the results.

The set also looks good switched off (always a plus with the missus).

One or two random points to mention:

Initial setup was painless. A bit of channel swapping initially required (to remove weak signals) and that was it.

Standard user menu has convergence adjustments which divides the screen into 9 parts and uses the usual white cross approach for red/blue and a large cross (full width and height of picture) for green which is alligned with small notches on the outer casing. Best to allign green first, then adjust red/blue. I found this gives a generally acceptable result, however I still had some mis-allignment at the outer edges (particularly corners). However I don't think this is unusual.

Managed to find my way round the service menu (after much research and experimentation) to correct two things. Firstly a fine adjustment of the convergence to solve the outer edge problem. Secondly to pull the picture down slightly (vertical position) when viewing DVD over RGB as I had a slight black bar at the bottom of the screen in all ratios.

I still need to adjust convergence for NTSC playback which is out. Strange thing here is a mis-allignment of all three colours in a band about 2 inches high 4 inches from the top (on the allignment grid) running horizontally across the entire width of the screen. I'm sure I can sort this out - but will wait for the service manual before messing around. As all three colours are mis-alligned the picture looks ok - but it's bugging me now I know it's there.

I will post a seperate entry about the service menu stuff - I've got the fine convergence sussed out, but for peace of mind I've ordered a service manual from Panasonic (none available though yet - probably due to being a new set).

Most stuff is a pleasure to watch - Eastenders etc excluded! I was a little suspicious that off-air VCR stuff would look bad - but I was wrong - this seems very acceptable. This is helped a little by switching on the PNR (Picture Noise Reduction) digital trickery. I've even found Long Play recordings to be watchable (admittedly on good quality tapes).

The 100hz seems to be working for me - I can really notice the flicker difference now on my old 29" Sony. Can't say as I've noticed any blocking or artefacts even on fast moving scenes. Although this could be due to the DDM (Dynamic Digital Motion) circuitry which I believe is similar to the DRC implementation of the Sony sets??

DVD Playback from Tosh 210e is great.

The screen can appear to be reflective (when set switched off) and I believe this has been commented on. In practice the reflection is much reduced when the set is operating. Looking with a critical eye this does not appear to me to be a problem. I have definitely seen much worse (my old 29" Sony for example). Panasonic do claim that the screen has an anti-reflective coating although nothing is mentioned about how this works.

Have not yet noticed any faults or annoying features. I would definitely recommend based on my experience so far.

Questions anyone?

Cheers for now.

Laurel

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for going to the trouble of writing this up.... All good info.
    I plan to buy a new RPTV in a month or so. I'm looking at this Panny, and I've heard some good things about the ageing Hitachi 43 too...so I'll be considering those.

Cheers
    Daz

3. yakko

yakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What was your research?

Thanks for your post, I've been dithering over this set for a few weeks, but I'm very wary of (what will be my first) RPTV.
    How is the NTSC playback?
    Is the service menu navigable to a total novice like myself?
    Do RPTV's have geometry issues?

Thanks ,
    Yakko

4. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Yakko

Research was Internet of course!

I found quite a bit of stuff on the older and American models including PT47PT1. Entry to the service menu is the same and navigation is pretty simple. Some of the buttons on the remote do not correspond to the ones mentioned for the older set, but I managed to work out (by CAREFULLY experimenting) which ones to use.

Some of the entries are more esoteric, and that is why I've ordered the service manual.

NOTE: I have not adjusted anything I am not sure about yet - and I have made a note of all the settings I have changed (basically just the vertical allignment so far).

NTSC Playback is fine. I have not noticed any appreciable difference from PAL. As I mentioned, there a small convergence problem that I need to sort out later, but this does not affect the picture quality - the problem is that convergence information is stored in various "pages" of memory within the set and I want to make sure I'm adjusting the right "pages" that's why I'm waiting for the service manual.

You can have geometry issues as with a convential direct view tv, but in my experience these are much less of a problem than some of the new 30" and above direct view sets (as you can read in these forums). I have not so far noticed any particular geometry issues with my set however. Checking the grid pattern on the THX setup of the T2 Ultimate DVD, these seems just about perfect.

The picture quality and reliability of RPTV's has much improved over the last couple of years and in my opinion, seem to experience less problems than some of the newer large direct view models. The size, quality and cost (which is now around the same if not less than a large direct view model) convinced me to take the plunge and I am not dissapointed.

Cheers

Laurel

5. highisland

highisland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Laurel

I was looking forward to your report following the other thread.
    I'm still looking to buy and having sent my brother out on a scouting mission to TCR I think I'm down to either the Panasonic or the Toshiba 42WH.

Thanks again and look forward to any future updates.

Cheers, Highisland