1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding the right speakers for an Audiolab 8000s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sapgem, Feb 14, 2003.

1. sapgem

sapgem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having decided on a Audiolab 8000s as my stereo amp - I need some speakers that will work well with it. What I've read seems to suggest that finding the right speakers for this particular amp is more important than with most other amps.

Has anyone got any recommendations of what speakers I should match it with? (200gbp - 500 gbp range). Floorstanders that don't need loads of space are a possibility. However, I was thinking of Quad 11s. ??

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    How about B&W 602s3? I use 602s2 with a Rotel RA1060 and they work well.

I'd listen to B&W 602, the Quad 11s, maybe the Mission 780SE at the lower end of your price bracket. Add to the price £70 - £100 for decent stands and you're moving up towards the top end of your budget especially when you add in cable, etc.

Victoria

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Audiolab 8000S. Now before I bash the B&W's- I can hear extremly high (dog whistle)

I've used to use B&W 601's, which work well with neutral sounding amps- but since the Audiolab can sound pretty forward- the B&W's don't mate well with them.

I am using Ruark Etudes- which are soft dome, biamped with a SX.

The B&W's will work better with the Rotel amps (as in Victorias setup)

Anyway, checkout soft-dome/softer sounding speakers.

Excellent amp!

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Shouldn't the question be far more weighted towards finding the right speakers for your room ?

Mike.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    IMHO He needs speakers to suit the amp & the room.

Bearing in mind that the amp is the part of the equation that will stay the same, the room can possibly be rearranged, but the amp cannot be it is an Audiolabs 8000s and that's it.

So yes both but I would give more weight to matching speakers to amp but take the size of the room into account.

Then yes there is the secondary issue of the effects of furniture etc... but if the speakers are not a good match for the amp then it is a bit of a struggle to get the rest right.

Steff

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Audiolab 8000S can get quite warm (depending on volume/speaker impedance/sensitivty, so make sure you leave plenty of space above it.

If you bi-amp, the S runs alot cooler. There are special offers on the 8000SX- £350 direct from Tag, new £550! With full warranty.

As Flimber commented, depending on room size - compare floorstanders/standmounts etc.

The bass level on the Audiolab is very clean- not a bit pronounced like a Arcam Alpha 9. So you will get away with slightly larger speakers with the Audiolab.

What were your previous speakers? and what size is your room?

You need borrow a couple of pairs of speakers over the weekend.

7. sapgem

sapgem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some great tips - thanks guys.

I feel relatively on top of the qualities of the room - its crap! One of those long thinish two reception knocked through rooms. I've managed to find a place where floorstanders work good (eltax liberty 5+s) - but will probably go to stand mounts.

The problem is the amp sounds very harsh on the eltax liberty speakers. Comments on audio-review suggest that unless the speakers are right the 8000s it will sound harsh and tiring - so my concern is getting the match right.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to try out a pair of speakers with fab treble (to compare the harsh treble of your Eltaxs) checkout the Ruark Epilogue II's.

If you're into Jazz, Acoustic etc- not too heavy bass music I would consider these.

I borrowed the Epilogue II's and the Etudes- I settled with the Etudes as I found the Epilogue couldn't extend low enough for modern bass heavy music, ie Madonna Ray of Light album.

But if you can at least borrow them/hear the 8000S with the Epilogue's you'll get a idea of where I'm coming from.

The S takes at least one hour to sound it's best- preferbly two. It does sound harsh until it warms up.

PS, if you want info on how to use the 8000S properly, PM me- I can give you details on how to use it in a AV system/biamped/pre/power etc etc..

Nathan

9. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    celestion A1,S i had these powered by audiolab C/P and thought the sound was excellent, but be quick as they are discontinued.

10. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I am sure these are going cheap at Hyperfi. £250 IIRC.

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Find below a picture how to use the 8000S in a AV setup. Take the left and right pre-outs (NOT THE TAPE/LINE OUT!!!!) from the AV Processor, ie Lexicon DC-2 (or a AV Amp)- into the POWERAMP IN of the 8000S.

Reduce the DC-2 volume.

Flip the 8000S to PRE-POWER AV. The S is now acting as a 2 channel poweramp- the S volume control does not affect the L/R volume- the master AV volume on the Lexicon does. Nifty eh?

Play a DVD, increase the DC-2 volume, check everything works. Do a test tone, calibrate.

Note that is setup works only if you have a 8000S directly connected to both HF/LF drivers on the L/R speakers. If you bi-amp with a SX, and set to Pre-Power AV the SX does not recieve any signal (so you'll only get the S- HF signal). Bummer.

For normal CD listening, flip the switch back to integrated mode.

Sapgem, what CD source have you got? Does it sound harsh with CD only, have you got vinyl/tape/tuner to compare as well?

If your Yamaha 430RDS has got pre-outs for the L/R, then you could do the above, and use the Audiolab to power the L/R speakers instead of the Yamaha, giving the Yamaha more current reserve, and better L/R AV sound from the Audiolab.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edit- just added L/R speakers, and correlation between AV amp/ rest of the speakers.

Attached Files:

13. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to confirm that I'm happy having earlier taken nathan's advice wrt the AV power mode on the 8000S.

ditton

PS I use the same in the diagram, except that I use my HiFi mains as AV surrounds (and move chairs about to face fireplace & have back to telly when listening to music)