Finding the right camcorder. XLR, mpeg-4, and more

xaviarai

Standard Member
Reaction score
We may be asking to much here, but please help me make sense of the plethora of information and advertisements out there. We are looking to find a new camera for our linguistics lab (for linguistic analysis) under the price of $2000.

The problems we are having involve:
1-Upload time
the time we have available to upload the recordings. Since we ultimately need it to be in an mpeg-4 format (the forums and reviews I have read about converting into mpeg-4 taking at least 4:1 time), something that records in mpeg-4 would be ideal. Are there faster ways?
2-XLR input
we are using XLR professional headset microphones and would like to have the input on the camcorder. Most of them that I have looked at with the XLR input are well above our price range. Are there any I am missing? How well do the converter boxes work for the XLR input? I am new to all of this, are the converter boxes phantom power? We will be doing phonetic analysis and need the extracted audio to be clean and clear, I read some of the connectors degrade the audio quality.
3-Canon XA10 HD
we thought we hit the jackpot with this camcorder. XLR input, mpeg-4 recording ability, duel SD card slots, etc., yet, some nasty reviews about handle shaking on the XLR attachment comparing it to a baby's rattle made us turn and run. What's left?

Please note, I am new to all of this and have to look up most of the terms just to follow what people are saying, so simple and precise explanations are appreciated, links are greatly appreciated. If you know of any great introductory tutorials to help familiarize myself with terms and equipment that would also help! Please help, we are desperate and in a hurry to get this equipment for our linguistics lab before we begin elicitations.

Don't dismiss the Canon because of one review.... try one in a shop (although here in UK that's not quite so easy, being restricted to "Pro-Vid Stores". Might be a good idea to taker a mic with you to check it's compatible - take a memory card, so you can see the results at home, without a salesman pressurising you.

What's up with XLR's -? - Sure, they are used by Pros, but that's mainly because they are "unbreakable" - camcorders like Pana 900 (and the soon upgrade) are 3.5mm - and you can adapt with a short lead (DON'T use a solid adaptor, these put enormous strain on sockets).

However, if you need phantom power (are you sure?, most tiny mics come with a battery). This can be introduced in a mixer between mic and camcorder, with the advantage you have another level-meter.

Upload: Can't help you much as I don't have enough experience with these camcorders . . . . However, the more-expensive models will have a video-out feature (for multi-camera shooting), so you could send the video to yr PC in real time. The dual SD card feature is there to avoid losing any changeover...or to give an Editor a copy of the raw footage, while you keep a copy safe.
+As always DYOR.

Maybe a visit to a "Pro-Vid store " is needed?

"SD Downconversion
The AG-HMC40 is equipped with both component (Mini D4) video outputs and AV output (AV multi terminals), allowing HD images to be down-converted and output as SD images while they are being recorded or played. At the same time, a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio can be selected for side crop, letterbox, or squeeze images. Audio output (AV multi terminals 2 channels) enables a wide variety of applications, such as viewing on an external monitor or SD dubbing."

Does this mean you can shoot in mpeg4 rather than AVCHD?

AVCHD is an MPEG4 format. It uses the same encoding (H.264) as mp4 files. Although there are variations in the file 'wrapper'.

The files extensions are .MTS or .m2ts , rather than .mp4.

AFAIK, there are no pro or semi pro camcorders that record files directly with an '.mp4' file extension. Unless someone knows different of course!

How are you intending to actually replay the files?

We use the files for linguistic analysis. Because our field is always one step behind the technology we have to have all of our files in .mp4. We are using iMovie and Final Cut Express to upload & play back our clips, we also extract the audio for phonetic analysis. We put the audio in to programs like Praat.
I will clarify with my advisor any specifics when it comes to our need for .mp4. She said that last year they used a simple downconverter program, but because it takes at least 4:1 the amount of time to do this with the hours of video we will have is too expensive to pay the interns.

Is there a faster way to record in AVCHD and get our files into .mp4? We thought maybe upload time would be faster if we used an SD card reader as apposed to the firewire, but we still have the down-conversion issue.

Certainly using a card reader will enable you to extract the AVCHD video from the card much faster than the 'real time' transfer of Firewire.
You should then be able to directly convert those .mts files to .mp4 using the freeware 'Handbrake' program.
On my quad core PC, that conversion happens slightly faster than real time.
Obviously a less powerful CPU will take longer...

I don't use a Mac, but as I understand it, the newer versions of iMovie can accept AVCHD files directly, and convert them for use in FCE.
Perhap one of our Mac users could confirm that?......

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom