Question Finding Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Dimensions, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Dimensions

Dimensions
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy speakers to connect to an amp, but am confused about which kind I need to look for.
    I own a Creek CAS4040 and according to the instruction booklet should only be connected to an 8ohm speaker, however after doing some research elsewhere I have seen speakers being suggested which don’t match that spec yet apparently work. So any suggestions for what speakers to get or advice will be very helpful.
    The other issue and confusion I am in, is that the outputs of the amp are 4mm banana plugs, so I was wondering if buying an adapter is a worthwhile idea to potentially connect to modern speakers, or is that a bad idea? Any advice will be helpful,

Thanks
    -R

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,309
    The amp has a nominal impedance of 8 ohms, however all amps are capable of going below that depending on the signal it receives. In theory lower ohm speakers will work and in theory you will get more power out of the amp. It's 40 watts per channel into 8 ohms so at 6 ohm that is likely to be 50 watts or more.

The downside is that the amp may very well run hotter and electrical components do not like heat. There are plenty of 8 ohm speakers available as long as you stay away from those that have low sensitivity as these will easily show up the weaknesses of the amp.

4mm banana plugs are still widely used, in fact both my stereo amp and receivers are connected by them.

What is your budget for the speakers and what type of cabinet do you want?

3. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    According to the data sheet of this amplifer, it is a twin channel amplifier capable of sustained 30 watts per channel into 8 ohm speakers , or 50 watts into 4 ohms ,provided only one channel is connected. To amplify Gibbsy comments, this amplifier is capable of driving a voltage of just under +- 30v into the speaker. The power supply is only capable of 2 amps maximum or about 1.5 amp sustained..and this is shared between the two channels . If one channel is giving a high power, the voltage and current in the other will be reduced. A 4 ohm speaker will pull twice the current for the same output voltage.

4. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    How much is your budget sir?