Finding $kyHD's MAC address - How?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by clual, Jan 3, 2007.

1. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi all.

Does anyone know how to find the mac address of the $kyHD box? Most ethernet devices have it printed on the case/box but there is no sign of it with my $kyHD box.

Many thanks!

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The RJ45 socket has not been implemented in the software so there is no way of using it at the moment. Sky may implement it later.

3. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes, thats my understanding, but all ethernet devices have a hardware MAC address regardless wether it is supported in software or even has an IP address, but there is no sign of the MAC on either the cardboard box or $kyHD box which is unusual.

The ethernet port is active and given its MAC address it may be able to connect to it and have a fiddle, even if $ky don't currently support this, but with out the MAC I am a little stuck!!

4. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I do know basic networking. Have you connected it to a hub or router to see if it is live? I suspect it is fully disabled ie powered off.

5. t256256

t256256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not really, a lot of home routers/wifi switches may still have the MAC addy printed somewhere (on the box, or on a sticker affixed to the device), but that's it. Even if you had the MAC addy, what could you do? What would you fire at it? IP is no good as that's layer 3 and the device would need an IP addy (if IP is available in a Sky HD box, I'd assume it would be set for DHCP = on, default IP addy = 0.0.0.0). Anyway, if the port is disabled it won't respond. Only thing I could suggest is hook up a protocol analyzer to the Ethernet port and then reboot the Sky box and see if it sends anything out.

6. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Sniffer software would be your best bet - and a crossover cable (or a modern laptop with an auto crossover port). Like others have said, I bet it's disabled though just to save power if for nothing else.

7. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    As far as I can tell it doesn't send anything recognisable.. certainly nothing as high level as arp or bootp.

If you had its mac address you might be able to arping it but that's not going to do you any good (and personally I doubt even that would work - you need software even to respond to something like that).

8. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My plan would be to add a static arp to my PC and then attempt connections via the browser, telnet, SSH and pinging it etc'.

9. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes, when its connected to my home switch it shows a link light. I work in networking but am on my hols for a few days and all my kit is in the office, otherwise I would be able to get the address off the box - Don't want to go to work to get my laptop or I may get roped into something!!!

10. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Please keep us updated with your findings. Very interesting. :smashin:

ATB

Max

11. t256256

t256256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Would adding a static ARP to your PC TCP/IP stack really do anything? All it would do is tell your PC that the MAC addy xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx equates to a specific IP addy. This will not 'put' this IP addy into the Sky HD box (OK, small proviso here, using static arp and ping'ing is the way by which you can set an IP addy to some embedded devices e.g. some of the earlier Axis IP cameras).

I would be pretty confident that the Sky HD box is set to DCHP = OFF. If you think of it, your Internet connection will not go directly into the Sky HD box, you'll connect to some sort of local router with Ethernet ports - you'd then run a cable to the Sky HD box and it'll obtain it's IP addy from the router via DHCP. Practically all "extra" bits of kit (VoIP gateways, Slingbacks, Video over IP boxes), work in this manner - can't see Sky not doing it this way.

I'm working from home this afternoon, so I'll hook my laptop up to the box and see if EtherReal see's anything.

12. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    By adding a static arp to a PC it removes the need for the PC to ‘arp’ for the IP. Normally an IP conversation over Ethernet starts with the initiating IP host sending out a broadcast to all hosts on the subnet asking for the hardware address associated with the IP address to which that host wishes to connect. If the host is awake it replies with its hardware address (MAC) and the conversation then takes place at layer 2. This does not ‘put the IP into the sky box’, but instead it associates a MAC address to an IP address and allows layer 3 communications to take place with a device that has an unknown IP address. The command line command would be…

C:\> arp –s A.A.A.A xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

Where A.A.A.A is an available IP address on your subnet and xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx is the MAC of the $ky HD box.

This is how the Axis devices used to work.

I did have a play yesterday afternoon using nmap, but despite the Ethernet port being live it does not send out a single packet :(

13. purplefoot

purplefoot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you're on to a loser. :( If you can't ARP an IP from it, then trying to access TCP/IP based services is simply not going to happen.

Service daemons like ssh and web servers have to bind to an IP, not a MAC. So if the box has no IP, there's no way they can be running.

Don't think Nmap will help you much either, as it's IP/ICMP based. Sniffing Ethernet frames with something like Ethereal might show you if there is any traffic at all. Hook it up to your PC via a crossover and see if anything comes out of the Skybox port.

14. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I can't even start to 'arp an IP from it' because I don't know its MAC address.

Thats not quite true and indeed I have experience of accessing layer 3 services on devices that have no IP address bound to the interface, as per my previous post.

I was using the arp sniffing component within nmap. I did try Observer a commercial sniffer and also a couple of other apps but I need my laptop from work really. I have triied a Xover and there is nothing comming from the port, despite it comming up at 100meg.

I may whip the lid of the box and see if the MAC is on the motherboard :)

EDIT: Looks like I don't need to open the box as another forum member has already done so... http://www.zen27883.zen.co.uk/skyhd/HTML/ and I can't see any sign of the MAC addy :(

15. t256256

t256256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    See my comment above regarding Axis (and other embedded devices). What you're doing in the above case is setting an IP addy using a "ping of life" (as opposed to the more interesting "ping of death") - this method of setting an IP addy is very old school these days. Every Tom, Dick and Harry now uses DHCP.

Anyway... Hooked up my laptop via RJ-45 and took a peek at the port using CommView (this will happily decode layer 2 packets as well as layer 3 packets).... and... nothing. not a peep. Using another bit of kit (which my company manufactures), all I can see is that the Ethernet port is set to auto-negotiate and advertises 10Mbps or 100Mbps, either HDX or FDX.

From the above we can surmise that the Ethernet chip is powered on, but that's it. Nothing else is switched on - until Uncle Rupert decides so.

16. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    which is why i want to know its MAC so that i can fire packets at it rather than hopeing that the $kyHD box is chatty, which of course its not. the fact that it is not sending packets out of the ethernet port is no evidence that the port will not reply to packets sent to it.

this method of connection may or may not be 'old school' but given that the box is not responding to dhcp it leaves few alternatives.

17. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Don't suppose there is anything listed under the Installer screens? I know in the past when I had NTL, the installer hit some button combo and it came up with all sorts of stats/info including its MAC address.

18. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    If its negotiating a connection, wouldn't a router potentially show the MAC address? Or will they only do this once an IP is assigned?

19. clual

clual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I can't find any screen that contains the MAC address, including the engineers menu sadly :(

A router and a switch would contain an arp table with entries off all hosts which have passed traffic through it but so far, despite the interface being live (powered) it hasn't sent out any packets and therefore it won't appear in a routers arp table. I did try powering off the box to see if anything popped out of the ethernet as it boots but I saw nothing.

I may be approching the point where the reward is not worth the effort on this one!! LOL!! :)