Question Finding it hard to choose a new TV!

vmetelz

Novice Member
Hello all!

Looking for advice on buying a TV, currently have a 10 year old 32" LG TV so it is certainly time to upgrade!

I have a budget of around £1000 (but can possibly go higher) and am looking for a 55" TV with 4K and full HDR. Will mainly use it for gaming on the Xbox One S (and X when it is out) so it needs to have low input lag, not entirely bothered about everyday use such as movies or netflix, as long as the quality is decent. Do not want 3D or curved as they seem a little bit gimmicky to me!

Have currently shortlisted the following:
LG55UJ750V
LG55UH770V

I've also heard a lot about the Samsung KS7000 but this seems to be very hard to find.

With all the different lingo and features, it is like finding a needle in a haystack, I have been looking for about a week now! So any help is really appreciated!

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Full HDR isn't available yet, the hardware hasn't developed to the point where it can display the full colour and brightness range included in the standards. TVs offering a great HDR performance by current standards start at about £1900 with models like the Sony XE93.

Below that you've got models that make a good stab at all aspects of HDR like Sony's XE90 and last year's Samsung KS series (any of them, not just the 7000). They're only likely to be in budget on clearance.

Then you've got models like the UH770 that on paper are contemporaries to the XE90 and KS series but have a much poorer implementation. The 55" UH770 went down to around £650.

Finally you've got models that only include part of the HDR technologies, typically they drop the local dimming but include the wide colour gamut.

You want to either increase your budget or wait as you'll get a much better HDR experience than anything under £1k right now. It's just an expensive technology at the moment.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

If you can no longer find a Samsung KS series tv keep an eye on the price of the Sony XE90xx between black Friday and spring next year. Prices should get at their lowest in spring but that's also when new models are released so the old ones are hard to find. Which is essentially why the KS Samsung's are hard to find now. They mostly sold out while the new 2017 models are high in price compared.

vmetelz

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

Looking to get a new set within 1 month so unfortunately black Friday and spring are quite far off!

At my current budget it sounds like the KS series is the one to go for, I did see a couple of ex demo ones for sell on eBay, so will keep my eyes peeled. Will also have a lookout for the XE90.

Then you've got models like the UH770 that on paper are contemporaries to the XE90 and KS series but have a much poorer implementation. The 55" UH770 went down to around £650.

When you say "poorer implementation", what exactly do you mean? As in the operating system or general build quality?

Dodgexander

He means with HDR. There is a big difference between accepting a HDR signal and displaying it. LG LCDs don't have the kind of hardware inside them to display HDR at the same level as the Samsung KS series. So they are poor choices where HDR is concerned. They also use IPS panels which do give better viewing angles, but at the expense of contrast. So really they are lacking in PQ in most areas compared to other TVs.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
When you say "poorer implementation", what exactly do you mean? As in the operating system or general build quality?

Neither really.

There's been no breakthrough in LCD panels. To create the wider brightness range of HDR the backlight needs to be able to be able to emit different levels of light in different parts of the screen instead of being constant all over the screen as it is in normal TVs.

I was referring to capabilities like how many areas of different brightness the backlight can create, how fast it ramps brightness up and down in individual areas, how those areas are shaped and positioned.

There's a software side to it as well, because nothing can simply reproduce the HDR content directly a TV needs to translate the picture to make best use of it's hardware.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom