1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finding extra bass,

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andrew constant, Apr 19, 2003.

1. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i have a set of stand mount speakers and i was wondering if anyone to help me to tget the maximum bass out of them either by buying speaker cable or placement to walls.thanks

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What speakers?- are you using decent speaker stands?

If you want a more bass to standmounts I would recommend a sub (my standmounts go down to 50hz, added a cheap Yamaha- adds a bit of LF)

3. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Filling the stands that they are on with dry sand or attacama attabites will tighten the bass up, and probably increase the bass by a small amount. Finding the optimumdistance from the wall (assuming they're rear ported) will also help, it will say in the manual what it is - my Dyn's are half a metre off.

4. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a pair of acoustic energy ae1 sigs with there proper stands what weigh a ton and are about .5 m off the rear wall ,i am using vdh cs122 cable

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    If you really want extra bass then you´re going to need a decent subwoofer. Have a look at the Power Buys Forum for various deals on the Velodyne range of subs.

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I would normally associate a "tightening up of bass" as perhaps LESS perceived "bass" output.

Steve.

7. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I would say there is a difference between boomy bass and the amount of bass. Just because bass is tight doesn't mean it's quiet.

The AE1 sigs are great bookshelves, but need a LOT of power behind them to get their full potential. They aren't the lowest speaker on the market but you should be getting a good representation of the true bass that is there. Obvioulsy, Jase and Nathan's suggestion of adding a sub is a good one.

8. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all your sugestions, idealy i would not want to run it through my av amp to use my sub, iwas more thinking on the lines ofchanging the cable or positioning of speakers.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use a sub from a stereo amp too andrew. If it's got high level in i.e. a REL then it will connect off your speaker out's on the back of your amp and if not, you can use one of the pre outs (or both, depending on your sub).

10. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Gambit.

Something of a contradiction in terms there i feel!

Steve.

11. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fail to see how steve. I don't think that in order for bass to be loud, it has to be impresise. I'd be interested to see how you understand "tight" as we may both be on about diffenent ideas. to me, tight bass is quick and accurate, with little/no bloom.

12. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Gambit.

Suffice it to say that i do understand what you are saying but i am (all to anally?) responding to the word "bloom". In my humble experience, to remove "bloom" will give the "impression" of slightly less "output" and certainly not more! (re: your earlier post - "and probably increase the bass by a small amount")

I agree with the terms:

"tight bass is quick and accurate, with little/no bloom".

Regards

Steve.

13. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Gambit

On reflection i suspect what you refer to as "blooming" i would know as "slurring" or lack of definition???.
    I would think of blooming as "peaking" for whatever cause.

Regards

Steve.

14. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Steve

I'd consider bloom to be and extention/echo of bass, i.e. if a bass note was there and meant to be short an extention of said note. Tight bass would be just the note and no more. This does not mean that the note would be quieter but more precise and quick although I appreciate it is a little hard to put into words.

I know waht you mean by peaking, I consider blooming to be extra bass on top of the note which I think should be there, this is quite hard to put into words but I think you'll catch my dirft.