Question Finding 4K content on Prime Video

leckie

Established Member
Reaction score
With the recent update to the app on my C6 I yet again can't easily find 4K content. It boggles my mind that Amazon have it separated into 4K and 1080p. Has anyone else had this problem?

It's much easier to find the 4K content if you visit the dedicated TV sub-section first. Currently it's only 4 layers down.

Cheers

I'll give it a try again later with that method, I did try that yesterday with no luck though. The new originals sections had no 4K option at all which seemed incredibly odd.

If you scroll down the main page for a bit you eventually hit a ‘uhd 4K TV box’.

It’s a bit buried but it is on the home page.

If you scroll down the main page for a bit you eventually hit a ‘uhd 4K TV box’.

It’s a bit buried but it is on the home page.

It used to be, yeah. But with the update and new layout it's gone from the homepage. Unless it's been added back in.

App version 1.0.29 is a bit better.
UHD content is 19 rows down on the home page, but only 4 rows down in the TV section.
I’m still not sure if Amazon have any enthusiasm for UHD, but it’s a very small step in the right direction.

App version 1.0.29 is a bit better.
UHD content is 19 rows down on the home page, but only 4 rows down in the TV section.
I’m still not sure if Amazon have any enthusiasm for UHD, but it’s a very small step in the right direction.

It still feels incredibly odd that there would be 2 separate listings. I can't think of any scenario where I'd rather watch the 1080p version rather than the 4K HDR.

Yeah it's such a muddle. I can find UHD TV programmes in the Amazon Prime app, although for example if I click on the Grand Tour (Ultra HD) - the HDR pop-up comes up but when I click on the remote it shows "HDR 1080p"? Is that right?

Also I can't for the life of me find any 4K/HDR movies in the app. Is there any?

Yeah it's such a muddle. I can find UHD TV programmes in the Amazon Prime app, although for example if I click on the Grand Tour (Ultra HD) - the HDR pop-up comes up but when I click on the remote it shows "HDR 1080p"? Is that right?

Also I can't for the life of me find any 4K/HDR movies in the app. Is there any?
It shows as 1080p for while as it ramps up the bitrate. Wait a bit longer and it will go to ultra hd.

There used to be buy or rent 4k movies somewhere down the page...a long way down. I assume they are still there. I’ve not looked recently. There aren’t any that are included with Prime.

It shows as 1080p for while as it ramps up the bitrate. Wait a bit longer and it will go to ultra hd.

There used to be buy or rent 4k movies somewhere down the page...a long way down. I assume they are still there. I’ve not looked recently. There aren’t any that are included with Prime.

If you go down about 400 rows they are there.

The big issue with amazon is that its UHD store for prime shows all content to purchase but doesn't tell you if it is HDR compatible or not. Which most of it isn't. I'm not buying content for those prices if I don't get the HDR/DV version.

Getting to the point where I need to be an Apple TV 4K as they are the only service offering 4K/HDR/DV content for all new releases. And their prices for that content is good. If only I had a spare HDMI to plug the thing into!

If you go down about 400 rows they are there.

The big issue with amazon is that its UHD store for prime shows all content to purchase but doesn't tell you if it is HDR compatible or not. Which most of it isn't. I'm not buying content for those prices if I don't get the HDR/DV version.

Getting to the point where I need to be an Apple TV 4K as they are the only service offering 4K/HDR/DV content for all new releases. And their prices for that content is good. If only I had a spare HDMI to plug the thing into!
The only thing that puts me off Apple TV is that I just know I would drive myself mad going through movie reviews to see what to spend money on, but you’re absolutely right, Apple TV plus a Netflix subscription is almost a complete solution.
I really don’t understand where Amazon are going. Their UHD content is very limited and the fact they hide it so well makes me wonder if they are going to drop it altogether.

The only thing that puts me off Apple TV is that I just know I would drive myself mad going through movie reviews to see what to spend money on, but you’re absolutely right, Apple TV plus a Netflix subscription is almost a complete solution.
I really don’t understand where Amazon are going. Their UHD content is very limited and the fact they hide it so well makes me wonder if they are going drop it altogether.

What I don't get with Amazon is why they won't have all films 4k/HDR day and date like apple. Apple manage it in the UK. But Amazon can't seem to. Given unlike netflix amazon are a "pay for specific content" type provider it amazes me. Must be a licensing issue. But it is frustrating.

If I had the HDMI ports I'd get an Apple TV tomorrow to be honest.

I definitely don't think they'll drop it. They're bought in on HDR10+ and all their originals seem well mastered. The store itself is just poorly organised.

I definitely don't think they'll drop it. They're bought in on HDR10+ and all their originals seem well mastered. The store itself is just poorly organised.

But why aren't they offering all movies as 4K/HDR-DV options?

More or less on topic, I’m finishing off season 2 of Goliath. It’s billed as being UHD which it is, no problem with that, but episode 5 and only episode 5 is HDR too. The other 7 episodes are glorious SDR.
WTF Amazon!!!???

Even with the menu update, finding stuff on Amazon is a pain. I only have it because Prime delivery is so useful; Amazon video is my least used option for watching tv or film. For me, they don't come close to Netflix.

That's about my experience. A right pain.
I suspect they've optimised the layout based on telemetry on what the majority of people access, similar to the way the Amazon site works.

But I still wonder why they don't normalise the content to 1 tile, and when you click to view the seasons/episodes you can opt for HD or UHD when you playback.

To be fair Netflix aren't really any better and should do the same.

Really? I don't see anyone complaining about finding 4K content on Netflix, but I do see plenty of people complaining about finding such content if using Amazon. For a start, Netflix do not list the HD and UHD variants of their content separately so you always get the UHD version if there is one available. Why would you even need an option to select HD or UHD and who's opting to watch the HD version rather than the UHD version?

To be fair, Netflix and their GUI make a mockery of Amazon and their's.

Really? I don't see anyone complaining about finding 4K content on Netflix, but I do see plenty of people complaining about finding such content if using Amazon. For a start, Netflix do not list the HD and UHD variants of their content separately so you always get the UHD version if there is one available. Why would you even need an option to select HD or UHD and who's opting to watch the HD version rather than the UHD version?

To be fair, Netflix and their GUI make a mockery of Amazon and their's.
It will be interesting to see if Netflix have got their redesign right.
See What’s Next...On TV

I suspect they've optimised the layout based on telemetry on what the majority of people access, similar to the way the Amazon site works.

But I still wonder why they don't normalise the content to 1 tile, and when you click to view the seasons/episodes you can opt for HD or UHD when you playback.

But on netflix and can type in 'HDR' or '4k' and get all relevant titles. Doesn't work on amazon.

But on netflix and can type in 'HDR' or '4k' and get all relevant titles. Doesn't work on amazon.
Yes, risible really, but all the comments here were about navigating the UI, not searching. But Netflix recently have contrived to hide my watch list, god knows how I navigate to it? Is it just me experiencing this?

Yes, risible really, but all the comments here were about navigating the UI, not searching. But Netflix recently have contrived to hide my watch list, god knows how I navigate to it? Is it just me experiencing this?
If it's the new interface with the sidebar it's in there.
The original point of this thread was finding UHD content on Amazon. Not being able to simply search for it seems relevant.

Gotten an answer for this. It seems there's a technical inability to search for UHD material on Prime Video but that there's work ongoing to unify the formats. No idea on timescales.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom