find my iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by snig300, Nov 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    what do you guys think of this? I've just tried it and it seems to work find,I'm just not too sure how useful it will be,the wipe it and pass code are a bit useless as all the finder has to do is turn mobile me off on your phone! I thnk it will more likely be used to send free text messages to the phone!

EDIT JUST FOUND OUT YOU CAN USE THE "RESTRICTIONS" SETTING TO STOP CHANGES TO ALL YOUR STUFF WITH A PASS NUMBER,APPLE COULD HAVE MAYBE MADE THIS A BIT CLEARER BUT IT'S NOW A SPOT ON APP:smashin:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    not unless you have a passcode lock on it anyway, in which case, you lose phone, the finder/thief cant use it as its passcode locked, you then go and remotely wipe; I would argue that it is very useful

3. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    so if you have to have a pass code already on the phone why is part of find my iphone sending a passcode to lock your phone:confused: why don't they just put a password lock on turning mobileme off on the device?and why wuld you want to wipe a phone with a lock already in place?it seems this will only be of the greatest benifit to those that haven't put a lock in place and the phone is found by a thick thief,and for those that do put a lock in place it will be a pain in the ass tapping in the code everytime you want to use the phone, i'm not saying it's not a good idea but just not very well thought out,I bet the next update will have a fix for it tho.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  4. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    you have misunderstood it mate, if you lose it and don't have a passcode lock, you can then remotely lock. If you already have a lock, you can double make sure it's locked

from there, you can wipe

of course in settings, you can set your phone to auto-wipe after ten failed passcode attempts

5. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    it's you thats not getting it,a double passcode!!!!!!,if the code is that weak then make it stronger,no need to go to these lengths for a "stronger" lock,if it's lost you cant send a password lock if the thief has turned mobile me off?

6. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    :suicide:

no, you're still not getting it. :facepalm: if you're phone is set to lock but let's assume when it's lost/stolen it was unlocked because you don't set to autolock. So assuming the thief hasn't turned that off, you can then remotely lock it using your autolock and then secure wipe (of course, as you point out, setting a passcode remotely if you set your phone without passcode all depends on whether the thief has disabled it)

comprende?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  7. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    lol I'm so getting it (god I hope I am, apple must be smarter than me) like I said at the start,it all only really works if a thick thief were to find your phone and not have the brian power to turn mobile me off,you either already have a lock in place so no need for a remote lock or you don't and hope you can remote lock it before the thief turns mobile me off.

8. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    lol, we had the same point (almost) but you talking in French and myself in German ;)

but still, even if you already have a lock and it's locked when stolen/lost, at least you can remote wipe your data

so for phones without passcodes, let's agree it's useful provided the finder doesn't turn it off first :thumbsup:

9. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42

ok we've just moved to Appleland where the thiefs are thick as pig **** and we feel like wiping all the data from a locked phone,thinking that this thick thief will break the lock and see my ipod play list,ok mate I'm now about to send an email telling apple that something this good they should be charging for:smashin:

10. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    don't know about you, but I have my emails on it and I'd rather have a guarantee that is wiped even if I keep my passcode lock on it!

11. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42

really my music is not that bad:blush: yes I really ment to say EMAILS:D

12. wright8

wright8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    how do u turn mobile me off. does the app have to be installed all the time

13. wright8

wright8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    it doesnt matter if u have a lock on or off. just watched the vid on apple site. if u dont have lock turned on, when u click "lock my phone" from mobile me it creates a lock and u type in a code on the website. so they cant turn "mobile me off"

as long as ur quick enought to do this b4 they turn mobile me off but i dont think thats the first thing people will be thinking if they find an iphone

14. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42

thing is if you loose your phone etc it could be hours before you realise and then you have to get to a pc to log on to the site to use mobile me,all the finder/thief has to do is pick up the phone and turn it off,and no you dont need to have the app on the phone all the time,i've deleted mine and I've still got mobile me on there.

15. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    I feel this debate is going to go around in circles, only this time I'm replaced by wright8 :laugh:

16. wright8

wright8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I agree about turning it off but if u send the lock message the phone will still receive it when it is turned on. seems strange apple would do all this but allow anyone to turn off or delete mobile me so easily. if should have a separate password so can't be turned off.

I would know I'm phone was lock in about 10mins so could find any computer or iPhone to send the lock. also I have a lock on all the time so would only use the message feature to offer a reward or threat. lol. then remote wipe just incase.

17. wright8

wright8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    lol. the problem is they are good features but seems stupid u can turn them off so easy. if apple sort that out it would be better.

18. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    one thing I would say in addition is that iphone ownership (especially the 3GS and particularly the iphone 4) are still a tiny fraction of the total mobile phone market, meaning you're average thief or finder may probablly be totally ignorant of this feature and thus even if you they had in their possession for ages, you would have time (as in several hours) to lock, send messages and then remote wipe

19. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42

yep it all depends if you beat the thief to it,just pssword lock mobile me on the phone then it's a great product but as is it's like leaving a high street bank safe open and then expecting the manager whos home in bed to jump up and send a lock code just before his bank gets emptied.

yeah I see your point,think on that email I'm sending Apple I'll ask for a job.

20. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    one thing a thief knows is the ins and outs of the stuff he nicks,where to sell,how much they go for etc just lock the app,job done.

21. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    yep

and who said they were no jobs in this economy ;)

a lot of mobile phone thefts and muggings are opportunistic, it's not like they go on recon missions locating all iphone owners

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  22. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    those "schools of crime" we keep hearing about,I think I know the next lesson subject.

23. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    first time I've heard of that phrase, I thought being a lowlife was a 'learn on the job' type of occupation ;)

but yeah, if someone knows their tech then yes, they probably know what is what with the iphone but I guess, I now need to be on the look out for these class trips from these crime schools! ;)

24. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42

lol guess we watch different Tv show,I'll have to rush this post as I sky+ Question Time;)

So you've never hear people talk about prisions being a learning ground for crime! I need to get out more but then again my phone will be safer in,at least untill they fix that app:)

25. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    yeah I do hear about that about prisons but honestly, I wasn't aware the Tech Daily (or to that effect) was delivered to HMP Slade

26. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    turns out you can put a pass number lock on it though the "restrictions" setting,glad I found the answer before you dc8900:smashin:

27. wright8

wright8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
  28. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    nothing new :rotfl:, been there since the 2g, you can use so you can prevent someone getting your phone and erasing all content and settings

29. snig300

snig300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42

oh please,now don't be all smug,so you didn't think to mention it:laugh: anyway it turns out Apple don't need me now:oops:

30. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    lol, sorry if it comes off as smug, of course, I didn't think of it in relation to this app (plus I set it and then forget about it and only think of it, if something went wrong and I wanted a wipe), that I will give you :smashin:

and lol, looks like the papers are right, there is no jobs in this economy