Find me a pc for under £1000

jonmbarlow

Established Member
Reaction score
I need your help.I am looking to replace my creaky old slow system and i'm looking for a new pc.
Building one myself is not an option trust me i do not have the time nor the skills to do this myself.
I basically need a good gaming pc,i just need the base unit for under £1000 that will especially handle the processor hungry Football Manager and Medieval Total War 2.
I've been looking at some systems on pc options website but i'm no expert at putting a system together so any help would be really appreciated:thumbsup:

What about this Mesh PC ? Motherboard and memory not cutting edge but the spec will eat what you want to do and with DX10 is at least up to date (and £1 under your price :))
http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=221070

PC Advisor - Best Buy - September 2007
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
(2.40GHz ,8MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz)
Mainboard-nForce 650i SLI
4GB DDR2 Memory
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
320MB nVIDIA 8800GTS Graphics
22" Widescreen LCD Display (DVI, MM, 5ms)
LightScribe Super Format 18x DVD Writer
Creative's SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
T6100 - 5.1 Speakers + Subwoofer
6 USB, 2x Firewire, GB LAN
Multi-format Memory Card Reader
Logitech Cordless KB & Optical Mouse
2 Years On-site Warranty (Home Service)

Could you not have someone you know build it for you?

You'd get a lot more for your money if you bought each part seperate from say, overclockers.co.uk.

If you can find someone to build it for you a spec like this would do the job nicely

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 ~ £176.24
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ~ £70.49
2GB (2x1GB) Corsair Twinx XMS2 / PC-6400 5-5-5-18 ~ £78.30
320MB EVGA 8800GTS ~ £179.99
500GB Samsung HD501LJ ~ £62.15
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Silver ~ £37.01
Samsung SH-S203/BEBN ~ £18.67
520W Corsair HX ~ £64.50
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit ~ £69.17

Total of £757

In terms of built system for £1000 you want something based on P35 architecture with 4Gb RAM, a Quad Core processor and an 8800 graphics card as a minimum

Have a look at PC Advisor they have charts of these PCs
e.g.
Chart ranking: power PCs September 07 issue

1st place: Mesh Elite Quad Express-PCA
2nd place: Chillblast Fusion Centaur
3rd place: Arbico CD-8870GS
4th place: Evesham Solar
5th place: CyberPower Infinity 860 (last month 4th place)

(of these the first 2 are the best options)

PS the Mesh is £820 if you remove the monitor & speakers

Thanks for the replies so far.....the mesh computers look pretty good anyone had experiences with these?

I recommend you check the Mesh Care forum in www.hexus.net forums.

I wouldn't recommend them as a number of people have had bad experiences - customer support is lacking.

There was a Watchdog investigation some months ago.

I recommend you check the Mesh Care forum in www.hexus.net forums.
I wouldn't recommend them as a number of people have had bad experiences - customer support is lacking.
There was a Watchdog investigation some months ago.

I had a PC from them before this one. Lasted me 3 years. The graphics card and CPU were both replaced with new under warranty no questions asked. Very happy with the service.

In terms of hexus, I actually think it actually says something good for a company to be prepared to run a forum answering peoples' questions. Also how many people are actually going to post something positive in one of those forums ? I would argue that it is predominantly people with problems who would post there. Indeed I posted a couple of times in there in relation to my issues and they always replied quickly and helpfully.I admit their phone CS leaves a bit to be desired, but have you tried Dell or <insert other PC maker here> and found them better ?

I had a PC from them before this one. Lasted me 3 years. The graphics card and CPU were both replaced with new under warranty no questions asked. Very happy with the service.

In terms of hexus, I actually think it actually says something good for a company to be prepared to run a forum answering peoples' questions. Also how many people are actually going to post something positive in one of those forums ? I would argue that it is predominantly people with problems who would post there. Indeed I posted a couple of times in there in relation to my issues and they always replied quickly and helpfully.I admit their phone CS leaves a bit to be desired, but have you tried Dell or <insert other PC maker here> and found them better ?

I've tried Dell - 3 PCs and 1 laptop in the past 2/3 years for relatives and I've been quite impressed with the customer service. Have to admit the service used to be rubbish a few years a go though.

You would be a fool to buy a pc, you better of building a PC, its very simple. i would go with the specs tinner suggested. if you want better help go to tomhardware forums, they will help you there. if you get a pc from mesh you wont be able to upgrade it overclock it nothing, you will be stuck with a pile of junk. and never get dell they are evil and use cheap components.

www.apple.com/uk/thestore

get an imac, please please please don't waste your time with a pc. i dithered over a mac for about 18months and bought a dell in the mean time. bought an imac just before my exams in june using my uni's education discount (about 10&#37; off, if you know anyone in the education sector) as i was fed up of the mess my pc kept making of things (i study electrical and electronic engineering so i can use a pc quite competently) and wish i'd done so 18months ago.

I hope that's of some help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom