1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finaly ready to purchase but which to choose

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gadgetman, Jul 15, 2004.

1. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well my bonus has finally been awarded which means I can now go plasma shopping. Problem is still to choose which I have whittled it down to 3 and would like to hear peoples views on the final selected plasmas. Being an investment I want the best for my money but at the best price (not necesarily the cheapest). I have decided against the viera as it did not quite look right wall mounted but my final 3 choices are
    Panasonic TH-42PWB6
    Panasonic TH - 42PHD6
    Pioneer PDP-434HDE
    I will also be looking at dvd players to go with above as at the moment I am playing dvds through my xbox since my old dvd player broke and will also be using sky+ which I will be getting to replace my Tivo.
    So my questions are with talk of hdtv from sky in 2 years am I on a false economy choosing the PWB6. Will the 42PHD6 and 434 be able to accepted this technology when it comes.
    Also what dvd player to pair up with the above I was thinking the DMRE85 with the Panasonics and either the Pioneer668 and 868 for the pioneer for the hdmi although I believe the 868 is the better option with line doubling.
    I apreciate your advise as the money is burning a hole in my pocket I have already demoed all of the screens but are trying to weigh up the costs and advantages of each to find out if it is worth the extra cost.

Gadgetman

2. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There have been numerous arguments both for and against these screens. Have a search through some of the past threads. I too had shortlisted the screens you have mentioned and finally went for the Pio 434. I just preferred the picture to the Panasonic models. I ordered my Pio on the same day as Sky announced HDTV but wasn't aware at the time of ordering and so I felt glad that I hadn't gone fo an SD model.

In the end it comes down to personal preferrence. As I said I went for the Pioneer and love it to bits. That's not to say that the Panasonics are worse, but that for me the Pioneer's picture was better.

Oh, and ignore the rubbish about better blacks and the Panasonic. If you weren't aware of this you would have trouble noticing.

3. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We went for the Pioneer back in December and although it was pricey, it's one of the best purchases we've ever made. We're chuffed to bits with it. As Quinny said have a search through the forums for more opinions about the different models (I'm sure you've done that already) but at the end of the day, go with the one you like the look of most and seems future proof enough for you and prepare to be delighted.

4. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no AV expert, but I do find my 434HDG(HDE) can display very "black" black once you 've put up a mild amibient light behind of above this panel.

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Don't forget to add Pioneer 43MXE1, basically a 434HDE without the media box and TV functions, but cheaper and with better processing! As has been said, it's usually a case of which suits your taste rather than which is "better". I'm a Panasonic PHD6 man myself...

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Quite right. I've an MXE-1 on order simply because I prefered the Pioneer picture. If you're thinking of taking the Pioneer route, check it out.

Regards Rob.

7. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    hey Rob where are you ordering from ,what sort of lead time did they give you?

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi NaTT,

Ordered form Joe at TMF, as he is knowlegable & helpfull . Should take delivery within the next week or so, with a bit of luck.

Cheers Rob.

9. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I take it the MXE-1 is basicly the same panel without the tuner box. What about connectors. How do I work out what connectors to get. There seem a whole list for panasonic I take it it is the same with this. Also in the way of dvd players am I right to think hdmi enabled is the right choice.

Gadgetman

10. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I believe The MXE-1 can have one of 2 input cards fitted. PDA-5003 or PDA-5004, or neither depending on your needs.

If you run a search on MXE-1 or one of the card numbers you should find details of the differences between the two. I did look into having a card fitted, but as I am planning to route all the video sources through a Lumagen scaler, I shouldn't need one.

I'm just waiting (hoping) to hear from Joe to confirm that the unit will work without any video card fitted. This would certainly be the best option for me.

As for an HDMI player, I can't see the point as it is limited in its output to 720p. This seems odd, as the screen will then have to convert it to the panel res (768) negating much of the benefit. As I see it (and maybee I'm wrong) it would be much better to feed it its native res, hence the use of a scaler which can be set to do just that, and can be used to route all your video sources with superior scaling & de-interlacing than the panel itself.

Cheers Rob.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    One of the HD panels with a scaler will in the end give the best results. I'd have a look at pioneer and panasonic to decide which picture you prefer, and then see if your budget can extend to a scaler. You really don't need an analogue tuner these days, sky, freeview, cable or even 2 different digital boxes is the way to go. Remember the govt. are sworn to turn analogue transmissions off well inside my TV replacement cycle, by 2010 at latest, and probably well before if you live in the opulent south.