finaly moving from whs 2011, but to what

RobTi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi so had whs since v1 but now the kids have left i swapped my laptop to ipad years back so left with a home built whs with 8Gb ram and a A4 5300 @ 3.4Ghz 13tb storage and a win 10 desktop. looks like this will only now be used to store files as a back up to the window desktop and apple photos. so what would you do, unless you suggest something else ?
Thanks

Try Windows Server Essentials 2016. I looked at the Linux based OS's, TrueNAS in particular, and found WSE2016 much easier to use and configure. TrueNAS is really only suitable if you are an experienced Linux user otherwise I found it far to unintuitive. You will recognise a lot in WSE is similar to WHS.

Try Windows Server Essentials 2016. I looked at the Linux based OS's, TrueNAS in particular, and found WSE2016 much easier to use and configure. TrueNAS is really only suitable if you are an experienced Linux user otherwise I found it far to unintuitive. You will recognise a lot in WSE is similar to WHS.
Thanks will have a read

You can download an evaluation copy of WSE2016 from Microsoft and activate it with a 180 day license. I believe you can reactivate a maximum of 5 times, that's nearly 2.5 years of free use!

You can download an evaluation copy of WSE2016 from Microsoft and activate it with a 180 day license. I believe you can reactivate a maximum of 5 times, that's nearly 2.5 years of free use!
Now that changes things, what happens to the drive pool from what 2011 if I install wse2016

I used Stablebit Drivepool on my WHS and just transfered all my drives to the new WSE server and Drivepool recognised them.

I also use that, oh well nothing gained if I dont give it a try.
Thanks

If you don't want to use WSE as your DNS server there is a registry change to apply before you install the WSE server connector on a client PC. You can also choose not to join the WSE domain using another registry change. Both registry changes can be found online.

I suggest you read as much as you can before adding any clients to the WSE server so you know what works and how for you.

Thanks for your help will have a read first before I commit

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom