Finally time to move from my Toshiba 32" to something bigger?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Andymcs, Nov 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Andymcs

Andymcs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I currently have an approx 7 year old Toshiba 32BV700B and have recently moved into a new flat. The problem is I now sit 3 metres away from the TV and it is like trying to watch programmes on a postage stamp. The TV also doesn't do screen mirroring or anything like that so have to connect it to my laptop/desktop via a cable. I'm now thinking its time for an upgrade. I don't watch much terrestrial TV though when I do watch it I use a BT TV box (minus the BT TV subscription which I canned last year due to not watching it much!). What I do watch are films and american TV series...not streamed though and usually in HD. IF I can get UHD I would watch that as well, again that would be minimal. I've been browsing the forum for a while but keep bouncing between makes and models with each post so am now reaching out to you all for your recommendations based on the above. Is it worth the upgrade (I sit on the floor when watching films for the cinema experience but would prefer to use the couch as its comfier), if so to what, Sony, Samsung, LG.....?? Budget wise i'm quite lucky and could afford a low to mid 4 figure sum but would prefer to keep spend lowish. Picture quality for me is key, I don't game or anything like that. I take people's view on not being able to future proof which is what is making me keep the spend low as I imagine in the not too distant future i'll be forced to upgrade again... The TV would sit under the eaves of the flat (fairly dark), I've measured the area and 55" is probably the biggest I could get away with plus anything bigger would dwarf the rest of the flat. Ideas/suggestions on a postcard please....

Thanks in advance..
    A.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,849
    I made a best buy thread you might be interested in:
    Guide: My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

It categorises models based on what you get extra in each price segment, low, mid and high range.

Should give you an idea whether you can justify spending more based on your own uses and sources.

The main thing to consider right now that once you start to spend more money you are mostly only paying for extra HDR performance, if you don't plan on utilising much HDR you will save a lot and get very good SDR picture quality for a lot less.

The second thing is panel hz, for most people a TV with a 60hz panel is fine, your current TV will have one and the main reason to spend extra on a 120hz model instead is if you want to use motion enhancements in the TVs settings to smooth out the picture/reduce blur.

There are lots of reasons one TV can be ideal to you, but also not to someone else so this template would help determine exactly which model I think suits you:

No TV is perfect. - The same can be said if spending £500 or £5000.

Every time we get a`personal recommendation' or`what the best' or`if I were you' type of the questions, can we remind members of the saying:`one man's meat is another's poison'. We need to construct a profile of your taste for pros, TV use and more importantly your intolerance for specific cons for you to make the right choice. or...you can take the plunge and find out later. Nonetheless even with all the recommendations in the world, make sure you can demo the TV before you buy it, ideally with your own content in a dark demo room which stores such as richer sounds have. If not, make sure you are able to return the TV if you are not happy with it. Buy from a reputable source!

Please answer the following questions:
    1. What are your sources going to be? eg - Do you have fibre internet capable of UHD streams? Will you be buying and using an UHD Blu-Ray player? Netflix? Amazon? Catch up TV? HDR consoles? PC?
    2. SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? eg 20% 60% 20%
    3. Movies, sport, console games, PC use (in percentage)?
    4. How close can you view the TV?
    5. Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on?
    6. What conditions do you like to view in? During the day? At night with lights on? In the dark?
    7. What are you currently using and what do you expect by upgrading to a new TV?
    8. Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? Both frame interpolation and frame insertion let you do this, read more about it here. They both have their upsides and downsides, so read carefully.

Please rearrange the following PQ attributes, in descending importance:

Blacks
    SDR Brightness
    SDR Colour Saturation
    SDR Colour Accuracy
    HDR Brightness
    HDR Colour Accuracy
    HDR Colour Saturation
    Local dimming
    How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings)

Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:

Motion Blur
    Motion Judder
    Temporary image retention
    Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming
    Soap Opera Effect
    3:2 Pulldown Judder with 24hz movies. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
    Loss of detail in dark areas
    Reflective screens
    Haloing
    Colour banding. See: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth (warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity)

Now which is most important to you?

Price
    Connections
    Smart TV (which apps)?
    HDR PQ
    SDR PQ
    Sound

3. Andymcs

Andymcs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your answer Dodgexander, I've been reading your guides (brilliant BTW) but each time I see another thread I change my mind....to answer your questions:

1. I have BT infinity (76mb) but currently do not subscribe to any UHD sources. Most of my TV use is ripped material run from a hard drive via my laptop or desktop
    2. 20% SD, 70% HD, 10% UHD
    3. Movies & TV series 100% (no sport!)
    4. 3 metres is the distance on my couch (i'd prefer not to sit on the floor
    5. Straight on (i live on my own)
    6. At night with lights on
    7. Toshiba 32BV700B 32". Hoping to increase the size as its like looking at a postage stamp from the couch. Also my TV doesn't really display HD particularly well due to its age.
    8. My main interest is picture quality (haven't read the link yet but I will, thanks).

HDR Colour Accuracy (for wildlife programme, sci-fi movies etc)
    Blacks
    HDR Colour Saturation
    Local dimming
    SDR Brightness
    SDR Colour Saturation
    SDR Colour Accuracy
    How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings)

Price
    HDR PQ
    SDR PQ
    Connections
    Sound
    Smart TV (which apps)

For the following my TV is so old and tbh, very cheap - it cost me less than £300 and was an ex-demo model bought in an emergency when my TV broke, I've probably got used to all of these, therefore do not notice them. Picture quality for me is king (although I've slightly contradicted myself above by putting price first). I watch mostly HD stuff and feel i'm not seeing the best of it due to the size and age of my current set.

Motion Blur
    Motion Judder
    Temporary image retention
    Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming
    Soap Opera Effect
    3:2 Pulldown Judder with 24hz movies. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
    Loss of detail in dark areas
    Reflective screens
    Haloing
    Colour banding. See: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth (warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity)

Hope this helps though I take your point on the different models being a personal choice, even a guide as to what models to look at would be helpful, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017
  4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,849
    Based on your choices and preferences:
    Top option:
    LG C7 or B7 OLEDs. You can spend more on OLED models from Panasonic and Sony to get better picture processing but the extra probably isn't worth it.

Mid range:
    Sony 55XE9005 - best budget HDR TV.
    Samsung 55Q7 - Better for HDR colour than the Sony but in other areas not.

Budget:
    Hisense 55N6800 or Sony 55XE75

Between the two budget options the Hisense does at least give you more colour saturation with HDR but the Sony for everything non-HDR is more than enough. Both these TVs will accept a HDR signal but they shouldn't be purchased with HDR in mind, they are very much incapable in the HDR department.

Its up to you, but I personally would question the mid range market right now unless you have plethora of HDR sources, it would be better to just buy with your current content in mind, so therefore for you I would say the best value is to be found in either one of the budget models or an OLED. I don't really think the in between mid range models are as suited.

Or is an OLED too much money for you? People have been getting the LG OLEDs for as little as £1500 so with black friday close I am sure you will be able to find one at that price also.

5. Andymcs

Andymcs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats fantastic, thank you so much for replying, you've covered all the ones I was considering but in a perfectly understandable order. The LG OLED is where I first started and then migrated to the Sony and Hisense, I'll see what black friday throws up :)

Thanks loads again and have a great weekend.
    A.