finally settled on the G10, but newbie needs help

Wump

Standard Member
Hello, Thanks to everyone that helped out with my original query on which TV to go for.

I iwill be using the set for a fair amount of gaming but wanted to ask advice in general.

Bare in mind that I am literally a newbie here, I know next to nothing about new TV's and still have an old Sony Vega! It weighs approx. 3 metric tonnes I think!

So the question is really, do I have to calibrate? if so how do I go about this?

Do i need to 'run' the TV in for several hundred hours before I game on it? gaming sessions may well be 2-4 hrs but I am not averse to having a break! :D and turning off or whatevver for 15 mins or so.

Anything else that would be usefull to know?

Many many thanks for your help in advance!! :hiya:

IvanI

Novice Member
Hello, Thanks to everyone that helped out with my original query on which TV to go for.

I iwill be using the set for a fair amount of gaming but wanted to ask advice in general.
well hello fellow gamer! what will it be? x360 or ps3? :)

Bare in mind that I am literally a newbie here, I know next to nothing about new TV's and still have an old Sony Vega! It weighs approx. 3 metric tonnes I think!
hehehe, same thing here. I got V10 yesterday after 5 awesome years with Sony 36HQ100 36" CRT. Weighs at 98kg. O_O

So the question is really, do I have to calibrate? if so how do I go about this?
well, if you got the money and some professional calibrator (being a hardware device or a person who will do it for you) than do it.
However, some review sites post their post calibration settings so you can use those if you wish.

Do i need to 'run' the TV in for several hundred hours before I game on it? gaming sessions may well be 2-4 hrs but I am not averse to having a break! :D and turning off or whatevver for 15 mins or so.
Well, it is recommend to do the 200hrs "break in" procedure in order for phosphor cells to properly "settle in" which will get you better picture quality (or so they say, I'm still running my break in). That is because during first 200 hours of use, phosphor cells are most "sensitive" and TV should be handled with care. This is also used to minimize the possibility of image retention or worse: burn in. However, neoPDP panels (G10 is one of those) is very if almost totally immune to retention/burn in (that is, you reeeeally need to mess up the image in order to provoke burn in/IR).
The general method for break in during the first 200 hours is:
1. Keep your contrast and brightness under 50% (on G10 I believe that max setting for both of them is 60, so keep it under 30 (like 25).
2. Switch to Cinema mode
3. Try not to display static images (that includes channel logo, but those transparent ones are pretty safe).
4. If you can, set the picture to Zoom 1 in order to completely remove the logo (although you lose some picture information, depending on the scene).
5. Don't play games during the first 200hrs, you can eventually try them (like 15 minutes or something), because the HUD in most games is the problem (some games, like Assassin's Creed on X360 allow you to completely remove the HUD)
6. Watch a little bit of everything: SD signal, DVB-T, HD (720p/1080p), etc. in all modes, set the image like in points 1., 2. and 3.

rewerb

Novice Member

Forget about calibration until you've done at least 100hrs on the TV (need to break in the phosphor)

No reason you cant game if you're going to take regular breaks. But dont turn the TV off when you have a break, switch to a full screen Freeview channel and leave it on there. And if you do see any image retention, it will "wash away" as you watch other channels.

tele1962

Distinguished Member

Hello mate,
Ok then no need to worry about gaming etc just do not go on for 12 hours at a time.:D
Logo's no problem at all, no need for zoom.
Burn in period do not bother to much just go easy for the first 100 hours or so.
As for settings.
Cinema
Brightness 27 clicks (from the left)
Contrast 33
Colour 30
Sharpness 0 HD,Up a bit for SD
Colour Temp Warm.
Finally PN-R Off
Colour Managment OFF
Overscan OFF
Eco OFF
See what you think.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Wump

Standard Member
Hi Tele, fantasteek, thankyou for your help. Prob won't be picking TV up for around a week or so as bit busy at the moment.

So there is no need to calibrate it with one of those dvd calibration thingamy-bob whatsits? :rotfl:

Oh yea and you remnded me about eco mode! Does this bugger the picture if it's on then? Was hoping to use it as it was one of my ways of convincing the wife that its kind and furry to the environment!

How much power do they use compared to say a 37 or 42" LCD such as the Panasonic or Sony or an LG or....? This was one of my main questions actually and I forget to ask in the original post. Sorry for all the questions you guys are being of a great help and your advice is very helpful!

:hiya:

airmyx

Novice Member
I set my 50PZ80 to Cinema mode but ignored all the other break-in advice. I only use it for gaming and occasional movies so whilst I have it since March - I doubt I'm even past the "break in" period yet.

Played some mammoth gaming sessions (with static huds!) quite early on and have noticed a little retention but no burn.

I hear the G10 is even more resistant to damage so (without wanting to sound rude to other members) I'd personally take some of the more overzealous 'run in' advice with a pinch of salt.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Hi Tele, fantasteek, thankyou for your help. Prob won't be picking TV up for around a week or so as bit busy at the moment.

So there is no need to calibrate it with one of those dvd calibration thingamy-bob whatsits? :rotfl:

Oh yea and you remnded me about eco mode! Does this bugger the picture if it's on then? Was hoping to use it as it was one of my ways of convincing the wife that its kind and furry to the environment!

How much power do they use compared to say a 37 or 42" LCD such as the Panasonic or Sony or an LG or....? This was one of my main questions actually and I forget to ask in the original post. Sorry for all the questions you guys are being of a great help and your advice is very helpful!

:hiya:
Yeh mate still calibrate if you want after all it's your G10,
the settings i gave are a guide line,just see what you like.:thumbsup:.

Eco can be ok for day time brightly lit viewing but at night turn it off.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom