1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally Purchased LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by big ears, Jun 11, 2005.

1. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I would let everybody know that I have finally decided and purchased an LCD TV.

The two options I narrowed it down to were the PHILIPS 23PF9946 & the SONY KLV-L23M1. I went to my local John Lewis where they were both side by side so I could get a great idea of them both. I set both of them up identically with picture contrast, brightness, sound volume etc and in my opinion the PHILIPS blew the SONY away.

The picture quality on the PHILIPS was far superior than that of the SONY. I could not believe this especially as this particular SONY model has the WEGA ENGINE SYSTEM in it which did not make that great a difference. Also I found that the PHILIPS'S sound volume was tremendous. Once again the SONY failed to deliver especially as it has more powerful speakers.

You can guess where all these positives for the PHILIPS and negatives for the SONY led my decision in the one to purchase. I went for the PHILIPS £695.00 with a free 5 year guarantee and free delivery.

I will receive this on Tuesaday and will post an update once set up at home just to let you all know if it is as great as it was in the shop.

If anybody has any comments on this I would be interested to read them.

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi big ears,

I'm glad you decided on the LCD although I have yet to buy one. I favoured the Philips 17PF9946 for the kitchen and was hoping to get it for my birthday this month! Husband says our old Sony portable is just fine. ( I need one of those miserable face icons at this point!)

I found it very interesting that the picture quality on the Philips was far superior than that of the Sony. Apparently in the 17" screen the sound is not good.

Let us know your views on this when it arrives.

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I meant to say the sound is not good on the Sony in the 17" model.

4. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have it all set up and I must say that it is brilliant. It was money well spent.

5. Pixie_0

Pixie_0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya :hiya:
    Can you tell me how the contrast is on this telly as it says 400:1 ?
    also how is the viewing angles? and finally, is it or is it not HD ready?

I'd be sooo grateful if you could help me out! cheers