1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally plasma on wall!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by suniil, Feb 21, 2005.

1. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Hi all,

Thanks for the help and ideas

Finally my plasma is inner plasterboard wall and rock solid!!

There were 2 layers of plasterboard (12 mm each) on both sides with timber studs 16/17 inchs apart. My screen is 37 inch

Steps
    a. Got 2 MDF with size (20x35x18/20x35x6), fillers and wooden screws from B&Q
    b. Another same size plasterboard (20x35x6)-->(thought of replacing 6 mm mdf with plasterboard for a better finish on surface and got the idea from DIY home cinema of this forum
    c. Levelled 18mm mdf and fixed with 2 screws on to plasterboard and then cut the outline of MDF on plasterboard.
    d. Removed the plasterboard and tried to fix 18 mm MDF and 6 mm plasterboard, but for some reason outer alignment was not correct and dropped the idea of 6 mm plasterboard
    e. Glued both MDFs, drilled necessary holes and a big hole for the cables
    f. Made a trial with 4 screws on frames and plasma hung on that.. seems to be rock solid and double checked by hanging 50 kg on a SINGLE screw.
    g. Removed the panel, fixed with all the screws, pulled the cables and another string for pulling add-on cables, filled the gaps and painted (not applied finishing touches, will be changing the color in 1 months time)
    h. And finally my plasma panel on wall!!

Alltogether took around 3-4 hours, but with good finish (This is my first DIY project) and my wife helped a bit to hold plasma, MDF etc

And finally queries(!!!)

a. From PC to VGA seems to be fine
    b. I've tried with DVD(Panasonic SCHT520) to plasma (component to component) with quality cable from maplin and picture is grainy (??) Returned the cable
    c. DVD->scart->JS converter->VGA to screen: no signal (i assume i've to activate scart output on DVD, but without seeing the menu how can i!!?, please help)

Thanks in Advance
    N2P

2. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    May I ask why the two sheets of MDF??

In total, theyre 24mm thick, (1" inch)...a pretty dense & solid combo??

3. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    B&Q have only 18 mm max. thickness. So i added 6 mm to make up 24 mm thickness, which perfectly matches with my plasterboard thickness (12x2)

Sorry for the confusion, actually the 6 mm plasterboard did'nt worked out properly and the same replaced with 6 mm MDF

N2P

4. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    take it through to a portable or other tv and set it up via scart on the DVD menu, should get a funny coloured picture because its still outputing component.........but allows you to change it.

this is a prob i've come across a few times but the opposite way around...............as most DVD's are set to RGB when bought........hook them up via component..........................no picture.....................not fun if you don't have another TV to change it.

cheers, tam

5. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    doh..............or easy way hook in back up to plasma via component....................and change it then.......................pic should disappear :smashin:

6. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Thanks. Unfortunately i do not have a portable / other TV to set this up. I've to order component cables