1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally ordered my Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tonyrec, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Tonyrec

Tonyrec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This is my first post although ive been lurking for a few weeks.

Ive watched the John Lewis debate unfold and decided to take the plunge yesterday and ordered a 42" Pannasonic Viera from....youve guessed it, their Waford branch(£2490). :clap:

Many thanks to everyone on here because you have saved me a fortune and made it an enjoyable experience. :thumbsup:

Im expecting delivery in the next 2 weeks when they get a fresh stock of the stands....im also in 2 minds whether or not to go for the E85 as i already have an E55 and we intend to upgrade to Satelite +.

Ive got a few questions relating to the Panny which i couldnt find specific answers to in the archive.
    We intend to wall mount the unit and the new room is being built at present and we want to hide the cables in the wall etc.

Whats the best value wallmount for the Panny?
    How many cables come out of the Viera and can i reduce the amount?
    We need to connect an E55 DVD, Playstation 2 and Sky Satellite unit. How do we do this and also, we would like to have these units a good distance from the TV......near to where we are sitting so its only the Plasma on the wall.

Over the next few weeks we would like to buy a speaker system but our problem at the moment is getting the cabling sorted for the builders next week.

I appreciate that theres a few questions here but any further help would be appreciated. :lease:

2. kevducky

kevducky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done in getting the order in. Phoned JL today to see if they would do a price match on the upgrade from the Pan 55 to 85. at £449. He basically told me to get knooted as Welyn Garden have messed up and I should be grateful about getting a cheap deal. They were now putting a stop to these prices.

He also told me that as I had sky, I would be better off going for Sky+ rather than the 85.

How has your 55 been?

3. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what did they say about putting a stop to this?

4. Tonyrec

Tonyrec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    JL Welwyn are my local and i did try them first but they were very very unhelpful and quoted me £3699.

JL Watford offered the whole package to me for £2499 without any quibbles and indeed that was the first price he mentioned.
    Out of curiostity, i called JL Welwyn back and they said,"where do Watford get those prices from"? :mad:
    They said that they might price match but it would take at least 7 days to get a reply but when i mentioned that it should only be a phone call they were not amused.I didnt want to take a chance so i called JL Watford back and bought one on the spot.

How can 2 shops be sooo different?

The E55 has been superb, no probs whatsoever but i think that i will spend the £200 upgrade money on Sky+. The better option ive been told.

Just need to figure out these connections before next week :rolleyes:

5. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have got my 37" on reserve at JL welyn, also waiting the delivery of stands. there were very helpfull when i called them, and even called my local branch in manchester to price match (they wouldnt) so have ordered it via Welyn. I did think about upgrading to the 42" the other day but was told the price match deal was no longer available! seems alot of JL wires getting crossed, and basicaly its just a lottery on who you get to talk too. (wonders if the stands not being available is a ploy to get us to shop elsewhere, have been told could be 7th of Dec before they come in! :rolleyes:

6. kevducky

kevducky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told by JL Cheadle that Welyn had actually price matched (for my 37" )with a local store who had withheld the DVD recorder and stand. Welyn had made a mistake but before JL had suused this out People, I assume from this forum had put the orders in - Well Done the person who started it all.

ps Cheadle have sussed but maybe not others :thumbsup:

7. phoTToniq

phoTToniq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it too late to get in on this? If not what should i be ordering..

8. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i ordered the 42" Viera with the upgrade to the E85 on monday from watford for £2698,i too have to wait for the stand,and they will send from the london warehouse when all is in,so i saved on the £65 postage :)
    yes a big thanks to all,must have saved me a few hundred quid,so i will get a good receiver and some speakers,(don't tell the wife :nono: )

steve

9. Tonyrec

Tonyrec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can anyone help with the questions in my original post please? :lease:

10. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best value wll amount i have seen comes from AV-sales, they do a standard bracket, but then you also need an extension kit.

How many cables come out of the unit depends on what you wnat to connect and how! Youe will need to get a an RF feed to the panel, a scart for the E55 ans scart for the sky? If however your thinking of buying an amp in future then i would run a component cable up to it as well.

Hope this helps!!

11. Tonyrec

Tonyrec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im a complete novice so i apologise for the basic questions here.

Is there a way that i can get one cable only up to the TV to run all the above from some sort of 'control box' across the other side of the room or do i have to site the E55 and Sky box directly below theTV?

Also, is there an optimum height for a wall mount or is it down to personal choice?

12. Tonyrec

Tonyrec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ooops.....didnt realise that theres a special section for these newbie enqs. :blush:

13. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could use a quintro scart switcher? and then juts run one lead up to the screen. I have one that i will be selling in a week or so as i won;t need one now (going through a 3805 amp)

14. Tonyrec

Tonyrec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is it better to just buy an Amp?

Id rather hide all the cables in the wall and under the floor etc whilst the room is being built rather than have to redesign it later for a future upgrade.

15. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your going to buy an amp. then it would be better to run the cables now. What amp you buy will tell you what cables you need. I will use my denon 3805 to send a componet signal to my plasma, but i (well the wife) will still use the hd recorder with a scart lead!! You sound like you would benefit from visiting an av shop to see/hear some units.

16. Tonyrec

Tonyrec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Had a phone call from JL who are delivering our Viera next week now that the stands are in stock. :smashin:
    We also decided to go for the E85 in the package as well. Cant wait. :thumbsup:

17. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

i went for the same, i am going to run 2 x decent fully wired scarts (QED) to the unit, an rf cable and mark grants component. This with my amp give me enough flexability to use most products with the unit :thumbsup:

18. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    looks like i have tha same too,(viera,E85)
    i was going to these scarts
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGV7000.html
    i don't think mark grant does scarts at the mo,but i will order the component from him,do i need to order any other cables from MG,

i am thinking of getting some 5.1 speakers,do i need an av amp or can the speakers run from the E85,
    i was looking at these
    http://ws1.hughesdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PAN-SCHT870
    but can the E85 be connected to them
    or
    http://ws1.hughesdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PAN-SCHT05
    as this is a receiver and speakers

any views on this
    (sorry if going off topic a bit)

steve