1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally ordered my plasma today!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by loxster, Aug 26, 2005.

1. loxster

loxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:
    thanks to whoever put the link to ebuyer on the forum!

couldnt miss this offer £999 with wall bracket.

now i know some of you out there will scoff at my choice but after taking a step back and looking at the whole high/def situation,ive decided to wait a while and let sky h/d get established and also give the plasma market time to settle and let technology improve.who knows maybe in 2-3yrs time sky h-d will only be a tenner more a month and a quality plasma(42") will have come down to a grand or so!
    i would then relegate the pe50 to bedroom duties and invest in a new set for the lounge.

now i know there are lots of opinions on what is the right or wrong thing to do but at the end of the day its my decision that counts so buying with my head/wallet this was what ive done.
    cheers. :D

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Nice one Loxster, you have thought about things and made the right choice IMO.

I'm about to dip a toe into the plasma market, and I won't be going HD either. Amongst other reasons, I want a well developed SD panel rather than relatively new technology HD panel. I'll pocket the difference, and if HD makes a big impact in the next 12 months, I'll move the SD panel to another room, and buy a newer HD panel than is available now.

Let us know your thoughts when you have it installed :)

3. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    What have you done Loxster! You've made me want to buy one now!

What are the chances of John Lewis price matching this?

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Non-existent at a guess

5. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  6. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,392
    It's also the route I went down. I don't really watch football so sky hd wouldn't really offer me that much at the moment. I'd rather wait a few years for it to get more mainstream and enjoy my lovely PWD7 for a great price. :thumbsup:

7. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Ok, next question, has anyone bought from Ebuyer before and if so, what are your experiences of them? Would you recommend them for something like this?

8. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As long as ebuyer has what i need in stock i buy from them. They are the cheapest online shop for most things and i've bought tonnes of stuff from them in the past few years. They have never let me down.

With regards to buying a plasma TV, i'm sure you will be in the same boat as any other online shop. If its faulty you will need to arrange to send it back within 2 weeks, pay for the delivery charge which is usualy refundable if a fault is found and you will get a replacement. Thats the worst case scenario. More than likely everything will be fine and you will enjoy a top notch plasma and the lowest price in the UK (possibly).

If your worried about buying throug them, dont be, i've bought things from them for years and everything has been as expected and delivered ontime using City Link.

GL!

9. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    Oh no - I want one now!! Can't get my head around if HD is worth the extra pennies or not. I do watch mostly sports but who's to say HD will be reasonably priced within the next 2 years anyway?!?!? Panny 500 for £1,569 (without WallMount) or this PE50 for £999 with??!?!

10. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    My mind's made up. I am getting one this afternoon.

Agree with many others about HD content and how widespread it'll be in 6 months time. The reality is that this time next year it might be worth a look, but to be honest I can't see myself paying up to £400 for the box and extra subscription in 5 or 6 months time anyway.

And in a years time I'll be able to get an HD plasma which is better than anything on offer now.

11. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'm sure you'll be fine with ebuyer but I'll never buy from them again after a couple of bad experiences in the past.

I have paid extra for delivery to get things earlier and they didn't get sent on time even though they were in stock.

I also had another problem where my order didn't get sent and that's when I discovered the biggest downside to ebuyer, the customer services is the worst ever. Absolutely no way of contacting them by phone and everything is done by email with a 2 day response time if you're lucky.

I really hope that everything goes well with your order and I have ordered stuff before without incident. I would only ever consider them again if something was a complete and utter bargain as it's not worth the stress if something goes wrong. Sounds like your plasma fits into the bargain category, so I would maybe have been tempted too.

12. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Regarding HD, it's very important to me because I'll have an Xbox 360 in 3 months time, so I would be daft to get an SD panel. But I won't knock others that do this if it's only for TV/DVD watching. I'm sure you'll be delighted with this display at the bargain price.

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I hadn't looked at the link and for some reason assumed this was a PW7!!! Might be tempted for the bedroom. Why did I click on the link, why?!?!

14. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I've been told that to all intents and purposes this is an HD TV - apart from the fact that it's lacking the HDMI connection. What does the xbox connect through (pretty sure now I've asked you're gonna say hdmi!)

The only deal anywhere near this is digital direct who are doing the free DVD recorder and pedestal stand for £1170ish.

15. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    360 will be component output.
    Does this set support hi def feeds, (720P) through component then? Is it a 1024x768 panel?

Only other bummer I noticed is that it does not come with a stand, just a wall mount, how much is the stand seperately?

So many questions, I'm gonna find out for myself. Back in a bit. :)

16. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
  17. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going through the same thought process, though I'm after a 42inch panny and not the 37inch.

For the 42inch PV500 John Lewis offer it with a wall mount + 5 yr guarantee (which is typically £600 from comet - which I always get with my tv's) for £2495...

...The 42inch PE50 is £1460, so add in 600 quid for the 5 year guarantee its works out that the latest HD technology is costing me about £400 - I think I'll pay that extra so I can play my xbox 360 in high def and enjoy upscaled movies as well in the meantime whilst HD kicks off for real...

18. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Theres some dodgy logic going on there regarding prices. Why are you not comparing the PE50 price from JL as well? Thats £1795, so £700 cheaper, and you still get the 5 year warranty.

You also get the free DVd recorder which could easily be sold for at least £100, although I don't know if this also comes with the PV500?

19. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry new to this game - just realised how damn good John Lewis's prices are - never though a high st player would be so competitive :clap:

you're right should have compared like-to-like...so there you have it £700 for HD - makes the choice much more transparent

20. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'm not bothered about the warranty. I'll probably only be keeping this for a year or so and then getting an HD set... if it goes wrong within a year I'm covered and to be honest paying an extra £4/500 on a £1k set doesn't make sense to me...

21. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    I'm with you chaps - just bought one for £999. I was waiting for a machine i liked cosmetically with £2500 burning away in my pocket. I've just saved £1500 & have a machine that's highly rated even if it's not HD. HD will come down in price in a couple of years along with better plasmas than currently available & so i'll reinvest then.

Like someone else said - top notch SD versus 1st breed of HD - no contest.

There's only 10 left!!

22. loxster

loxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only 5 left now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smashin:

23. chrisw

chrisw