1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally made up my mind which plasma - thanks for all the expert advice!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Stampax, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    So after many months of considering which plasma, being fairly definite many times and then changing my mind, switching between sizes, makes and everything else, i've finally ordered a plasma - a TH37PV500.

Massive thankyou to everyone that offered advice and discussion on these forums - this is such a useful place full of really nice people - i wish all forums, espech technology ones were so friendly.

Anytime, i've become really interested in plasmas and hi def technology since i've starting looking, so imagine i'll prob continue to hang around here and discuss all the changes etc to the plasma scene - any maybe offer advice to the newbies that come on here like i was a while back.

Cheers again guys!!!! :smashin:

2. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck to you mate,hope you dont have any issues with it.

Check back and let us know how y gettin on :smashin:

3. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great to hear Stampax.....they really are lovely sets

4. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stampax, I did the same as you - soaked up the advice here and ordered the same set as you which I have had since last week. I can categorically say I am more than happy with it. Have tonight been watching "Lost" on Sky (C4) and a couple of DVDs through my new Denon 2910 hooked up via HDMI - the picture is absolutely superb and I know you'll enjoy your purchase as much as I am!

5. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Got to say that you cannot go far wrong with the PV500. I bought mine a couple of months ago after agonising for ages. It is a brilliant bit of kit. picture is great, sound is fab through the built in speakers (saving up for a separate amp and speakers but other things taking priority at the mo).
    You will not be dissapointed. Dont be put off by the threads on here stating the hundred and one things that are wrong with the set. I have had absolutely no problems at all since I first switched it on. Screen burn - blagh. The wife switches cbeebies on for our nipper and has it on for hours and hours. No sign of image retention or screen burn.
    No horizontal line across the screen, no humming noise, no problems. :smashin:

Savour the moment when the big, beautiful box arrives through your door. :) :) :)

6. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    and I'm literally popping into town to begin negotiations with mr John Lewis. I have to thank this forum too for easing me down the route of a 37" PV500.

7. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incidentally, was talking to a guy in LE Concepts (www.leconcepts.com) who have a store up here. He said that screen burn basically isn't an issue. Any image retention can be cleared by putting the channel onto an untuned channel (i.e. snowy picture) for 30 mins and image retention is gone. Apparently they've been doing this for years with Panasonic and Pioneer panels.

Don't know how accurate this is - just telling you what he said.

I have to say this is one piece of kit that I am genuinely proud to own and, for once, don't have to keep justifying the cost in my mind.

8. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I bought my 37PV500 based on this forums findings and have never looked back - I have also had no problems with my unit altho I wont describe it as "perfect" for the simple reason that starts a whole new debate!!!

I cannot fault it tho - The picture quality was loads better than I expected it to be and with decent leads my DVD playback picture is breathtaking!

CK

9. Hawaiian Floyd

Hawaiian Floyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to must pass a massive thanks to this forum. I've now had my 42" PV500 for a week now and I'm massively impressed by it. PQ is superb for most of the Sky channels and DVB. DVD through Component is just sensational. Even my laptop connected through VGA looks great.

Wife loves it, kiddies love it - we all love it !

Now for the only slight issue - Football on Sky Sports 1 didn't look great. The crowd and grass appeared to be a bit Blochy but I've seen this effect on Widescreen Sony CRT's so I put it down to Sky ! Tried all the modes (Cinema, Normal, Dynamic etc.) but none really improved it - I'll just wait for Sky HD.

Was watching the new series - Lost on C4 last night and both the wife and I were ducking on the sofa as bits were flying off the plane !

Got mine from Letsgodigital.co.uk for £2359 including Panasonic stand, DMR - ES10 DVD recorder and delivery - next day delivery too.

Thanks again all.

10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    Don't forget to fill in the PV500 poll and make a comment.

Thanks,

Mal

PV500 poll here

11. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    DSBaker,

Iam really envious of you having that HDMI Denon player.What's the PQ like ? Have you compared it to an RGB or Component through the same player as there are quite a few people on here that say there's lots of artifacting on panny digital inputs.I hope this isn't the case.

12. xprezz

xprezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered my 42" PV500 three days ago and the wait is killing me but I am glad that it looks like I am joining an ever increasing club of happy owners :)

13. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Well ordered yesterday - recieved today!!!! Gotta get the gear for wall hanging and the extra wires I need, so wont go up till tomorrow (or the next day), but, hey, even oin the floor its a nice looking thing!!!!

14. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've barely had a chance to properly play with it yet (there are DOZENS of settings you can change on this thing) but the PQ is, without doubt, the best I've had from any DVD player. I've had Chinese/Korean cheapies right through to Pioneer's through RGB scart (NS-DV99 all-in-one) and Sony/Panasonic models via component. This is easily the sharpest, most vivid player I've had - but then so it should be.

Can't see the artefacts myself, and I'm a nitpicker. Too busy enjoying it!!! I have to say the real revelation, however, is the sound - MUCH punchier and impressive than I am used to or was expecting.

(By the way - bought a Toshiba SD350E initially for HDMI. Took it back after two days. Sometimes the extra outlay is worth it.)

15. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Well been playing with my new plasma - and so far VERY pleased. Will post some pics of my set up, but for now, just like many other people have already said - anyone considering what plasma to get - YOU WONT BE SORRY WITH THE PV500!!!!!