• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Finally, I have my 'mini' studio/decks setup...

AudioGuru

Established Member
i KNOW THIS ISN'T HOME CINEMA but there's nowhere else to put it is there?!

Ok so this is what Ive been up to for the last two days....
Why two days? I have been busy getting the speakers tuned just right, setting up the network on the P4 and general wiring, calibrating and testing etc...
Its nowhere near perfect and I will upgrade it gradually once Ive finished my hifi, home cinema and gaming rig! But it does do what I need it to for now.
n529484464_818755_2015.jpg

n529484464_818754_1040.jpg

n529484464_818753_179.jpg

n529484464_818752_9203.jpg

n529484464_822076_6613.jpg

n529484464_822075_5747.jpg

n529484464_822074_4746.jpg

I moved the p4 in there so I can record my mixes digitally with Creative's Wave Studio and then convert to uncompressed 224bit mp3 format;)
Jade's going to take some photo's of me later in-mix so I'll upload them later lol...

And the kind of stuff I'm going to be playing.....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWtmwjBAC8k[/YOUTUBE]

HIPHOPNRAP

Established Member
GREAT LITTLE SETUP YOU HAVE THERE,I'M JUST ABOUT TO START MY DJ BOOTH IN MY LOFT,PROBABLY IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS,I HAVE HAD MY SL1210'S FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS NOW AND THEY ARE STILL MINT,I HAVE A NUMARK MIXER,LOVE SCRATCH MIXING AND TRICKS,MY VINYL IS MOSTLY FROM THE 80'S-2000, ALL OR MOST OF IT IS OLD SCHOOL HIP HOP,(AS YOU CAN TELL BY MY FORUM NAME)
LOVE THE DECK COVERS FOR YOUR TECHNICS,
SO GOOD LUCK WITH STARTING YOUR HOME CINEMA,IF YA NEED SOME ADVICE OR WANT TO LOOK AT MY PICS,FEEL FREE:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

AudioGuru

Established Member
GREAT LITTLE SETUP YOU HAVE THERE,I'M JUST ABOUT TO START MY DJ BOOTH IN MY LOFT,PROBABLY IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS,I HAVE HAD MY SL1210'S FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS NOW AND THEY ARE STILL MINT,I HAVE A NUMARK MIXER,LOVE SCRATCH MIXING AND TRICKS,MY VINYL IS MOSTLY FROM THE 80'S-2000, ALL OR MOST OF IT IS OLD SCHOOL HIP HOP,(AS YOU CAN TELL BY MY FORUM NAME)
LOVE THE DECK COVERS FOR YOUR TECHNICS,
SO GOOD LUCK WITH STARTING YOUR HOME CINEMA,IF YA NEED SOME ADVICE OR WANT TO LOOK AT MY PICS,FEEL FREE:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks mate;) They'e actually BSR 150's ( 1210 copies ) I've done quite a bit of work to them to get them sounding nice, working more like a 1210, and looking nice!
I sprayed them myself about 10 years ago and really like how the purple came out!
A little example of what I've done - replaced all the tone arm wiring with new technics wires, replaced the crappy headshells with soundlab ones, replaced the pitch controllers with new ones and reversed their position ( used to have to push forward to up the speed and wanted them the same as 1210's ie - pull back! ) Which meant reworking the mounts inside! And sprayed them. And of course, can't forget the Stanton's, They make all the difference!

h4rtey

Standard Member
would love to have the space for what u have. But for all the work time (n prob money) spent wou;dnt it of been cheaper to buy 1210s?

AudioGuru

Established Member
would love to have the space for what u have. But for all the work time (n prob money) spent wou;dnt it of been cheaper to buy 1210s?

I see your point but here's what swung it for me....
The decks cost me £50 for the pair with a little numark mixer
from an old friend, and the costs of the modifications on top of that and that new mixer you see in the pics probably worksout quite a bit cheaper!;) ( Doesn't mean I haven't wanted a pair mind:D )
I am looking at my options tho...
Stanton?
Technics?
Vestax?
Numark?
Can't make my mind up yet but I allready know which cartridges I'll be using with the new decks! Ortofon Concords:thumbsup:

mooperman

Distinguished Member
i used to use concords with my 1210's and they sound superb.... nice to see that some old school vinyl boys are still rockin it out there, to many DJ's gone to CD only these days....

what kinda tunes you playin dude?

:thumbsup:

AudioGuru

Established Member
I hear ya there MooperMan! You can't beat the feeling of vinyl!!
At present Im putting up with my oldskool hardcore/happy hardcore/Drum&Bass and oldskool house!
However, Luckely I still have some friends on the scene ( Ive been away from it for far to long! about 11-12 years:eek: )
And one of them is going to loan me a pile of deep progressive and bouncy house! Maybe some slightly old now Tidy Trax material aswell!
Haha, Im listening to Ann Savage right now actually:clap:

mooperman

Distinguished Member
ah it always helps to have people still workin on the scene, i gave up my DJ'n last October after it started to get to busy and wanted to be on the other side of the decks more...... i do sometimes miss it but think i was ready to knock it on the head (i am 31 after all!!)... :rolleyes:

Have you even seen the final scratch stuff, was in a bar last week and the guy was using it, looked pretty cool cos ive never seen it in real life so to speak..!!

AudioGuru

Established Member
ah it always helps to have people still workin on the scene, i gave up my DJ'n last October after it started to get to busy and wanted to be on the other side of the decks more...... i do sometimes miss it but think i was ready to knock it on the head (i am 31 after all!!)... :rolleyes:

Have you even seen the final scratch stuff, was in a bar last week and the guy was using it, looked pretty cool cos ive never seen it in real life so to speak..!!

Hey, I'm 31 next month and I'm not letting it stop me dude;)
'Final scratch stuff'? I may have seen it , if it's what I think it is....
Normal decks hooked up through an interface to play mp3 files etc..?
If so, I am thinking about looking into it as I do have a ton of newer material that I'ld like to play in mp3 form.
I do have pcdj which is a cool app but just doesn't 'feel' right when Im actually in a mix ya know?;)

mooperman

Distinguished Member
ha ha, like i said, it wasnt entirely the age, i'd just had enough and it started to feel like a normal job as opposed to doing something i love if you know what i mean...

yeah thats the final scratch stuff.... i do like to get my hands on vinyl though!!

AudioGuru

Established Member
ha ha, like i said, it wasnt entirely the age, i'd just had enough and it started to feel like a normal job as opposed to doing something i love if you know what i mean...

yeah thats the final scratch stuff.... i do like to get my hands on vinyl though!!

Thought so! Im just looking at a set of Stanton T60's and they look pretty nice actually!
My birthdays next month and I think I may just beable to afford them. Watch this space....

table manners

Established Member
fellow djs! dont you think its time we had a dj forum on here.
mrmobeus don't worry about none cinema pics being on here ive put mine up in my thread.like you said where else can we put them.
nice setup by the way.

THE_FORCE

Banned
nice one Mobeus - only a tad jealous mate;) Brings back memories of transforming on an old Gemini (with the fader and not a transformer button:nono::D), and seeing who could do the fastest spinbacks out of the crew lol.

It'd be great if there was a DJ/Music Production part of the forum, as I've just started to get back into making dance tunes again after many years away from it and could do with some software hints and tips. Got an Edirol controller with Cakewalk just to test the water, but would love to eventually get a rackfull of kit - I just ain't got the room for it all !!

Keep it up mate.:thumbsup:

AudioGuru

Established Member
Sorry I've not updated in some time guys!
Been really busy with getting back on track with my dj'ing aswell as juggling my other 5 jobs lol!
Thanks for the positive feedback THE_FORCE & Table Manners;)
Well since i last updated Ive got a new set of decks and mixer, Now in the end I bought used which Isn't perfect but, I have a plan that's comint together nicely.
I ended up buying a pair of Limit DJ2000SQ's, Vestax pcV-175 & Stanton TrackmasterII's all for £280, Can't grumble eh?
Well the Limits were kind of offputting in all honesty however The mixer could probably have sold for nearly that much on its own new, And quite frankly it knocks that old prosound pos out of the water, It's one awesome mixer!
The groovy thing is Im now in a position to get M-AUDIO's Conectiv & Torq'V' DVS in the next few weeks.
And hopefully in about a few months I'll be getting a pair of used 1210MK2,3 or 5's. It gets better....
I have a good friend in the states who does custom painting ( some of the best I've seen! ) So I'm hoping he'll hook the 1210's up with a really sweet custom paint job;) along with some smoothing over and led mods both in the standard lamps and beneath the platter. There are more ideas but more on them at a later date!
I'll probably replace the tonearms at some point aswell with either some Rega's or some Pro-Jects ( straight ) Just to nudge the soundstage up a notch!
I won't go into it too much yet but I've been in talks with a very well known dj and at the moment Im preparing a promo for her to listen to. I couldn't believe she actually wrote back to me:eek:
Also, I may be in possession soon of the Edirol PCR-M30 midi control keyboard.
Anyways, here's some eye candy of the new mixer/decks and carts....

n578752188_901986_9617.jpg

n578752188_901987_314.jpg

n578752188_901984_8220.jpg

n529484464_842068_7437.jpg

n529484464_842070_9515.jpg

Note the decks aren't setup yet...
The friend Im buying them from went to R2TS for the whole weekend with my brother and sister so Im having to wait till tommorrow/tuesday to recieve them:rolleyes:

Anyway, that's all for now folks!
More to come in the next few days...

Ross82

Established Member
Hello fellow Dj's!

yea its nice to see pics pf turntables on here.

Didn't realise there were a few music producers on here aswell.

Apart from being well into my home cinema, i too had a studio setup.

All my equiptment is packes away at the moment as the plasterer is in next week to do my room. Once dry and decorated i will also post up some pics.

I'm using the legendary 1210's and wouldn't swap them for anything (apart form maybe a bit more pitch)

Vestax pmc-25 mixer, orforton concord scratch carts/stylus, and again i wouldnt have anything else.

I have also recently had a new pc built for the music production side of things. At the moment i use Reason, Acid Pro, Soundforge and a copy of Kramixer which i find superb for those mp3's!

oh yea, and MRMOBEUS - is that a copy of the Superman tune by Vinyl Syndicate i spot in one of your pics? :D

AudioGuru

Established Member
Hello fellow Dj's!

yea its nice to see pics pf turntables on here.

Didn't realise there were a few music producers on here aswell.

Apart from being well into my home cinema, i too had a studio setup.

All my equiptment is packes away at the moment as the plasterer is in next week to do my room. Once dry and decorated i will also post up some pics.

I'm using the legendary 1210's and wouldn't swap them for anything (apart form maybe a bit more pitch)

Vestax pmc-25 mixer, orforton concord scratch carts/stylus, and again i wouldnt have anything else.

I have also recently had a new pc built for the music production side of things. At the moment i use Reason, Acid Pro, Soundforge and a copy of Kramixer which i find superb for those mp3's!

oh yea, and MRMOBEUS - is that a copy of the Superman tune by Vinyl Syndicate i spot in one of your pics? :D

Haha it is indeed Ross;) good spotting!

isayisay

Established Member
Those where the days going into your local record shop and sifting through rack upon rack of vinyl,checking out the import racks for the latest overseas releases etc. when you purchased an LP or 12" you felt like you had something,if you can understand that?Getting it home putting it on the turntable,cranking up the volume and listening to those crackles just before the track kicked in,good old days.:thumbsup:

AudioGuru

Established Member
Big update.......
3 days ago...
DSCF2925.jpg

Last night...
DSCF2926.jpg

This afternoon...
DSCF2934.jpg

DSCF2935.jpg

DSCF2938.jpg

DSCF2941.jpg

Sunday night I got to play my first short set in a club in 12 years...
S1050596.jpg

Was only a sports/fun club/bar that my mates play in but they let me have a go and it went down pretty well actually! They usually play chart music in there with no kind of mixing at all,
Well, I luckely found some Funky house cd's in their backlog.
I hated using the denon cdj's but I still managed some tight blends!
And just look at the state of those 1210's!!!The right hand side tonearm is snapped in half, Yes, SNAPPED IN HALF!! and the on/off switches are missing ( there's more damage than that but I could go on a bit... ). They've been like that for 6 months now with the manager saying - " No point in having them repaired as everythings digital now! plus cd's are better. " Yeh ok then, So I asked him very nicely if he would consider selling them to an owner who would take great care of them and bring them back to their former glory...
" Sorry pal but they're not for sale, They will be thrown out probably! " and his eyes said " That 's that!!"
GRRRR that makes me soooo Mad!!
Anyways, there ya go!;)

AudioGuru

Established Member
Huge update.....

Ive been busy spending loads of money I don't have lmao...

n529484464_1459204_2990.jpg

n529484464_1453715_9255.jpg

n529484464_1453717_1278.jpg

n529484464_1459208_7012.jpg

Still got more Technics seperates coming, There's a new minidisc recorder.- Technics again! and a Teac V1050 in the corner.
Got the Celestians up on Target Brackets now aswell.

And what has become of the Purple decks ( the first set - belt driven. ) ? My son has them.

And the 2nd pair... Limit direct drives??

AudioGuru

Established Member

n529484464_1263643_4963.jpg

Oh no!!! I hear you say...

n529484464_1263641_2484.jpg

To this....

n529484464_1264103_3282.jpg

n529484464_1264102_2410.jpg

n529484464_1266563_554.jpg

n529484464_1267138_1929.jpg

n529484464_1267139_2976.jpg

n529484464_1267140_4073.jpg

n529484464_1266565_1439.jpg

Loads of sanding, prepping, priming, respraying, clearcoating, Wet sanding, polishing, more wetsanding and more polishing and buffing.

Yup That tonearm is hand wetsanded and hand polished, took 5 hours to get it to that and its still not done.

So yeh I been really busy! and thats just the first limit lol.

What will I be doing with them? Spare decks stored in flightcases, maybe as a scratching setup with my techs being a regular mixing setup.

Still needs a nother coat or two on the faceplate mind...

n529484464_1267136_9790.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KMoff

Established Member
Niiice. I so wanted my own little studio, but space was always an issue, and then I kind of fell out of love with DJ'ing so it was never to be I guess. Seeing your kit makes me nostalgic. *sigh*

I sold my old Technics on eBay not so long ago for £150, I could have sold them to you!

I still haven't got rid of my D'n'B records yet. I emailed Hard To Find Records with a list but they expect me to search their catalogue one record at a time to find out which ones they want... Sod that!

Loving the paint jobs. I should have done that to my Technics. Boy they looked beat up. They still worked perfectly though, even after 11yrs. Built like tanks those things!

Keep it up!

-Kev

AudioGuru

Established Member
Hey Kev, If ya can, Reckon you could pm me with a list of your dnb vinyl and maybe some rough prices??

I may be interested at some point;)

P.s. What era of dnb?

Mark Pile

Established Member
not really into dj, but the mixes are awesome whats the chance you can upload them somewhere for me to rip to my ipod?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom