1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally, HD-45 Review

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dazjmarshall, Mar 17, 2005.

1. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks,

Thought I would put this out on a seperate thread as there seems to have been an almost polarisation of opinion in this set over the last 6 weeks or so. ;)

Home Cinema Choice has finally reviewed the set and ..... it got a thumbs up and an HCC 'Best Buy' :thumbsup:

The general impression was [ .. Unquestionably, the HD-D45's finest asset is it's picture quality. The biggest improvement over the Axium 50 comes in the area of noise during ordinary Tuner and RGB feeds ... it's handling of broadcast pictures, especially via an RGB Scart-connected Sky digital receiver, actually suffersless with noise than many a high-end CRT TV.]

The reviewer did mention that the set needed careful setup (a point I certainly agree with and messed around with my settings for ages :thumbsdow )

Recomendation is: Contrast 42, Brightness 40, Colour to around 45, sharpness 0 and set Eco mode on. One setting I would add to this is on the Sources, turn off the Noise Reduction (ie it's 0).

If this is a pukka review, then this guy is clearly having a very different experience to many of you who have posted here ... :confused:

For myself, I am not having the picture issues either and demo'ed both the Axium 50 and HD45 as well as Plasmas.

I would be interested in seeing what settings others have had ...

Interestingly, the reviewer pointed out that in looking at DVD playback through the DVI connection, he noticed 'exaggerated amounts of blocking and mosquito noise' and contacted Sagem about it but when he viewed HD material on a PC using same connection, there was an improvement.

Hmmm ... there is certainly a mixed bag out there .... ;)

Cheers,
    Daz

PS Oh, yeah ... this one for zAndy1 ... Nope, he didn't mention the frosty screen .. :D

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Best Buy eh..... mmmmmm

3. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah .. now normally, I wouldn't care that much, but HCC is one of the few mags I read and take opinions from ...

What settings do you have?

Cheers,
    Daz

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Well running on eco mode, sharpness 0 or less, tried various contrast/brightness settings, NR off... still looks bloody awful most of the time!

Andy.

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daz i have had a good rant about the abysmal quality of reviews in the mags see
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197086

The very worst thing about the Sagem HD45 is how it presents faces & skin tones
    can you honestly tell me that they are as good as what you can see on any old fashioned Cathode Ray Tube set

By the way i had a guess on what the review would say earlier today was i close?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zAndy1
    'This months Home Cinema Choice mag has a review of the Sagem 45'

So I assume it mentions the frostiness of the screen and the blurring and solarisation then?

Andy

I would be surprised if it didn't get 5 stars

" the only very minor drawback to this magnificent set is a slightly frosty screen that i find very attractive & does not distract from the immense viewing pleasure that this set provides in such abundance."