Finally had to replace the capacitors!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by aerofly2, Jan 31, 2009.

1. aerofly2

aerofly2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well it finally happened after my original HD box lasted two and a half years, it succumbed to the "crappy" capacitor syndrome.:mad:
    Just spent the last two hours sweating over a hot soldering iron and changed them all, using the excellent Satcure kit.

Half way through I was beginning to wish I'd got a replacement PSU as I realised my eyesight is nowhere near as good as it used to be. If like me , you're "getting on" in years, and your eyesight is 'shot' like mine, I really would think twice about doing it yourself.

However what a relief when the power went back on and she burst into life.

Good as new :clap:

Steve

2. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,738
    Nice one.

You've helped me make my mind up and will get the replacement PSU instead of the kit if I decide to keep Sky.

What sort of problems was you having with your box to make you change the capacitors?

3. aerofly2

aerofly2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was starting to get picture blocking more and more often, until finally a few days ago it was almost unwatchable.
    The capacitors were definitely the cause, as some had puffed up and one was leaking slightly.
    I'd bought the kit a couple of months ago 'cos I knew the time would come eventually, just couldn't pluck up the courage to do it sooner. :D

4. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,738
    Thanks. I've started getting occasional blocking and the main problem is the box keeps going into standby (only seems to do it when I'm recording something that isn't repeated :()

I need to keep the box I have as I need the component connections. When I feel brave I'll open up the box and check the capacitors.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009