1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally got to give in to the Mrs and kid!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Calpolaholic, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Calpolaholic

Calpolaholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    It is with great regret that I must finally surrender my hifi passion for better ergonomics and aesthetics. A combination of fatherhood and house redevelopment mean that my current system is no longer a practical option so I am looking for an alternative system. Room is 4.5m * 5.5m and a kitchen diner so quite a large void to fill. I can only really afford to spend what I get for the current bits below (maybe stretch to a couple hundred more). My best guess is that I might have a budget of £1000.

Any advice greatly recieved

Current

Cyrus 7 Amp
    Cyrus PSX-r
    Arcam Alpha 8SE CD
    Denon Tuner
    QED silver spiral interconnects
    Chord Legen biwire cables
    Rega Jura Floorstanders
    Cheers

Skysdad

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    What sort of thing did you have in mind?.....you've got a nice set of separates there,and it will be difficult for you to put together something compact and offering even close to the same quality.
    If you have an idea of what you want,it will help the rest of us give a few suggestions to work with...i.e.a compact/Midi sized system,or a receiver based system etc.

3. Calpolaholic

Calpolaholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Sacraficing some sound quality is probably inevitable but to be fair the amount of time I get to really enjoy a good old blast is limited so doesnt warrant being a true audiophile anymore. I guess ideally I would like a Linn Classik with some AVI Nuneutrons! Budget might not get there though!!! Definitely need bookshelf speakers and one box would be good.

PS

Could consider a sub sat system providing the sats were quite small

4. lucem

lucem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't quite get this, Neutrons with stands will take up the same floorspace as your Juras and you already have one of the smallest amps it's possible to buy... and you've already said the listening room is comparatively large.

I thought having a wife and child was supposed to enrich your life, not make it worse :rolleyes:

5. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Is it just that the wife finds it a pain in the arse to use?

If your current set up uses a remote control, then just go and buy a
    HARMONY 655 remote control

The wife will love it!
    Instead of the usual multi-device remotes, you just set it up on-line,
    and its all activity based. So instead of selecting amp and then 'on', and then dvd and 'on' and then 'play', and then tv and 'on'. You just press the button that says 'play movie' and it sends all the commands at once to switch on
    your tv, your amp, your dvd and 'play'.

It might just save your kit!
    I hope so! You've got a great set-up!
    Merry Xmas!

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ignoring less helpful posts,if you really are set on replacing your current system with a compact system,then I can see the attraction of something like the Linn Classik,which can be had used for around £800 currently,so it may not be beyond your reach after all.

As for the speakers,you will almost certainly find that a sub/sat system will sound a bit lacking by comparison with a floorstanding system,although the bass may be comparable/better given a decent sub.
    You will find that many bookshelf sized speakers will sound lighter in the bass regions than you are used to,unless tradeoffs are made in terms of efficiency and load(as with things like the B&W 805s and Acoustic Energy AE1...these are chosen simply as examples of that,not on a basis of cost and affordability within your budget).

The AVI Neutron can also be had used for about £400,which brings the total for the items you liked down to around £1200 if you are prepared to look at ex-dem/used gear.....this isnt something you should ignore,as most decent quality gear will have been well looked after,and will offer you a way of getting something substantially better in quality,for less outlay.

Hope thats of some help,and having been through a lot of this with my own kids(luckily not having to change the hifi though...just keeping little fingers out of the valves and the Krells)I can understand a lot of what you're saying.
    My wife is pretty tolerant of all the stuff collecting around the house,but it can be a problem.

7. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Linn Classik for the same reasons you are looking to change - my wife (or girlfriend as she was then) hated all the ugly black boxes I had at the time. Luckily, Graham's Hi-Fi in Islington pointed me in the direction of the Linn Classik and I think it's great.

My only disappointment is the speakers I picked to go with them, Blueroom Minipods - the wife's influence as they were picked for style as much as sound. I think they're good speakers but not good enough to do the Classik justice and they're certainly the weak point. I want to get some new ones - Sevenoaks did suggest some speakers to me - I think they said the AVI Neutron IVs but I'm not certain as I tried to blot it from my mind for fear of ending up £650 into the wife's bad books.

Having said that, the Minipods could start me off down the home cinema route ... :)

By the way, you can get a brand new Classik for £799. Sevenoaks have them in at the moment at that price.

8. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

3 Linn Classiks for sale on ebay. Starting price £500. Now you could do it!
    One of them includes speakers!!

CH

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    This thread is making me cringe............cant you just sell the wife and use the small child for chimney cleaning duties ?

Oh how lucky am I.............repeats many times ad infinitum

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My wife made me buy a new hifi rack - I now have a over £200 Soundstyle she said the falling apart one had too expensive stuff on.

She also decided on which veneer for the fronts - she prefered the light veneer!

Luckily she appreciates good equipment

11. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd be really tempted to keep the cyrus 7, add a cyrus CD player and buy some smaller speakers. The major question (although it seems the answer has already been decided), is: is selling your kit and downsizing it really going to be worthwhile? You're not spending any money by keeping the stuff, and by buying new kit, you're quite possibly going to spend more than you bargained for. The threat of fingers to speaker cones is always present, but I can't see the point of getting rid of your beloved system. Surely your wife listend to music too?! Also, it's hardly a fully fledged pre/power multichannel beast. Is it really taking up that much space? Are you planning to mount your speakers on stands (children crashing into them and knocking the speaker off the top would not be nice at all), as they'll probably take up the same amount of space as your floorstanders. Have you discussed rearranging the kit?

12. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with Keep the Cyrus seven amp, and get other cyrus kit.

That is small, smart, what more could anyone want.

If you want a tuner there is a cyrus sized DAB Tuner not sure about FM/AM that retails around £150. Cannot remember the brand but they are in my local hi-fi shop i'll try and remember to look at the weekend.

Steff