Finally got my VP12-S3 installed!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul D, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Hi
    After selling my Barco CRT a couple of weeks ago, i have finally been able to install my beloved Marantz VP12-S3 projector.

[​IMG]

I actually bought the S3 last November(2003), and have had to use it on the table. It's a relief it now on the ceiling out of the way :cool:

The cinema room use has vastly increased since the S3 arrived, and i expect to use the room even more now.

I can finally start playing some of the racing games i bought for my HTPC!
    I have managed to create some space at the back of the fridge table for some racing peddles which go with the Force feedback steering wheel.
    With the PJ on the table, it was impossible to bolt the wheel behind it etc.

I have also managed to get my website up and running, and although very basic at the moment has some new photos of my "updated" room.
    www.pauldowning.co.uk

So with all my DVI/HTPC/S3 problems behind me, i'm just going to keep my fingers crossed, and hope that it all stays as glitch free as it is at the moment!!! :smashin:

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Beautiful setup :smashin:

Was it all DIY or did u get in builders?

Conor

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    That room looks stunning mate :eek:

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Hi Comer
    It's a full DIY effort.(apart from plastering!)
    The room was installed nearly four years a go, between work shifts etc.
    I have been upgrading it over the last six months.

Upgrades include:-
    Pioneer 868i DVD (HDMI/i-Link)
    PioneerAX5i(i-Link)
    Marantz VP12-S3
    Updated HTPC

I still have to update the speakers and screen, and build a new AV cabinet.(I now i only use 16.9 ratio, so can fit a taller AV unit etc)

I also need to update my digital camera!
    It's a budget 2mp, so all the rooms dark colours/lighting look cartoony instead of clear and saturated etc.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Paul,

Looks very cool..... did you get the issue with the Marantz resolved ?

How do you handle 2.35:1 material ?

Sean G.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely looking room/setup Paul :smashin:

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Hi Sean
    I meant i use a 16.9 screen!
    With the Barco CRT, i ran both 4.3 and 16.9 using a blanking panel.

Marantz sent me a brand new VP12-S3 in the end.
    And the best bit is the new unit not only sorted the issues with my faulty unit, but also fixed other faults i didn't even know where faults.
    One fix being the DVI connection to my NVidia HTPC.
    On the old unit, i couldn't see the BIOS boot screens. With the new unit they are all there etc.
    Also saturation via DVI is higher on the new unit, allowing me return my 868i to the default level.

It's not often people on this forum are totally happy with all their gear, so i feel fortunate (at least for the time being) to be in this position! :thumbsup:

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,011
    That's a fantastice room I must say. I think anybody would be well chuffed if they were lucky to have a dedicated room to that standard. :)

Gary.

9. kogvos

kogvos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

Agree with all the other posters in that you have a fabulous looking room.

What model of Barco did you have and how does the Marantz compare with it?

I have a 1208/2 with a quadrupler and HDTV STD and it produces some really great pictures but needs a lot of tweaking for top performance so as we are going to be building a new house soon wonder if I will be happy with a really good DLP or get another CRT.

Regards,

Jamie

10. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Jamie, sorry for the late reply!

I had a Barco 808s, and the S3 equals it for some things, betters it for somethings, but doesn't go "totally" black.

I assume by now that you will have already upgraded your projector. Which way did you end up going?

On the subject of changing from CRT to Digital...
    EdgyBoy came round today for a demo of the S3.
    He himself has had CRT, and his father currently owns a G70 CRT.

From what i managed to gather, he has not had a great time finding a suitable replacement for the CRT.
    Like myself he has had a few LCDs, but has not found happiness yet.

He wanted to view a good DLP, but had concerns about rainbows and other digital related artifacts.
    I will PM him and ask if he would like to give his thoughts on the S3.

As i always try to be, i will ask him to be honest in his findings.
    There would be no point him saying nice things just to be polite to me etc.

I didn't waste time putting on "reference" DLP friendly DVDs first.
    Nope! Pitch Black was the first film up :eek:
    If you want to see rainbows, and a projectors black response (including subtle shadow detail). This disc will show you most failings in the first ten minutes!
    The crash landing from the start of the film, has so much movement that any processing failings would be easy to spot.

We did move on to the classic Superbit R1 of The Fifth Element. It's almost as if the "Reconstruction" scene was made for demoing!
    I did enjoy pointing out the bits where the Police "Body Lights" are actually just painted on in some scenes.(never noticed myself before seeing via HDMI/DVI)
    Infact the picture is just so clear, we went on to spotting dandruff on peoples collars!

And YES before anybody mentions it, i did show him Toy Story 2!
    No digital projector demo would be complete without showing him Woodys "spit and polish job" by the toy restorer scene.

We finished off with some SKY digital viewing (RGB converted Component).

It has been a while since i had anybody round for a demo, and admit it was nice having another HC fan to talk too!

11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,011
    Hi Paul,

Good to hear you've got everything as you like it, and (belated) congrats on the new baby. :)

Why do the CRT owners seem to hate digital owners enjoying their projectors so much over on avs? :)

Gary.

12. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Very kindly, Paul invited me to his home yesterday. I had gone really to look at the S3. I currently have an HS50 and am looking for my next upgrade.
    I have always loved the pictures produced by DLP but was wary of rainbows to be honest. I was keen to see a well set up flagship DLP product after a lot of poor demos in shops.

First up was Pitch Black: As Paul says, if you're going to see rainbows, it's going to be on this film. The opening sequences looked fabulous, very absorbing: Lots of detail, great rendition of textures, nice saturated colours where necessary. Black level good.

Next was Fifth Element - Superbit. A classic disc in so many ways. I am very familiar with this film - my father and I have watched it extensively on various projectors, including his G70. The reconstruction scene again looked fabulous, but what struck me was how cheap the set looked! The S3 really was a window onto the film: The dandruff on the Major's collar, the PVC suits. Never noticed the fingerprints on the side of the glass case before as she tries to escape. Ever realized the glass was pre-cracked when she punches through?!

Lastly, Two Story 2: A classic. The lengths Pixar went to still amaze me. When Woody is being cleaned by the old man, you can see the windows refelected on him. Never realized that the 3 panes are graduated in colour before ! Never realized that Buzz got dirtier throughout the film either.

I forgot about the rainbows within 10 minutes. Yes, I did see them occassionally (Fifth Element tittles) but I learned to ignore them. This is a very well thought out projector which is very good in most areas. The overall image is superb and a real window into the film. Black level perfectly acceptable to me. It can handle HDTV so is ready for next year, no problem. It's quiet too.

We watched a bit of SKY too which looked good - very watchable. I must mention that the sound was excellent too. Very involving.

Paul and I are both ex CRT owners. He IS very happy with the S3 and I certainly would be.In fact, as an overall projector for very day use, I would prefer it to a CRT. Paul agrees.

I want to have a look at the H78 / Domino 30 before I buy, but the S3 or maybe even S4 is on the shopping list.

Thanks again Paul. :)

13. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Your welcome mate!

During our demo, we discussed various projectors.
    I mentioned to Tom that if i had to buy new right now, i would have to consider the H78 myself.
    I know the H77 had problems, but if they are now addressed in the H78. Then it would be a hard choice justifying the extra needed for the Marantz S3.

But if the S3 is anything to go by, then the S4 should be in another league again.
    The S3 does everything all the other HD2+ machines manages to do. What sets it apart seems to be the subtle things.
    Handling of shadow detail, and gentle handling of white detail etc.
    Every ounce of detail in these areas seems to be on show, yet no banding or postering is introduced.

Although quiet, the newer machines are almost silent. So this would be a factor for many.
    The new DC3 chips seem to advance the game again, but for me, some sort of dynamic contrast enhancer like the "Eclipse" and 1920x1080 is now needed before i would feel an upgrade coming on!

Gary, thanks mate. He is coming on well!
    (and yes i am having fun with the guys over at AVS! :devil: )

14. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Exactly Paul - it's the subtle benefits that the S3 brings.

15. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Hi Tom, i have the information you requested.

My Screen is 7' "wide", or 92" Diagonal, 16.9 ratio etc.

The room is approx 11' wide and 18' long.

Your "eyeballs" were 10' from the screen.
    This makes the "eyeball" viewing distance during your demo a ratio of 1.42 etc.
    I start detecting screendoor at 8' meaning the minumum viewing ratio for me would be 1.14 etc.

:smashin:

16. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Thanks Paul. At 20 inches long it's a bit small mate !!

17. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'll be able to give you my views on how the S4 compares with the S3 soon as I have just ordered mine yesturday and it should arrive later this month with my S3 being collected on Saturday leaving my PJ'less for a while.

Cheers, Lee

18. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Never had any complaints! :D (now corrected to feet!)

Lee, did the place you are buying from do a trade in?
    Not swapping the S3 just yet, but i am curious!

19. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No I sold the S3 privately…I did enquire about upgrading from the original supplier of the S3 but they did not sound that keen nor did they offer a good price…bit like part’xing a car really you get more if you sell outright and can then get a better deal on the new model.

I’m told I’ve secured one of the five units coming into the UK this month but am not yet sure when exactly I will get it but my S3 is going tomorrow.

Cheers, Lee