1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally got my SVS 20-39PC+

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stevefish69, Aug 19, 2005.

1. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    A Big :thumbsup: to Mark for spending some time yesterday giving me some demo's. I'm sure that the Sub didn't look that BIG in your room. Thats what i told the missus anyway :rolleyes:

After trying my 2 preferred positions which played havoc with my PD30, i've got it in position 3 by moving the room around a bit.

I've had no time to set it up properly but 1st impressions are awsome.

The Waves of deep, pounding crystal clear bass out of scenes that previously sounded quiet. Looks like my whole DVD collection will get a replay very soon. I never knew that my walls, Floor, and other general bits of the house were capable of moving so much.

Thanks people for the advice people, and NO i don't think i'll ever need to Upgrade.

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    Steve

If you have Flght of the Phoenix put that on you will not belive how much bass that movie has, it really will blow you away literally.If you don't have it get it tommorow its THE best bass demo disc avalable at the mo.

I can promise you if you listen at anything near reference level with your SVS you will quite probably Shat yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

3. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I have "Flight of the Pheonix" but have kindly been asked to break the missus in gently as the sub now resides next to where she sits and natters to her mates on the PC.

Just set her up with meter and now at 10 o'clock on sub and -5db on Amp. Hopefully not be as mad as the kids Incredibles demo this afternoon :eek:

Think it'll be "Snatch" tonight as one of my fave's but will be at around -15. I live in a Semi so have to pick loud films when neigbours are out.

Thanks for the tip off bout Sub, and i'll can't wait to re watch all my DVD's again.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,124
    I know the perfect xmas gifts for your wife.

1. A pair of noise cancelling headphones.

2.One of those oversize sumo wrestling suits so she can't feel the pumbling of the subsonic waves as they hit her.

And while she's on the computer talking to her mates she will be oblivious of whats going on around her.

And for you, well you will be there smoking your hamlet cigar and a feeling of nirvanna will be washing all over you as you listen at ref level to all those movies you have to watch again and again. :rotfl:

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I second the use of Flight of the Pheonix. It has some of the deepest most powerful bass in it I have ever heard in a movie soundtrack. Not for the faint hearted!:devil:

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Ooh er missus! This placing is an automatic nomination for Darwin Award status. :suicide:

In your dreams matey! She'll be burying you in that cylinder! Head down! :eek:

Nimby ;)

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Famous last words, never say never :devil:

8. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I've had a go with the test tones on my new SVS today. The Sub 25Hz tones were great fun.

Seems like the position of the sub is giving a few highs and lows. Not a lot i can do about it at the moment, as its the only position it'll fit without killing the TV.

Anyone got any idea's without having to buy a BFD. I've attached two charts. One through amp with crossover to 80Hz on amp and bypassed on Sub with fronts connected. Second one from PC to Sub only with crossover off on Sub. Both at different levels so ignore base db level.

Are the charts really that bad or is this the sort of norm that people get.

Steve

Attached Files:

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve - the response looks pretty good as it is, you don't have any serious suck outs of bass which can be very difficult to get rid of and is mainly due to positioning, so i would not worry too much but if you did invest in a BFD you would be able to smooth the response out quite a bit more.

Most importantly does it sound good from the listening position?, and if it does don't worry too much.

10. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Sounds great from listening position, but can still "Sense" that the bass isn't coming from front soundstage. Sub is currently just over halfway along a side wall but still oposite listening position.

Did just have a furniture moving session and moved as near to tv along same wall without fecking picture. Re-done test but this time was getting the same low at 63Hz but the highs were clipping up to 108db at 20-22Hz.

Moved back to position 1 and may have a bit of a play with Phase to intergrate with fronts better.