FINALLY got my Panasonic DP10

pixelated

Hi all

Just thought I'd let you know that after ages of waiting my Blu-Ray player finally turned up today. First impressions are it's a lovely looking player, feels oddly light yet very chic.

As for the picture, currently spinning Tears of the Sun and it looks very, very impressive indeed. I saw a demo of HD-DVD a week or so and THIS PARTICULAR disc looked every bit as good as the HD-DVD demo I saw last week.

Thought you might like to hear a postive review of BD for a change. :)

I'm very happy with mine anyway so far. Naturally if it explodes tomorrow I'll be livid.

Thanks
Stuart

P

Packetfront

Great that you have it now.

I read that the Panny got the best SD-DVD upvconversion as well of all BD players.

pixelated

I have a Denon 3910 so I don't think I'll be replacing that for SD DVD anytime soon... unless the Panasonic is really, REALLY good ;) Even then though the Denon is top for CDs as much as anything.

I'll post more of my thought soon as it's already been said that TotS is a good disc... will let ya know when I've watched a couple more. :)

P

Packetfront

Yes some pics would be nice, it says more than anything.....

av addict

just missed out on a panasonic dp10 off ebay uk -went for
£511 wow---should have put a bit more into the bid really missed out on a bit of bargin there:suicide: had some blu-ray dvds with it as well including the mission impossible
box set-----sick now wish i was't such a tight arse:mad:

andythescientis

just missed out on a panasonic dp10 off ebay uk -went for
£511 wow---should have put a bit more into the bid really missed out on a bit of bargin there:suicide: had some blu-ray dvds with it as well including the mission impossible
box set-----sick now wish i was't such a tight arse:mad:
Buy the Kasabian tickets i've got for sale that'll cheer you up :p

P

Packetfront

Yeah some pics would be nice.

HCC did some great review of the Panasonic.

HeweyBoy101

Hi all

Just thought I'd let you know that after ages of waiting my Blu-Ray player finally turned up today. First impressions are it's a lovely looking player, feels oddly light yet very chic.

As for the picture, currently spinning Tears of the Sun and it looks very, very impressive indeed. I saw a demo of HD-DVD a week or so and THIS PARTICULAR disc looked every bit as good as the HD-DVD demo I saw last week.

Thought you might like to hear a postive review of BD for a change. :)

I'm very happy with mine anyway so far. Naturally if it explodes tomorrow I'll be livid.

Thanks
Stuart
I have my eye on the Panasonic as well. Looks like the best player available at present.

Out of interest, which region did you go for (and why)?

I am looking at the US model myself, as I want access to US new releases. Furthermore, it's several hundred pounds cheaper (Online), albeit with less warranty. Firmware upgrades worry me though - I upgraded my HD-DVD player and that was nerve-racking !

If I go with a US region Panasonic, how will I be able to upgrade the firmware to get the advanced audio codecs? I understand that Panasonic have scheduled a firmware upgrade for the New Year. However, will they let non US owners register for the upgrade? Will they even supply upgrade discs to non US owners? Will the firmware upgrade be available as a download online (to burn to CD-R as with the Toshiba)?

These are all questions that I want answered before I buy. Probably just have to wait - problem is the money is burning a hole in my wallet !!!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
However, will they let non US owners register for the upgrade? Will they even supply upgrade discs to non US owners? Will the firmware upgrade be available as a download online (to burn to CD-R as with the Toshiba)?
This is the $1million question. Traditionally Panasonic mails update discs rather than uploads them (based on their DVD recorder range). However everyone thought the same would be true for the Samsung - but that was uploaded to the website. It's wait and see...

P

Packetfront

You can download the firmware directly from Panasonics website and burn to a CD.

It has clearly written instructions how to do that so no worries....

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
You can download the firmware directly from Panasonics website and burn to a CD.

Just in case though you went for the Sony? ;) Just out of interest where are these 'clearly written instructrions'? I clearly missed them during my short ownership of the Panny. All I got was a inserted dit saying upgrades would be made available.

P

Packetfront

Just in case though you went for the Sony? ;) Just out of interest where are these 'clearly written instructrions'? I clearly missed them during my short ownership of the Panny. All I got was a inserted dit saying upgrades would be made available.
Ok, i will get the URL for you i found in a thread.

HeweyBoy101

Thanks.

But ..... will you be able to access the website to download the upgrade if you are outside the US? I'm not a techie, but I'm sure that the server which hosts the file will know if you have an IP address which is overseas?

I suppose we can rely on others hosting the file for us to download.

It is just that £800 odd on an imported player is a fair amount of cash. I can live with the limited warranty, but I do want to be absolutely sure that I can upgrade before I buy.

Think I will just stick with HD-DVD for now until the dust settles on all of this.

P

Packetfront

Excellent :thumbsup: Well if one has been posted hopefully the rest will as well.
Now i need Sony to post their updates also online, otherwise i will have to get a US address they can send the CD to.

HeweyBoy101

Thanks for the link. That has at least put my mind at rest. I have just done a trial download and was able to obtain the US firmware file easily, to be burned to CD-R.

I still hate the prospect of doing the fimware upgrade on an expensive imported player, so again I might just wait until one or two other brave souls have tried this first and posted results on these forums!

I suspect I will have that shiny new BD player before long though.

HeweyBoy101

I used that firmware on my UK player (there was a leaflet in the box pointing to the same URL for download)
There is a dropdown box on the firmware page - you have to select North America or Europe / UK or Oceania. So presumably the firmware versions are different.

paulntia

Just been told my Panny DmPbd10 will be here on the 20th dec :thumbsup:

I'm not a techie, but I'm sure that the server which hosts the file will know if you have an IP address which is overseas?

Lol, I believe all UK ISP's using dynamic IP's anyway. IP is changing all the time, so today you have UK based IP, but tomorrow it could be USA based and after tomorrow France based and so on :D.