1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally got my home cinema room up and running :)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by micks_address, Mar 12, 2003.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Hi folks,

We moved into our new house towards the end of November last year and its taken me until now to get my home cinema room up and running. I had all the kit i wanted:

a Sony HS1 projector
    ns900 dvd player
    htk475 sound system

i've got the projector connected to the dvd player using the sony proprietry component cable and i have the projector sitting on a coffee table. I don't use the sideshot feature.

I don't have a dedicated screen but i've painted the end wall of the room that i'm projecting onto a golden cream colour.

The results are absolutely stunning (to me). I know there are newer projectors out there and progresive scan would improve things and possibly a pro screen but at the moment i wont be upgrading for a long time.

I've mounted the centre speaker just under the projected picture on a tiny self on the wall and used shelves to mount the front right and left speakers. The rears then rest on the window sill at the back of the room.

The front of the room is almost completely a window but its covered with a blind and full length heavy curtains.

All and all its a very tidy setup. The results are to me at least good picture and sound. The house is semi detached and the home cinema room is in a converted garage which has a solid dividing wall between the house - just as well or the neighbours might be complaining....

Anyway - there's not much point to my post just to say that i'm a very happy man with my setup - i can't imagine going back to my 28" widescreen for films any more.....

Cheers,
    Mick

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey Mick,

Way to go ! :clap: Good post - good news, no complaints !!!

My movie room is where a garage might otherwise be (never had a garage, extended house into the space) but I've gone for dark blue matt paint on the walls, and a home made screen - the room is not used for any other purpose - its a brill setup 'cause movie viewing doesn't disrupt the rest of the house (except when you crank up the sound !)

Good luck,

Sean G.

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Nice one Mick

Join the club of cannot watch DVD's on the television anymore

4. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this your very own mini me clone? ;)
    Seriously, its good to hear you're all set up. I'm still in the planning stage right now and can't wait to get my setup all installed.
    Be great to see any pics if you can manage, especially with your screen/front speaker setup. I'm still trying to decide on my front speaker placement in a smallish room.

Good viewing,
    Richard

5. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am just about to buy a new house with a double length garage on the side that I want to convert.

What was the cost of the garage conversion?

Ben

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Hi Ben - the garage was already converted so no cost there - i just had to paint it and put up curtains to help control the light. The curtains we had from another room where we put new curtains so that was grand. I don't have any way to get pictures up but hopefully i will soonish

TrickyDicky the speaker setup is really simple - the Sony speakers i have are quite small so their sitting on very small corner shelves. The shelves for the front left and right are about 4" square. The shelf the centre speaker is on is about 4 inches deep and 15 inches in witdh.

if you can imagine that below is the wall i'm projecting onto thats roughly how the speakers are set up

|*********************|
    |**PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP**|
    |**PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP**|
    |**PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP**|
    |S*PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*S|
    |**pppppppppppppppp**|
    |**pppppppppppppppp**|
    |******_Speaker_******|
    |********************|

theritz - i painted the room a pastel blue matt... wasn't allowed to have the place too dark :)

Regards,
    Mick

7. mohtfan

mohtfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Congratulations mike,

Change the colour to white or very light grey (=for better blacks only) as golden cream will give you incorrect colours, both the white and grey will really improve the picture (a bought screen will not necessarily be better) but white is best if the source can achieve reasonably good blacks - best place to achieve this is at source, if your blacks are still not good enough go for light grey.

Tho you are enjoying the picture now over time you will want to improve it, so before you go grey paint it matt white, buy a good line conditioner, add a red cc filter, if necessary a ND2 filter, use a short component if possible, and preferbly a silver one.

Goodluck in your HTland

Mohtfan