Finally got my Harman/Kardon DVD22

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FragglePete, Aug 15, 2005.

1. FragglePete

FragglePete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thought I'd give you my first impressions of my latest acquisition, my HK DVD22 from Pixmania.

Firstly, Pixmania, what a joke! My order took nearly three weeks to arrive due to 'technical difficulties' at the warehouse which essentially had it sitting 'Pending' for about two weeks. Numerous phone calls had the operators appologising but not really resolving the issue, did however get the P&P refunded. Also got the two pin plug hassle as well, but a simple convertor solved that problem. For £129 delivered, bargain (Price has increased now though).

Right, the player itself, very slim and very neat styling. Set it up to play progressive through my Infocus X1 Projector and am definately impressed with the improvement of picture quality and clarity. Things seem so much smoother and brighter. Getting a 576p signal to the X1 quite nicely over a 15 m length of cables. Even the wifey noticed a definate improvement in picture quality, so that is impressive. Had it running with S-Video from my beloved Pioneer DVD-626D before and was perfectly happy with that, but really wanted to use the power of Progessive!

Progressive Output disables RGB output from the Scart Socket, so will be keeping the Pioneer in place for DVD watching on the TV (for the kids) and the HK for DVD's on the Projector Only.

Gives good information on each DVD inserted, showing all the necessary chapters and play order on the disc so you can skip to a chapter directly through the players OSD. Has the ability to turn off the front panel display which will appeal to some people, but not the over bright Blue LED for the Power Indicator. (Enough of the Blue LEDs people!) :lesson:

Disc loading and unloading speed is not excessive, but not the quickest either.

Remote control is a bit odd, does the job well with a backlight, however only the direction buttons are actually printed on any of the buttons, all the others have the text written above the button. So when you turn on the backlight (does not come on automatically) you just see a whole array of greenish white round blobs. Unless you know what each button does, it ain't much help. Will soon have the main features programmed into my E-Pilot, so the main remote will reside in the box with all the others.

So, generally, well pleased so far, only watched a couple of movies so far, but for the money it's a good buy. It just something different than your usual Pioneers, Toshiba, etc. It doesn't play any of the High Defination DVD Audio discs, but I haven't got any anyway! :rolleyes:

Hope all of the above helps someone out there trying to make a decision.

Pete

2. Fush

Fush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I also just got my DVD22. Have you tried upgrading the firmware? My upgrading starts just fine. The numbers on the display run from 01 to 99. But then the player just hangs forever, and nothing more happens. Isn't it supposed to eject the disc or something when it's done? Do you know?