Finally got my 5.1 setup complete but having issues with my Xbox. Suggestions?

vv83

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so I finally competed my home theater setup and really happy with the results. I ended up going with 3 Yamaha front speakers and a sub with 2 Boston acoustic surround speakers. Denon AVR S540BT. Xbox one and PS4 to the reciever, reciever to the Tv(LG B9). Having a few issues with the Xbox and was hoping I could get some assistance.

first problem is the LG tv has a mode called “instant gaming response” which goes to super low latency. This activated automatically when launchjng a game. Unfortunately, when the game response kicks in I completely lose picture. Screen goes black and I still have audio. Seems the denon I bought just doesn’t support this feature. I’ve disabled the feature and it works for now, but I want it back on for online gaming. So I’m thinking I’ll plug the Xbox direct into the TV via HDMI then run an optical cable from Xbox to the Denon. I know HDMI is best, but I don’t watch blu rays and steam all movies through the integrated LG Plex app so will I be missing anything using an optical cable?

Next question is, what mode is best for the Xbox audio settings? I’ve seen conflicting suggestions from searching around.
I'd like to just have it on one setting and have the receiver do all the work for picking the best sound mode. I've seen 2 suggestions when searching through prior posts.

HDMI audio Bitstream out and then select DTS digital surround as the Bitstream format. Or HDMI audio out 5.1 (7.1 is a setting as well) uncompressed. Any suggestions as to which setting makes more sense for a 5.1 setup? I’d like the use all 5 speakers obviously when playing games. I don’t even know if most games support 5.1 so maybe I’d have to use multi stereo? Any suggestions welcome and thank you!

If your receiver supports ARC then you can do away with the optical cable and let the TV pass the audio back to the receiver along the HDMI cable to receive Dolby Digital or DTS.

To get the best audio quality though you want to have the Xbox connected to the receiver via HDMI and make select uncompressed 5.1 as picking Bitstream and then Dolby Digital or DTS will result in the console converting the audio to a lossy format.

If your receiver supports ARC then you can do away with the optical cable and let the TV pass the audio back to the receiver along the HDMI cable to receive Dolby Digital or DTS.

To get the best audio quality though you want to have the Xbox connected to the receiver via HDMI and make select uncompressed 5.1 as picking Bitstream and then Dolby Digital or DTS will result in the console converting the audio to a lossy format.
Thanks for reply, yes my TV supports ARC. Sorry, I'm new to the AV world, so I would have the xbox connected directly to the TV via HDMI, but then would somehow have the sound from the xbox pass through the TV back to the receiver? Xbox to TV via HDMI would be the only connection in this scenario?

Thanks for the settings

My son has his set up by putting all his hdmi cables into the av receiver, then the av receiver connected to tv, that way he has all his stuff in surround sound and as his av does arc he doesn’t require any further cables ie optical connected between anything,

My son has his set up by putting all his hdmi cables into the av receiver, then the av receiver connected to tv, that way he has all his stuff in surround sound and as his av does arc he doesn’t require any further cables ie optical connected between anything,

That is the ideal setup but the OP said he had issue using the instant gaming response with it going through the receiver.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply, yes my TV supports ARC. Sorry, I'm new to the AV world, so I would have the xbox connected directly to the TV via HDMI, but then would somehow have the sound from the xbox pass through the TV back to the receiver? Xbox to TV via HDMI would be the only connection in this scenario?

Thanks for the settings

There will be a specific HDMI port on your TV that handles ARC, make sure this one is connected to the receiver and that will send the audio of whatever is currently being displayed to the receiver, that is how I had mine setup before I upgraded to a receiver capable of handling 4K.

There will be a specific HDMI port on your TV that handles ARC, make sure this one is connected to the receiver and that will send the audio of whatever is currently being displayed to the receiver, that is how I had mine setup before I upgraded to a receiver capable of handling 4K.
Ahh i see. Yes the receiver is plugged into the ARC HDMI port (HDMI2 on my B9). So then I just plug my xbox into a different HDMI port directly into the TV (HDMI1) and then dont need to worry about an audio cable? The receiver will play audio for the xbox when I'm on HDMI1 because the receiver is hooked up to the ARC HDMI2 input? I'll give this a shot

Ahh i see. Yes the receiver is plugged into the ARC HDMI port (HDMI2 on my B9). So then I just plug my xbox into a different HDMI port directly into the TV (HDMI1) and then dont need to worry about an audio cable? The receiver will play audio for the xbox when I'm on HDMI1 because the receiver is hooked up to the ARC HDMI2 input? I'll give this a shot

That is correct, I had my Xbox connected to my old receiver via an optical cable for 6 months before I realised it was not required lol

That is correct, I had my Xbox connected to my old receiver via an optical cable for 6 months before I realised it was not required lol
Alright this works but now unfortunately I can't 5.1. Tried a video game and then also a netflix show that supports 5.1. In the xbox audio settings I can only chose stereo uncompressed or bitstream (5.1 says not supported now). Guess I may have to end up using the optical cable

Alright this works but now unfortunately I can't 5.1. Tried a video game and then also a netflix show that supports 5.1. In the xbox audio settings I can only chose stereo uncompressed or bitstream (5.1 says not supported now). Guess I may have to end up using the optical cable

Through ARC you are limited to either uncompressed stereo or lossy audio formats so if you want surround sound you need to select Bitstream then either Dolby Digital or DTS, this will get you 5.1

These limitation would be the same if you were using an optical cable, the only way to get uncompressed surround sound is via HDMI.

Through ARC you are limited to either uncompressed stereo or lossy audio formats so if you want surround sound you need to select Bitstream then either Dolby Digital or DTS, this will get you 5.1

These limitation would be the same if you were using an optical cable, the only way to get uncompressed surround sound is via HDMI.
Okay great this works. DTS does not for some reason (no audio coming from my center or rear speakers) but DD gets me 5.1 on Netflix and sound through all speakers on COD Warzone (not sure if that game truly supports 5.1). I'm no audiophile so I'm sure Id never even notice a difference. Think I'll roll with this setup. Thanks!

Okay great this works. DTS does not for some reason (no audio coming from my center or rear speakers) but DD gets me 5.1 on Netflix and sound through all speakers on COD Warzone (not sure if that game truly supports 5.1). I'm no audiophile so I'm sure Id never even notice a difference. Think I'll roll with this setup. Thanks!

Pretty sure all Xbox games are surround sound with a fair few now even being mixed with Atmos.

Pretty sure all Xbox games are surround sound with a fair few now even being mixed with Atmos.

16044780885884697823213941337589.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom