Finally got a quiet(ish) HD box !

FZR400RRSP

Ex Member
Reaction score
Third time lucky,but this one is a marked improvement on the previous two.
It's still not as quiet as the Pace SKY+ it replaced,but it's now on a par with the Thomson SKY+ box we have upstairs.
HD has therefore had a reprieve.:thumbsup:
At the same time as I was phoning SKY to get the new box and card paired up,I had a pop at them about the time I've wasted waiting for engineers etc.
The woman offered me all the movies for nowt for 6 months by way of apology,which I accepted.:smashin:

Incidentally,the version number for my box is ( I think,I am at work) 4E3007.
The SKY person that did the pairing up said he'd never seen one ending '07' before,so he said it "must be a new box".

This told me several things;
1/ It looks like SKY really could be re-cycling old boxes between users until they find a home for them.:thumbsdow
2/ Perhaps Thomson have got their act together,finally.:smashin:

so its not a myth you can get quiet sky hd box

and 4E3007 ,thats good to hear

Quiet HD digiboxes are certainly not a myth, the majority of the ones we've sold have been quiet, but you do get a few dogs within them. Only had one returned mind but damn was it loud and the fan never switched off! lol

Quiet HD digiboxes are certainly not a myth, the majority of the ones we've sold have been quiet, but you do get a few dogs within them. Only had one returned mind but damn was it loud and the fan never switched off! lol

The problem is peoples idea of quiet, my box you can hear up to about 6 feet away and this is meant to be the norm. Some people may call this loud while others would say mines quiet. I know a fair few people with HD and it appears their box noise is the same as mine so it does appear mine is like the norm.

It's all about what you can hear from where you sit, if you can hear the fans over the TV on normal volume from your sofa then thats not acceptable.

The problem is peoples idea of quiet

Exactly.
I'm saying I have a quiet box,but it's still far from silent.
You can certainly still hear it from 6 feet away,but it's not intrusive any more.
Certainly a damned sight quieter than the previous two.
Put it this way,it's quiet enough.

If they ever come out with a silent one though,I'll buy one.

The problem is peoples idea of quiet, my box you can hear up to about 6 feet away and this is meant to be the norm. Some people may call this loud while others would say mines quiet. I know a fair few people with HD and it appears their box noise is the same as mine so it does appear mine is like the norm.

It's all about what you can hear from where you sit, if you can hear the fans over the TV on normal volume from your sofa then thats not acceptable.

I think that absolutely right.

I've got a 37WLT68 and there were was a common moan about backlight buzz. I didn't go looking for it by turning the sound down to 0 and therefore have never heard it. Or am i just one of the lucky ones that has a panel that doesn't have the buzz?

And now I'm getting HD installed tomorrow and I've read of the complaints about noisy boxes. Can I be as lucky again?

Just got mine installed - 06 version number, definitely noisier than the Sky + box it replaced. PQ is fab though, hopefully I can live with the noise.

Exactly.
I'm saying I have a quiet box,but it's still far from silent.
You can certainly still hear it from 6 feet away,but it's not intrusive any more.
Certainly a damned sight quieter than the previous two.

I think you have now got a run of the mill one bowfer, hope you enjoy this one better then your previous ones as I know from past posts you have not been happy with noise. If you cant hear it with the TV on normal volume then I think you can put a :smashin: to it.

the one i have is pretty loud

i was hoping to record one of favourite shows last night

this show was on at around 1 in the night

i taught it might not wake me up
but guess what is was so loud i had to plug it out :mad:

i remember my pace sky plus 80gb box .never was loud at all

is it possible to get one that wont wake you up in the night

is it possible to get one that wont wake you up in the night

Hard to say,as the slightest noise in a quiet room can be annoying.
To put it simply though,just phone SKY and demand a new one.
You don't have to go into great detail.
I didn't.
I just said "too noisy,doing my head in,I might cancel and go back to SKY+"

Of course,the time off waiting for engineers is a pain.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom