Finally finished

diggler46

After two years of upgrading, decision making, saving and lots of help from these forums it's finally finished. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a seperate HC room (next house maybe) so have had to make do wit hthe front room. Here's the results....

Originally started off with a 32" Panasonic, Kenwood amp and Tannoy mx speakers:
2%20-%20Panasonic%2032%20(Medium).jpg

Then upgraded to a Samsung 40" LCD Decemeber 2006, with a Yammy 759se following soon after:
5%20-%20Samsung%20Wall%20Mounted%20(Medium).jpg

Febuary this year bought the KEF 5005.2's and stands:
8%20-%20KEF%205005%20Stands%20(Medium).jpg

Then decided I wasn't that keen on the stands so sold them and got to work channeling out for wall mounting:
13%20-%20Channelled%20out%20(Medium).jpg

Spent the bank holiday weekend decorating:
15%20-%20Painted%20Palladin%20(Medium).jpg

Followed by putting everything back and here's the finished product.

Side view:
16%20-%20Side%20Palladin%20(Medium).jpg

Rear left:
19%20-%20Rear%20Left%20Palladin%20(Medium).jpg

Rear right:
20%20-%20Rear%20Right%20Palladin%20(Medium).jpg

Front:
21-%20Front%20Palladin%20(Medium).jpg

Update:
22%20-%20Front%20Oak%20Unit%20(Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Empwan

I like it, fantastic job. I bet your well proud with the results.

How'd you find the 5005's wall mounted compared to the stands? and the 5005's overall?

diggler46

Very.....

They sounded slightly better on the stands, probably due to the width. Love the 5005.2's, admitely theyre don't have the same depth as the tannoys, but the looks and clarity more than make up for it.....(will be bronze MA's if I ever do get a cinema room, just couldn't get the missus to agree for the living room), hehe

alz2605

Fantastic mate! Oh and don't kid your self! We are never finally finished! Theres always something we perceive as being better or usually more desirable out in a few months time after our last big purchase!

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Fantastic job - looks really great! I would like to ask a question if I may! I have noticed that like many others, you have placed your main L & R speakers fairly close to the screen (in this case probably about 40" apart) - why not further apart for better sound separation and more flexibility? Your KEF's must have cost a pretty packet and I may well be very wrong here, but does not having the main L & R front speakers so close together compromise the performance in some way? Just asking!

Suave!

diggler46

When they we're wider apart on the stands they did sound ever so slightly better, but I prefer the look of them close to the tv, plus I have a big unit to the left so they couldn't go that far apart.

In all honesty, unless you are always changing about, after a few days you get used to the sound and forget about how they sounded wider apart, if that makes sense....

Suave

Distinguished Member
When they we're wider apart on the stands they did sound ever so slightly better, but I prefer the look of them close to the tv, plus I have a big unit to the left so they couldn't go that far apart.

In all honesty, unless you are always changing about, after a few days you get used to the sound and forget about how they sounded wider apart, if that makes sense....

I guess as long you stick to that screen size (and not bigger!) - as you stated you did not notice that much of a difference! It is a brilliant job you have done there matey!

Suave!

diggler46

There is plenty of cable pushed back into the holes for the side speakers incase I ever got a bigger tv....doubt it though but who knows.....just hope black gloss don't go out too soon, hehe

jolly

Great install, like the colours

:thumbsup:

Magslad

Nice install mate :smashin:

Have recently acquired the KEF 5005.2's myself (to be paired with my new Onkyo 606, once I have built my loft cinema room), and I'll be doing a similar placing around the screen. Makes sense that they sounded slightly better wider apart, but in terms of aesthetics they do look good clustered round the screen. I agree they look much better wall-mounted than on stands, and also far more wife-friendly than floorstanders!

diggler46

Very true....as said before after a few days listening it doesn't even cross your mind about how they would sound wider apart, hehe

diggler46

For my needs they are perfect:
TV, Couple of movies a week and 360

I wouldn't recomend them if you like to listen to a lot of music though, as for that their just ok.....

stelangton

Standard Member
hey it looks great nearlly exactly same as mine i cant have the sub on display though because small hands will think its a toy!!

diggler46

not here yet bud.....few months...then another couple of months till he/she puts her fingers through the sub.....:(

topcourier

Looks fantastic :thumbsup: Is the tv fixed to a plasterboard wall? if so did you have any problems? My bracket arrives this week form ebay and i am very nervous about hanging mine on the plasterboard. Cheers.

MassiveJim

Digging up a bit of an old thread here but I am absolutely in love with the TV unit, can you tell me where you got from ?
It looks custom made ??

diggler46

Not cheap but then again it is when you compare it to what you get from next or harveys for the same amount. Also, it is buy it now or best offer so you could probably get it a bit cheaper.

Quality is top notch, all solid wood, no cheap veneer. You won't be disapointed. We also bought a dining table from the same company and that is also top notch.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022