Quantcast

Finally Finished Modest Lounge 5.1.2 set up

dollag

After Finally buying my 1st property, I I had minimal money to invest in a perfect home cinema, so I thought i'd showcase my three year journey on transforming my modest lounge and the lessons I have learnt after a lot of help from you guys :)

Prior to Moving, I had some existing equipment in my Bedroom at my fathers;

Sony NX803 40 LCD TV
Yamaha AX750SE AV Receiver
Kef 2005.2 5.1
Custom HTPC

Jan 2014: Got the keys and this was my new home and this was what i was working with.

IMG_2817.JPG
IMG_2818.JPG
IMG_2819.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG

It didn't take me too long to get cracking and after some wall treatment, started paint and Cracked on

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG
IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

dollag

Once I was settled in and had some spare cash, I decided to Upgrade my TV, Receiver and Speakers. I was not happy wit the locations of the Eggs as they were high and was concerned with floor space but that all went out the window.

I got bored of the red quickly so also changed the colour scheme.

Upgrades were;

Samsung HU7100 55 LCD TV
Kef Q500 L&R
Kef 3005SE for centre and surrounds
BK P12 Sub

IMG_5661.JPG

Attachments

dollag

2015 saw a lot of changes and after hearing atmos and seeing Oled TV's I saved every penny so I could again upgrade (hopefully for the last time)

I decided to take trip to Sevenoaks S&V and RS to collect;

Kef R500 L&R
LG 55920V Oled
Marantz SR7010 (Ordered online Peter Tyson)

IMG_6794.JPG

dollag

I decided to order some Magnat IC-62 Ceiling speakers for atmos and build a floating ceiling for lighting and atmos duties. They should be a foot further apart but my friend mucked up the cuts and we ran out of wood. I should of re-done it but was already throwing tools around. Tbh its sounds fantastic so not a massive regret.

Due to space constraints, I opted to replace my centre with an LS50 (no space for the R200); however I have been so impressed with it.

Finally I have come to a point where I am happy with the lounge and how it sounds. It's a small space and cannot wait to do it all again. I have made a lot of errors on the way but learnt a ton, mainly from the help of all you so would like to say thanks to everyone who has answered my stupid questions and shared your knowledge on here. honestly a great place :thumbsup:

IMG_6898.JPG
IMG_8909.JPG
IMG_8911.JPG

Last edited:

welshy

Great job there, looks modern and cosy. Thanks for sharing.

dollag

IMG_8915.JPG

dollag

Looks really nice. Just a silly question? Is you AV Unit a Besta or something else?
Spot on, was a Besta unit from ikea; however it has two drawers on either side which I never installed to allow space for Equipment.

Winnie1221

Looks great mate, love the floating ceiling.

How are you finding 5.1.2 Atmos? Is it much of a step up from 5.1?

And how far apart are your two ceiling speakers as you mentioned you think they should be another foot or so apart?

dollag

Looks great mate, love the floating ceiling.

How are you finding 5.1.2 Atmos? Is it much of a step up from 5.1?

And how far apart are your two ceiling speakers as you mentioned you think they should be another foot or so apart?
5.1.2 is to be honest, amazing. I was not expecting such a dramatic change with just two height channels but it really transformed the listening experience. I just wish i could of installed a 5.1.4 (need a bigger house)

They are 4 foot apart; however they should be in more line with the L+ R's

Bigady

Can i ask what you did about the wires going to the ceiling speakers? I want to do a similar thing but the level of work required to hide those wires scares me a bit...........

dollag

Can i ask what you did about the wires going to the ceiling speakers? I want to do a similar thing but the level of work required to hide those wires scares me a bit...........
Of course. All I done was cut out 3 holes in the ceiling and ran some tubing through connecting each end. I then threaded all the wiring through. One hole was covered by the floating ceiling, the others I reboarded and filled in. The hole right in the corner near the window has the wiring running down the wall but is out of sight. Was going to trace it in the wall but because you cannot see it I didn't bother.

IMG_6833.JPG
IMG_6834.JPG
IMG_6836.JPG

dollag

Winnie1221

5.1.2 is to be honest, amazing. I was not expecting such a dramatic change with just two height channels but it really transformed the listening experience. I just wish i could of installed a 5.1.4 (need a bigger house)

They are 4 foot apart; however they should be in more line with the L+ R's
Oh right, i'm looking forward to getting mine set up even more now! I'll keep the spacing in mind when fitting the ceiling speakers, just bought a couple of ceiling speakers and going getting a Denon AVRX2300 at the weekend. Cheers mate. :smashin:

dollag

Oh right, i'm looking forward to getting mine set up even more now! I'll keep the spacing in mind when fitting the ceiling speakers, just bought a couple of ceiling speakers and going getting a Denon AVRX2300 at the weekend. Cheers mate. :smashin:

Let us know how you get on,

Here is a picture of the Dolby atmos layout. make sure you also have the speakers at least a metre away from the walls too!

yumdovpiuxlqbtivqvlq.jpg

stevie1464

Standard Member
Very nice setup that. Great looking room. Do you notice much difference between the kefs? I've got the q500s L and R and q200 for centre. Have been looking at moving onto the R series for a while...

dollag

Very nice setup that. Great looking room. Do you notice much difference between the kefs? I've got the q500s L and R and q200 for centre. Have been looking at moving onto the R series for a while...
The q's are a great speaker and was really happy with them but the r series really are in another league. I was fortunate to have them side by side to compare. They sound very similar toneally (as expected) but the r's sound more refined, have more depth in the lows, just overall a better sounding speaker. If your local your more than welcome to come and have a listen

Trending threads

Latest News

UK telecoms come together to keep country connected
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sharp and NEC display venture to push 8K + 5G tech
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon and Marantz bring Roon compatibility to products
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco launches home demo scheme