Finally dropped Sky+ and got a SKYBOX F3S. Need some answers please...

violator9

Novice Member
Reaction score
Bit the bullet lads. I was really fed up with paying Sky every month (and showing more loyalty to new customers rather than existing). Things got worse when BT came along and gobbled up a good chunk of the footie too. So .... got's myself a SKYBOX F3S which is working very well with the Sky Anytime wireless adaptor (the only good thing they sent me after 11 years). My 2 questions are if you can advise:-

1. The at Sky told me that since I was cancelling my TV package (still have phone and broadband with them) then all my recorded films, programmes etc on the Sky box would no longer work! I wouldn't mind but the kids have a lot of Disney stuff etc recorded. Is there anyway to reactivate / bypass this block? Also, the rewind and pause wont work - error message comes up "Live pause is not available, call to upgrade your package....". No way am I doing that.

2. Is there anyway that a stand alone HD recorder can be connected to the SKYBOX F3S to enable recording whilst watching other programmes? The box has a loop LNB socket.

I would appreciate any pointers here guys - I'm new to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Sky provided the service you signed up for and agreed to.... The encrypted recordings are not accessible.

2. No, unfortunately you purchased the wrong receiver, sounds like you want a twin tuner box.

As for pointers... What your probably doing with the Skybox cannot be discussed here. :D

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Kevkbuk is right in saying that Sky have only done what you signed up to with them.
It does sound like you've gone for the wrong machine to replace the Sky one.
There are many others - not necessarily with twin tuners - that will do what yuu want in recording.

App
1. Sky provided the service you signed up for and agreed to.... The encrypted recordings are not accessible.

2. No, unfortunately you purchased the wrong receiver, sounds like you want a twin tuner box.

As for pointers... What your probably doing with the Skybox cannot be discussed here. :D

Appreciate the feedback but what exactly do you mean with your quote "What your probably doing with the Skybox cannot be discussed here". Am I missing something ?

The point of a Skybox is to get subscription services without subscribing to the supplier.

VU+ solo2 boxes are great. twin tuners so you can record one while watching others. these also take a hard drive internally. but there not cheap £200 ish then you need to buy a decent hard drive to go inside it. PS im taking about freeview channels ;-)

The one thing you are NOT talking about is Freeview channels!

DELETED!

Hmmm there was a perfectly valid suggestion of a vu+ duo and a mistake about Freeview, why the deletion???

Why would they (Sky) block the viewing of the prerecorded programmes and films that I paid for during my full subscription period?

The $ky + feature is "their" intellectual property and the software is no longer yours to operate upon cancellation. I get your point (Totally) but thats the shake down mate.

Why would they (Sky) block the viewing of the prerecorded programmes and films that I paid for during my full subscription period?
Because you only paid a subscription for live (or delayed time shift) viewing of that content which is also usually the rights that Sky have purchased from the content providers and NOT the right to create permanent archived libraries of content.

Note also that with Sky you only need an active sub with Sky+ facility to record channels you do not subscribe to, build up a collection of say movies and then subscribe to those channels to view them - e.g. record from Sky Movies and then upgrade your sub to include the Movie channels for say Xmas and view your collection. The check for an active sub at time of viewing works both ways and many use this over Xmas etc.

same reason why sky treat new customers like gold & it's free this and free that (it never is if you ever add it all up) & tell you how everything in sky is so wonderful & then once you're in & over the honeymoon period ....it kind off changes slowly & gravitates one way ..more more £££s .. it's just a nice touch at the end of your loyalty that if you dare to cancel (like if you lose your job for example) you can't get at all your recordings either .. still yo do keep the box which is worth about £5 by then if the psu hasn't gone & the sw is designed to be next to useless if you do try to cancel.

.... er.. wasn't recording tv for your own reasonable use deemed acceptable here.

Somewhere on YouTube i have seen a "Getting your recorded programs off of your old Sky HDD" or something like that, they are on that HDD and they are your property as they reside on your own hardrive that became your property once your contract was completed.
Look on Youtube mate.

You'll only get the FTA broadcasts off it, all recordings for subscription channels are encrypted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom