Finally doing it right in the garage

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by MacReady, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I moved in to my current house just over three Years ago when I was single. The intention was to make the living room a bit of a man cave (as there was no one to stop me;)) and then, in a few Years, convert the garage to a 'proper' home cinema room.

Well, as things do, that's all changed. I met someone not long after moving in here and, in around a Months time, the new build we have bought together will be ready:D

The only problem is, as much as she loves watching movies at my house, she says there is no way the living room is going to be grey and black and filled with big black speakers at the new place. The up-shot of this is that she has said I can convert the garage to a dedicated home cinema:thumbsup:

Whilst looking for a new place this was a major consideration (within our budget, of course) and garage size was one of the things I was looking at all the time.

We have ended up with a house that has a garage that is pretty much perfect for what I want to do.
    I have added the floor plan below with my scribblings on to show what I have planned. The garage is quite long and has a divider area where the main construction blocks jut in around a third of the way into it. After checking in the chow home, I have found that the garage door can still fully open and not reach that section so the intention is to build a wall across there so we still have a sizeable area of storage at the front of the garage we can use and keep the garage door so the front of the house doesn't look any different.

The biggest issues is that there is no internal door into the garage (the model up had one but the garage was much smaller). So I need to put on in, as in the plan, in the utility area to the back of the kitchen.

I have been reading a LOT of the build threads on here (especially from the likes of Ronski and Alien) and getting my head around what will need to be done to get the best insulation and sound proofing. The intention is to get a fixed scope screen with some kind of masking system and a 4K projector (not a true 4k one..something like the HD65...unless the price drops drastically in the next Year!), along with an upgrade to my current AVR (currently have 5.1.2 in my living room) so I can go with 7.2.4.

This is going to be a BIG learning curve for me but I intend to document every step of it and, hopefully, when it's done, it will be everything I have wanted for many, many Years.

Wish me luck:p

Attached Files:

2. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    Congrats and good luck!!

What size is the room before you start?

I see the boiler on the plans, are you leaving it there or moving it?

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    The boiler is already winding me up to be honest. We have seen two of this style of house as show homes....one had the boiler in the garage (on the back wall rather than the side as in the plans) and the other had it in the utility room and was boxed in.

I have asked if ours can have it in the utility to save me having to get it moved but have been told it all depends on the individual house so I can't have any say in it:thumbsdow

I don't have the full plans with me at the moment (just the electrical) and that doesn't have measurements on it...off the top of my head I 'think' it is around 3.5m wide by 6m long...but that is the total length and includes the area we will be blocking off as storage at the front.

4. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    I'd insist on it being in the utility room if I was you... otherwise you will have to go to the trouble of moving it.

I'm in the process of reconverting my garage from a playroom to the cinema. Currently stripped back to brick and ceiling joists. My room will be 2.5m x 5.2m, althought the front is slightly narrower due the shape of the house, so is just 2.3m.

5. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    If it's an outside wall, I don't see what the problem is with having the boiler in the utility. It's two feet along the wall.

Best of luck. I'd love a dedicated room, but lounge-cinema will have to do. SWMBO is pretty forgiving.

6. Russa

Russa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Can you move the new door to the side?

I'd be tempted to build a false wall across the back wall (with door for access to boiler) as it will also create a place for the av eqpt.

You could then move the front wall further forward and lose a bit of storage, if its an up and over door they are garbage at sound and heat insulation. I put a roller door on instead. and the garage is the warmest room in the house.

Having the boiler in the garage means its easy to fit a radiator in there.

7. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a man in possession of a fortune (or a house) is in want of a wife.... Jane got it right!!

8. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    Huh! You are buying the house, so if it not in the utility room, buy the one next .. I can understand that it might not be possible to relocate a boiler, in a terrace of houses. There is a great advantage in having it in a utility room anyway. All the noise sources, washing machines etc are close together and the residual heat from it will help dry clothes.

9. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    We will be back at the site this weekend so going to have another word.
    It sounds like I have another thread to subscribe to and follow then;)

Thanks:smashin: As I say, I have now seen it positioned in two different physical locations and another one on the plans. I think what they are trying to say is that it is all down to the plumber who does the work more than anything:rolleyes:

There is only the area on the plan where I have drawn for the door...unless you mean to the side on the outside of the house?
    It's hard to tell from the drawing I did, but I intend to house the AV kit in a dedicated comms cab (already have a spare brand new one one...advantages of working in IT) in the area under the stairs but have access to it from the garage/cinema room. That is one I need to look into though as it's not something I have the first clue on how to do?

My other half would appreciate that quote;)

Buying the next one was not much of an option unfortunately....price, location, size of other rooms all had to be right. As I say, we are going back this weekend so will have another word. Also got a walk around with the site foreman in the next week and, seeing as the roof trusses are only just going on, I would say we still have time to potentially influence the location of the boiler if I ask nice enough.

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Just got back and looked at the exact measurements. The garage is 3390x6098 but that includes the area at the front which will be walled off and still used for storage.

11. Russa

Russa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    If you're moving in around next month I'm guessing the pipework is already in and moving the boiler may not be an option?

Personally speaking, there is no way I would be want my boiler in the utility room. Having said that I don't plan on converting the garage.

12. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Well, the site say the house will be ready in a Month....however, as mentioned above, the roof is not even on yet and I personally don't think it will be ready this side of Christmas (just don't let my other half hear me saying that as she is already panicking it is going to be delayed).

My issue with leaving it in the garage and boxing it in with access, is that I don't know how noisy it will be? The main tank is upstairs in a separate cupboard but I am a bit clueless when it comes to plumbing so have no idea what does what.
    I just don't want to be watching a movie and hearing the smaller boiler cutting in behind my head every time anyone runs the hot tap:rolleyes:

13. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    Once the roof is on you will be amazed how quickly things grt finished. It's only when you start ripping stuff out later on you realise how it was done so quickly! I've lived in my 'new build' for 18 years, so have made a few changes now, and its been an eye opener on shoddy work-manship - but as it was hidden I didn't see it until knocking walls down etc.

Anyway, if you are getting a cold water tank and a hot water cylinder, you will have a Gravity Fed system. Most people end up changing to Combi Boilers, so you want to ask if that can be done now. Unless you are having solar heated water?

The boiler shouldn't be too noisy, unless its not fitted properly and rattles, or is faulty, but you can hear them. Plus it will be a fairly large obstacle on the wall that will take up valuable space.

If you're in IT then you probably have this covered, but make sure you get loads of CAT6/7 cable installed everywhere before the plasterboard is put up. Also wire up for wall and ceiling speakers, cameras, HDMI etc. Oh, and you can never have enough power sockets, so try and get them to fit more if you can!

14. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I already asked about cable runs in walls (cat 5, HDMI etc). They can't do the network cable runs but can put me in a HDMI and power point in walls for any TV's I want....at almost £500 for each installo_O. They also won't put in speaker cable runs in ceilings as they offer their own in wall/ceiling multi room AV solution.....at £10,000:censored:

The garage will be fully networked and I am not worried about power sockets as that is the one thing the house has plenty of on the plans. There are quite a few extras we would like but, unfortunately, the cost for each is so high that we just can't do it (it's almost £100 for each extra downlighter we have asked for).

15. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,067
    How much?!! :eek:

Have you asked if they will let you run cable, or bring in your own electrician? Those charges are way too high. I once used an electrician who switched from charging by the hour (at a reasonable rate) to charging £50 + VAT per downlight or socket, and that was with me supplying the fixings. I changed electricians.

If they won't let you or a third party put cable in, then see if they will let you fit conduit instead, which will make running cable later a bit easier.

16. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    If this is a new house and you are buying it from a developer, then you have no clout. The electrian works for the builder, not you. They will be prepared to do a few minor additions at their fixed rates. Yes it's expensive, but they are making their living too.
    If this is a new house and you have employed a builder to work on your site, you have much more clout, but they will still demand standard piece rate rates.in this case you could get conduit etc put in , but it would need to be an extra coated job. The French have very low cost conduit basically a flexible PVC tube with draw wires inside. Putting this in place before the plasterboard fix is trivial and very low cost... A full house conduicted would be 50 euro in material and maybe three hours work.
    If this is a new house and you are the contractor, employing trades as required, then you have full autonomy, and can make your own rates for the jobs. But,
    Remember that where mains electricity is involved, you will need to get it certified, otherwise the utility won't connect you , the insurance company won't accept you and the mortgage company , if involved won't authorise payment.
    Just live with the pain.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  17. kap01

kap01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Unless the builder is a small independent there will be very little chance of making major changes. As plans are already set out, the builder adhere to work which is then checked by building regs and also the relevant backed insurance (e.g NHBC).

I get my new build in Jan 2018 (via Redrow) and have only been able to change around sockets locations and add additional ones. It really does suck as I would have gone to town with it! Networking, AV etc. As you state, options for this kind of work via them is ridiculous. A great example is redrow wants £2800 just for spotlights in the kitchen and 3 bathrooms, circa £125 a light!.

I am getting my spotlights put in once I get the keys at a cost of £35 a light, even if I add £5 for the filling and painting if required (its only plasterboard) its still much less. Also tiling and even underfloor heating... I wouldn't mind paying fair rates, not over inflated!

In reference to the heating system it will probably be an unvented system vs the vented system as described above, which is far superior. So I would be concerned with this, the bonus of this system is the boiler will be small enough to go into a kitchen style unit. Also a stand alone combi boiler is not ideal for multiple bathrooms.

Vented Vs Unvented - hot water cylinders - Mr Central Heating

18. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Exactly...it is a new house from a developer (Harron Homes) so, as I have basically been told by them, with regards things like electrics and plumbing, It will be put where they want it and if I want it moving I will have to get someone qualified and certified to move it once we are in.

Wow! That sounds even worse than Harron Homes! It is just ridiculous what they charge. We have only gone for a few extra spots downstairs but have been advised by people already living their that a local company will do all the extra ones upstairs at a fraction of the cost....along with all the exterior lighting, alarm system, towel rails etc.

As you say, the cost of stuff like tiled flooring is just silly prices and can't be justified when you can get really good external companies in later to do the work for cheaper.

19. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    This is how ours is looking as of two hours ago. It has barely had anything done in the last two weeks....they say it will be ready in three weekso_O

IMG_1022.JPG

20. kap01

kap01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    wow they said Christmas?? Mine is currently at second floor, I will be happy and hopefully for an end of Jan 2018 completion if the building is water tight by Christmas. From what I can see it looks nice! I like the brick colour, style.

After some consideration my desire for a nice new sporty car has overtaken my want for a dedicated home cinema. So I hope to actually house the car in the garage.

21. kap01

kap01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This is mine as of yesterday, I can’t get as close as you are. The street is currently closed !

Attached Files:

22. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Take it that's the back of the house (or the garage is in the middle of the house;)).

Looks a similar size..what size is the garage on yours?

Ahh the sporty car conundrum. We went through that recently as well. I was telling everyone I was going to get a used AMG C63 and my partner was at the point of arranging the best finance deals for an Evoque...then we decided it would probably be better if we actually lived together and got a house first:p

23. kap01

kap01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Haha yes that's the back, so you can see a kitchen window, French door opening and Utility/back door.

The garage dimensions are certainly smaller then what you have mentioned on yours! 5.35 x 2.77 but I haven't actually measured the space. Like yours no internal door, which is utterly stupid!! Not sure how they can sell them as internal garage yet no internal door. I have been told its to do with achieving a high energy rating. Check out Redrow Oxford house type that's what we have gone for.

Yes, well possibly an S4 Avant (if we have more kids) or Golf R. However my trustee Japanese workhorse will do for now until this house is done!!! However the wife will no doubt find another project which will ruin my automotive plans.

24. Russa

Russa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I would be amazed at 3 weeks. My basic rehab took me 4 months (I'm no professional though)

Same for me regarding garage, my race car is kept in it, had no real option as it doesn't have a roof or doors or locks even.

Luckily we had a 35sqm workshop at the bottom of the garden which I converted instead.

Even if you can't move the boiler it won't be an issue imo.

25. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    We reckon it will be mid January before we are in...judging by how long they are taking to complete other plots on the site.

Really hoping the boiler is not an issue.

26. kap01

kap01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Cant you just box it in?

27. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Realised I had not posted on this thread in ages...mainly because there has not really been anything to post.

However, that will soon be changing. We have our home demo tomorrow and then are hoping to complete on 2nd Jan...that gives us two weeks to move into the new house before our 'time is up' in the current one.

I have been doing a lot of reading and research in to all the different aspects of doing the garage conversion as well as all the new kit for the spec I would like to go to. Nothing is definite yet as I need to get some idea of measurements etc. before I buy anything. The first job is still getting a door fitted so I will be getting someone in to do that at the end of Jan (hopefully).

There has been one major spanner in the works though....I was made redundant two weeks ago!

It was a job I had been in for 17 Years but, due to it being a government body that had recently been given to a private contract, I have not exactly come away with a lot of redundancy. I don't want to carry on exactly in the same field (IT Project Manager) so have decided to use some of my payout on CEDIA Membership and then taking some intensive courses for qualifications as ESC-T, ESC-N and ESC-D. I am hoping I can get into the residential AV/Smart home installation trade and then work up a bit over a few Years with an aim to starting my own company.

May sound like a bit of a dream...but you don't get anywhere unless you at least try to make your dreams come true ( I sound like a bloomin' Disney movie:rotfl:).

The advantage of this is, of course, once I have been on the two Months of intensive courses and training with CEDIA, I am hoping I will have such a better understanding of all areas of installs that mine will end up being something I can do, pretty much, without the need for any external companies.

2018 is going to be an interesting Yearo_O

28. Patch04

Patch04

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Wish you the best of luck with your new career and hope the house move goes well

29. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222

30. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546

3 weeks??

This is ours as of Xmas day and we’ve been told Feb/March

IMG_0996.jpg

Garage is gunna be detached down the side of the house but the living room is gunna be where the kit is going.