finally decided - tosh 46wmp48

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by albertz, Feb 4, 2005.

1. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    after trawling through the plasma forum, and ending up more confused & frustrated than ever i have decided that the tosh 46 is for me, :thumbsup:

just ordered from rgb direct ( any experience with these guys, del time etc. ) :confused:

i would appreciate any hints / tips from tosh owners out there as to what to do with it when it arrives,

shnipps - thanks for your advice, hopefully it will fit, :smashin:

just like to say thanks to all of you for your views, this forum certainly educates the uneducated.

2. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem man, glad to help

Gorgeous set, utterly huge, shows up dodgy digital sky/telewest feeds a bit but i can live with it. The gf hated it when we first got it, as it covered up the window too much :O). Now im sitting here in the other room and she is sprawled watching some utter trash on the tosh. She doesnt winge now.

Dont think i could go back to anything smaller now.

Be prepared for the brightness though its insane in a dark room especialy with whites and crisp colours, looks the muts.

3. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hi Schnipps, this is my first post. I would like the Tosh but my room maybe too small. What is the minimum viewing distance ? Best wishes, Geoff.

4. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    minimum viewing distance?? i hope its not less than 10 feet, my livingroom is tiny! i have just moved into my flat, there isnt even an rf socket, telewest and ntl say they dont service my address, and surrounding building height may preclude sky!

oh my god i might have to move!!

5. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    im sure you can get a roof/chimney mounted dish, or even have one stuck on a realy tall poll.

6. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Me too,i have a small room and i reckon my viewing distance would be about 10 feet also.

Geoff.

7. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't worry guys, my viewing distance is about 8.5 feet, and the picture looks absolutely superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks very cinematic!!!!!!!!!!

8. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me viewing distance which i have just checked with a tape measure is at the maximun 10foot and a few inched. My living room is 14 foot by 12 foot so its not that big, the tosh is in the far corner and my seat near enough the other corner

9. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Geoff. :)

10. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Another question guys. Unfortunately, i am only able to get 4 channels of tv from an aerial ie BBC1,BBC2,ITV and Channel 4. I live in a flat and we are unable to have sky because the powers that be will not allow us to put a dish up.Also,there's no cable and no freeview. Should this put me off buying the Tosh? Oh, i do have a DVD player.

Geoff.

11. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Have had a tv from RGB. Their shop is in Ilford. Had a problem with coaxial input for DD. Sent a repair man out who fixed it with a new board on the spot. No complaints at all very helpful staff.

12. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Geoff, Do what i do M8! I only ever watch the music video channels on sky anyway, i've joined the Blockbuster on-line dvd club, rent as many titles as you want per month, i've opted for the 5 disc deal at £20 per month, they send you five dvd titles out, and as you return them they send you the next ones out from your on-line list! All postage costs are included - 1st class - no return dates, keep them as long as you want, and every title i've sent back/received has had a 3 day turnaround - best thing i've ever done - the moral of this is don't not get the Tosh just because of not being able to go digital, today's digital signal is far from perfect for such a huge screen size anyway, and with a TV that size with such good potention, you'd be wasting it watching digital anyway - what the Tosh really deserves is DVD! And no i'm not on commission from Blockbuster! I'm the vice chairman!

13. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Soni, im just about to sign up to blockbusters rental program but im going to go for the 3 dvd offer. I figure i spend at least 20 quid a month on dvd's so why not + i think you can cancel any time

14. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rapid,
    If you have normal terestrial TV, the Tosh is very watchable, in a small room, like Soni's room or larger. My viewing distance is only 10 or so feet, and even pondered about going for the 52" version, alas my mrs wont let me change it now.

The only advise I can give you to FURTHER increase the BEAUTIFUL images of the TV, is to spend around £200 to £250 on a HDMI DVD player, and enjoy the Hi Definition TV images that these DVD players can producse.

Over the last few weeks I have almost watched 30 DVDs, AGAIN after enjoying the Higher picture quality.

PS, sorry guys, I havent been online much, but thats only cause I have been watching the BOX

15. bitmapped

bitmapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm definitely buying a Toshiba DLP set, but what I can not decide is whether it will be the 46 or 52.

I know the 46 is huge enough but I'm thinking that the 52, although bigger - the noticable difference will only be slight. On the other hand, it will give a better viewing angle, and an even more cinematic experience.

Can anyone tell me if buying the 52 inch is a wise option?

My living room is 20+ feet long, normal viewing distance is from 10 feet but I have kids who like to play in front of the TV and watch from as near as 7 feet. Obviously, they'll be playing games from that distance as well.

16. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats right Schnipps - no contract! You CAN cancel at any time, i like the idea of being able to watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it - and also the choice of about 23000 titles! - and to think its cheaper than the SKY movie package! And its 5.1/DTS/ES and better quality picture!! Good on ya Blockbuster!!

17. bitmapped

bitmapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm definitely buying a Toshiba DLP set, but what I can not decide is whether it will be the 46 or 52.

I know the 46 is huge enough but I'm thinking that the 52, although bigger - the noticable difference will only be slight. On the other hand, it will give a better viewing angle, and an even more cinematic experience.

Can anyone tell me if buying the 52 inch is a wise option?

My living room is 20+ feet long, normal viewing distance is from 10 feet but I have kids who like to play in front of the TV and watch from as near as 7 feet. Obviously, they'll be playing games from that distance as well.

18. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think anyone on here has the 52" yet bitmapped, i would say for a 20 foot room i would have probably gone for the 52. As for watching from 7 feet, its possible but i think it would be a bit too much for a 52.

19. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Cheers Soni and maidstoneman30s.

Geoff. :)

20. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Rapid 17,

im in exactly the same position as you, cant get sky ( conservation area ) and ntl dont service this area, i can possibly get telewest only if every other flat takes it up, and thats looking iffy, :thumbsdow

however i have looked at the planning rules for my area ( newcastle - quayside ) and they cannot object to a freeview arial, so i would try again with this if i were you ( which im not )

21. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hi matey. I live in Eastbourne and at this moment in time there is no freeview on the Heathfield transmitter which is where my pictures come from. One of the TV dealers i visited recently said that some people who live on high ground can pick it up with a suitable aerial pointing at the Dover transmitter which doesn't help me. I recently sent an email to the BBC letters page and had a good whinge and said people in Eastbourne should pay a reduced licence fee in view of the reduced service but i didn't get a reply.

Geoff.

22. dbisping

dbisping
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Costco in Walthamstow has a couple of 52's in stock, (bout £2,050 inc VAT), one of them was running side by side to a 46", it seemed to me it was not noticeably bigger, certainly not for the extra £450

Dave...