1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally decided to stop sitting on the fence

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pickle, Feb 19, 2004.

1. pickle

pickle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive decided the time is right to take the plunge and buy my first projector. i came to this conclusion after recently seeing a pt-ae300 in action and was very impressed with it, considering the price that its fallen to with the release of the pt-ae500.

the only thing holding me back is the thought that in 6months time i might wish id have paid the extra to get the ae500.

i have read other threads about the ae300 v ae500 both here and on other forums that have had conflicting outcomes. from what ive read i beleive the ae500 is a good step forward over the ae300, however the biggest advantages seem to come from sources like HDTV or a HTPC (which i dont have) and that when using a relatively cheap dvd player (which i do have) the advantages diminish greatly.

considering the fact that my cash flow isnt endless, do you think the ae500 is worth the extra £300+ it would cost me? or would i be better off ploughing that money into something like... a dedicated screen (over a cheapo blackout blind) or a subwoofer (currently using some b&w604s3's with matching centres+rears) or some dvds or.. etc etc. :smoke:

apologies for what is probably yet another 'what projector should i buy' thread but i plead ignorance as im new to all this :)

any advice/feedback/other options appreciated.

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Spend the extra money on the 500 you will not regret it.

Especially when you realise that you need to buy a new hcpc then an electric screen,subwoofer,dvds,new kitchen sink etc.:laugh:

Now seriously i thought about upgrading from the 100 to the 300 but didn't see enough of a jump in pq so i went with the 500 and am delighted i did. Although i am admittedly watching movies via a pc.

hth.

Adrenochrome.