Finally decided to bin the TV licence.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelboy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As of the 1st of October I will be TV license-free!

I was tempted to do this last year when the license was due but chickened out at the last minute. After a talk with my wife about not being able to watch certain programs, she was totally cool with it (in fact she reminded me that it was her that wanted to bin it last year).

I've plenty of TV content to watch with Netflix, Disney plus and Amazon Prime, not to mention all the catch-up services from ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 so the BBC can finally swivel and go fudge itself!

Did it a couple if years ago. Moved into a new flat that had no aerial or sky dish etc. Simply didn't bother and must admit, don't feel like I've missed anything at all.
Did have a licence bod knock on the door shortly after moving in who wanted to come in and check after explaining that we had no aerial or means to see live TV. A very polite bugger off saw him go and I registered online shortly after that I didn't need one.
Not had anything since.

I did the same after years of supporting the BBC wholeheartedly, now hand-on-heart the only thing I miss is the snooker. £150 was a lot of money for something I rarely used.

I've moved my TV and it no longer reaches the aerial socket across the room. I should do the same tbf.

As of the 1st of October I will be TV license-free!

I was tempted to do this last year when the license was due but chickened out at the last minute. After a talk with my wife about not being able to watch certain programs, she was totally cool with it (in fact she reminded me that it was her that wanted to bin it last year).

I've plenty of TV content to watch with Netflix, Disney plus and Amazon Prime, not to mention all the catch-up services from ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 so the BBC can finally swivel and go fudge itself!
You still need a licence to watch some of the services you have listed. It is a licence to receive television services, not exclusively from the BBC. I look forward to subsidising your future viewing.

Last edited:
mike7 -

No I won't.

The license is for Live TV - as it's broadcast or any BBC content and on BBC iplayer.

The rest I can watch - I've looked into already.

The only things you can't watch of what you now have are any Live Sports, performances or Concerts on the likes of Amazon or Disney.

You don't need a licence to have those services, but should purchase one if you plan to use the live broadcast side of it.

The only things you can't watch of what you now have are any Live Sports, performances or Concerts on the likes of Amazon or Disney.

You don't need a licence to have those services, but should purchase one if you plan to use the live broadcast side of it.

No danger of that.

We won't be watching any live broadcast.

You still need a licence to watch some of the services you have listed. It is a licence to receive television services, not exclusively from the BBC. I look forward to subsidising your future viewing.
Not one to go over a subject done to death in various sections of a forums or to tell another member they're wrong...but you're wrong on that Mike. You're not 'subsidising' anyone.

Ah..I'm guessing you mean the off chance that you may watch a live broadcast of whatever sport on Amazon Prime Video....utter crap of course.

Last edited:
i am sure the bbc will need to evolve into the 21st century to stay alive in the future. well done for cutting the ties. so much to watch anyway and not enough time in the day. enjoy the £150+ money and let your wife buy some new shoes.......

i am sure the bbc will need to evolve into the 21st century to stay alive in the future. well done for cutting the ties. so much to watch anyway and not enough time in the day. enjoy the £150+ money and let your wife buy some new shoes.......

I told her Bake Off is starting soon and that we’d have to watch it the next day. I also told her there’s no more Eurovision. Small price to pay for a few hours entertainment........or shouting at the TV.

I’d come to the conclusion that the only fairly regular thing I’d watch live was the news and all I seem to be doing these days is shouting at the TV when it’s on.

No license, no news, no shouting at the TV, happy family all round!!!

Also......don’t give my missus ideas about new shoes!!!

question my tv licence runs out in Jan might not renew it. do i have to register that i dont want one or need one or something like that?

can i watch youtube and netflix perfectly fine with out a licence ?

can i use all 5 itv player my5 fine ?

You can watch anything you like.

As long as it's not a live broadcast or stream, the BBC or BBC iPlayer.

You can watch anything you like.

As long as it's not a live broadcast or stream, the BBC or BBC iPlayer.
ok thanks do i have to let them know i no longer want the licence or just not renew it?

HID watches eastenders.
If the 6 nations rugby goes to prime, I won't have anything to watch on bbc.

I might as well get rid of it the only thing i watch is match of the day everything else is on other catchup services

You can fill it in preemptively and simply cancel your direct debit. I got a warning that I'd cancelled but eventually the 2 departments spoke to each other and then I got another letter saying when my license would expire.

You can cancel anytime and you will receive a refund for any remaining period you have paid for.

Reading the website it says ...

You don't need a TV Licence if you only ever download or watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TVprogrammes on any channel, including on iPlayer).

So basically you need a TV License for iPlayer and none of the others as long is you don't watch LiveTV. IMHO £150 is a reasonable amount to pay.

You can cancel anytime and you will receive a refund for any remaining period you have paid for.

I usually pay in full so once I've made the notice that I don't want another license then that should be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom