1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally decided on the Z1 (I think!)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SpiderManPants, Apr 12, 2003.

1. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

After much p*ssing about with widescreen televisions and rear projection systems etc. I think I've finally decided to take the plunge and get myself a projector. Having owned a Panasonic 29" 4:3 TV for the last 5 or 6 years, I have been unimpressed by the way 16:9 televisions handle 14:9 broadcast material on the whole.

In order to solve my problem of big screen movies without compromising my girlfriends soap watching, I have decided that a new 4:3 TV (Sony KV29LS30) and a front projector is the way to go. I had initially thought of buying the new Sony KF-42SX200 LCD rear-pro but I think that after watching things like 'The Bill' on it all week the impact will be lost when the weekend comes around and it's time to watch a movie!

So my questions are as follows...

1. Is the Sanyo PLV-Z1 the best option under £1500?

2. What is the best (manual pulldown) 16:9 screen to match it with?

3. What Prog-Scan DVD player would you recommend to partner with it? (I currently have the Pioneer 646A and probably won't be upgrading this for a while)

4. Would a HCPC be a better option than a DVD player, and if so, why?

Any help would be very much appreciated, as I'm a newbie to all this projector stuff!!!

My room is about 12' long, if it helps...

Thanks in advance

SMP

By the way the rest of my system is just about sorted... Although it has taken about 6 years to get here!

UK Xbox
    Pioneer 646A
    Denon 3801
    Rotel RMB-1075
    M&K S85 (Front Three)
    M&K MX-70B Sub
    Cheapo Sony Rears - (soon to be M&K K4's)

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    The Sanyo Z1 is a great projector for the money. I will be purchasing mine in the week after easter. Over the last three odd months I have demoed most 'budget' projectors and for me the Z1 came out on top. (not seen Panny300) It offers a great picture, loads of connections and a quiet fan to boot.
    Sure, there are better PJ's out there but you need to spend more.

Screen wise, I understand that draper manual pulldowns are ok. However, I am purchasing a grandview screen from www.intoav.com. These are very good American da-lite copies and offer great value for money and terrific performance.

I would wait on the prog scan DVD deck at the mo. Progressive PAL is the next big thing for Euro consumers so wait and see how the market develops as I expect that in six months most of the DVD big boys will be selling decent prog san PAL/NTsc enabled decks for a reasonable price.

I have zero knowledge on HTPC so cant help you there.

Your room is about the same length as my cinema room. So, a screen somewhere between 5 - 6 foot would suffice. I think that anything bigger could dwarf you and be too much (in my opinion). I think that the general rule here is to be 1.5 - 2 times the screen width away. This way, you will not notice the picture construction on the screen. The Z1 has a short throw lens so setting the PJ up in front of you will not be a problem.

Finally, you quote the Z1 as £1500.00. Shop around.

www.nexnix.co.uk are selling for £1200.00 inc. VAT, but pay for a dead pixel check.

www.intoav.com will match nexnix I think. They may even offer you a good screen/Pj and leads package at a competitive price.

I hope that this helps. Buying a projector can be a minefield and frustrating but listen to the people here and you cant go wrong.

Keep in touch,

regards,

captain benefit.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I own an Ae100 and my room is about 13ft long and about 7ft wide. I have an 80in (6'8") wide 16:9 screen. So basically the screen is pretty much the width of the room. It certainly doesn't look too big to me from my seating position at the far end of the room (12ft) and to be honest I want to be dwarved by the screen!! I used to have to sit at about 9ft from the screen and it didn't look too big then either. Even this close it didn't fill my whole field of vision. Anyway the whole point of widescreen was to involve you more in the onscreen action by filling more of your field of view!. In my opinion as long as you are not sitting ridiculously close to the screen and as long as the throw ratio of the PJ can give you the size screen and PJ position you like, then I would say you will eventually be disappointed that you didn't go for the biggest screen you could.
    If you decided on a 5ft screen you would nearly be as well to get a 60in rear projection telly. Just my opinion though.

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Heres 2 pics of both ends of my room. I haven't quite finished it and need to touch up here and there and hide cables etc. The first pic is of the screen. It certainly doesn't look too big to me but each to his own I suppose. The second pic is of the back end of the room. Those arm chairs are being replaced when I take delivery of my new 3 seat leather recliner couch. Above are the dvd shelves and the top shelf with the curved extrusion is the PJ shelf (No PJ cause its in for repair-See me repair debacle thread!!) I couldn't ceiling mount so this shelf gets the PJ out to its maximum throw distance for my 80in screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Rande

Rande
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went into the showroom to demo and then buy the Z1.
    But the salepeople managed to sell me a Z90E (£1900) as I didn't find the rainbows of the DLP too annoying, and now that I'm relaxed about it, I don't even notice them anymore.

Due to the length of my room, I can only really go to a 5' screen else I get the front row effect.