Finally Decided - Comments?

C11 XFF

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After much reading of the forum I have managed to piece together a system within my budget (£3500).

My system would be as follows:-

Pioneer 436XDE
Mordaunt Short Genie package
Denon 1906

Any comments, suggestions or alternatives would be greatly appreciated. I am 100% sure of the Pioneer after seeing a HD feed on it at the weekend.

Stuff the HD feed, it'll be 5 years before a majority of your viewing is HD, by which time the XDE will be in the garage connected to your old PS3, and your PS5 will be connected to a spanking new SED display. See it with sky on RGB or you ''might'' be disappointed. Note the ''might'', you may well think the same as HD. Be warned your budget is skewed an awful lot to video, not much to sound. The sound package will not do the screen size justice IMHO.

I was in the same place as you a couple of months ago, but with a little less budget. I spent £3000 on my system and i love it!! In the end i went for:

Panasonic PTAE700E projector - £950 (my pride and joy)
Beamax 76" screen - £120
Yamaha DSP-AX757SE av amplifier - £450 (very good but realising i would have liked the built in radio tuner that came with the european models or the next model up)
Castle Compact speakers - £1000 (love em!! nice and small so have been wall mounted with brackets bought in B&Q)
Samsung DVD-HD950 - £130 (little dissapointing picture quality of upscaled HDMI doesnt give any noticable improvements, need to replace with my pearents Panasonic 55 dvd recorder to get TV on the projector)
Cables - £200 (van damme blue speaker cable from maplins, mark grant digital coaxial, mark grant subwoofer cable, lindy HDMI cable and profitagold component cables)
Philips Pronto remote - £150 (just ordered so dont know how good it is yet!)

if i had the extra £500 that you wish to spend i would have gone for a better dvd player & a yamaha 1500 instead of the 757.

You havent accounted for cables or a possible all in one remote in your list which will probably bing up your price a little.

Good luck with your purchases though!

Would also recommend getting a decent amp and DVD player - I'd be putting about £750 towards that, a similar amount towards a good speaker set up and around £2k on the screen.

MAW said:
Stuff the HD feed, it'll be 5 years before a majority of your viewing is HD, by which time the XDE will be in the garage connected to your old PS3, and your PS5 will be connected to a spanking new SED display. See it with sky on RGB or you ''might'' be disappointed. Note the ''might'', you may well think the same as HD. Be warned your budget is skewed an awful lot to video, not much to sound. The sound package will not do the screen size justice IMHO.

just when you thought you'd finally made a decision :rotfl:

sorry, couldn't resist. i know how tought the decision making process is :confused:

btw - i have my sound from a stereo source and its great. :thumbsup:

C11 XFF, I must agree with MAW, you need to beef up the sound system bud.

The MS Genie is a good speaker package, but the subwoofer is not as 'powerful' as a Velodyne CHT-12R, for example.

The amp/receiver is a bit light also. An Arcam AVR300 would do the 436XDE justice. :smashin: I would budget ~ £1000 + on the receiver.

I think the sound makes the film.

You may be wise 'downgrading' to an SD/HD panel, such as the Panasonic PWD8. This will cost you circa £1200 less than 436XDE. The PWD8 is HD ready via the HDMI terminal board, the image will be downscaled though.

Food for thought.

Cheers

Mark

MAW said:

It's comments like this that put me right off going for HD anytime soon. I want it primarily to upgrade the footy, as well, which can be awful on sky. But my take on this is the good pictures will get better and the bad stuff (mainly from Spain and France) will stay poor/bad for some time to come?

I think I might stay with my old steam driven pani 4 panel

Thoughts MAW?

Dont know about steam driven but i saw a 4 series with a lumagen and wouldnt upgrade if i had one :)

You have to at some stage, if we all waited for the next best thing what would we have to moan about.

The sound plays at least 50% of the part , if you have understanding neighbours.

av2diefor said:
Dont know about steam driven but i saw a 4 series with a lumagen and wouldnt upgrade if i had one :)

You have to at some stage, if we all waited for the next best thing what would we have to moan about.

The sound plays at least 50% of the part , if you have understanding neighbours.

I'm thinking scaler but the techno side leaves me totally baffled. We are lucky and have very understanding and I think very deaf neighbours so I can crank it up when required. Its this HD or not HD thing that is driving me mad now or get a scaler
icon5.gif
icon9.gif

av2diefor said:

That depends what your priorities are. Whilst it would be lovely to be able to spend £££'s on "proper" sound it is not a necessity imho :) Plus we are in a terraced house at the mo so its not an option. But like i said we have great sound through our hifi.

I "jumped" the other night when I heard something whilst watching a film :eek: - I thought it was a noise in the house but of course I realised it was the film :rolleyes:

The sound is 50% of the part, not 50% of the cost. :)

As you have realised with your jumping episode.

A decent amp and a 5.1 package wont break the bank and a decent hifi can give good affects.

Ah, agreed then, point taken :D

Sorry, I guess what I am pointing out is that it may be possible to utilise existing hifi - just as another option. I realise this is not possible for everyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom