1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally buying the Sony VW11

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nigel_williams, Mar 6, 2002.

1. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After posting and asking questions here for the last 2 months, I've finally taken the plunge and ordered a Sony VW11 from PRC in Forest Gate, London for £4,150. I've also ordered the Unicol ceiling bracket which should be delivered monday.

But guess what? I've just done another search on the Internet and found Robert Whyte Ltd advertising the VW11 for £3,999 - Has anyone had experience of this retailer? Maybe PRC will match their price even though they advertise at £4,350

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Have never done business with them myself, but other threads here would indicate.....

AVOID Robert Whyte at all costs.

Allegedly, their after-sales service is abysmal, and their attitute towards customers, once they have parted with their cash is disgraceful. They appear to flatly refuse to entertain refund and/or exchange, and have even threatened customers with legal action when they have commented on this here.

As I say - not from personal experience - just from reading this board.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Ditto.
    I won't ever go near them.
    They shot themselves in the foot about 18 months ago.
    Just do a search to see for yourself.

4. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is just one of the many reasons why chasing a cheap price can be a serious gamble which could wipe out any potential saving you might make compared to using a dealer. Of more importance, to my mind, is the retailers dead pixel policy. This is where a face to face with the dealer and a demo of the product wins every time. OK, it might be more expensive initially, but if your left with a faulty PJ and the retailer isn't interested you're basically left with a £4k doorstop. Slightly OTT maybe but its happened before to others (myself included), never again.

Check out PRC's dead pixel policy, weigh that up against your own tolerance of dead pixels and, if it still looks a good deal, go for it.

5. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a search for posts.

I will call PRC today to see if they can match the price (as advertised). I was recommended PRC by someone in the AVS forum as they will let you check out the projector for dead pixels before leaving the shop.

For something as expensive as this, having a local supplier will be better if something goes wrong.

PRC also offer a 5 year warranty for £256 (I think) - Is it worth going for this?

6. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,

If you can demo the PJ before buying then the price looks pretty reasonable to me. Don't forget that Sony give you a 2 year warranty anyway so the £256 is really only for the 3 year extension. Nonetheless it seems a good deal but as always you should check exactly what is covered, if its parts only a reapir could still be expensive. Though not as expensive as having no warranty eh?;)

7. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I spoke to PRC this morning and they will not match the price from Robert Whyte as they are not an authorised Sony Dealer, they import units from the continent.

Not a problem though, I'm going to use my barclaycard so I can price match (hopefully).

For the first year, Sony will send round an engineer to fix any problems but I can extend that to 5 years for £256. Sounds a reasonable amount as it covers parts and labour (not consumable parts like bulbs/filters).

I think it will be worthwhile for ~ £50 a year.

8. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its an excellent PJ. Go for it.

9. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got the Unicol projector mount today and it's a really sturdy bit of steel! Certainly looks better than the Sony mount (thanks Miro and Gordon for the recommendation).

Next job is to mount the screen tomorrow and fetch the projector.

Then the tricky job of fitting the ceiling mount. Does anyone else have the Unicol mount and can offer suggestions on how to mount it?

What type of screws/bolts work best? How do I get all four bolts/screws into the joists?

10. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nigel

I wait with baited breath on your expectations being fulfilled. I have been waiting patiently for someone to review this PJ. I do hope you will share your experience!

I have seen the Sony 10HT but am led to believe the 11 is much superior and have been waiting for somone to take the leap.

I look forward to reading your review!

11. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Beamer, there's already a few people with VW11's that I know of: zcaps57 (Eric) and Miro.

I too have had a demo of the VW10 back in November at Musical Images and was very impressed, especially by R1 Starship Troopers. I managed a short viewing of the VW11 recently at the Bristol show but it's difficult to judge performance in that environment. It got a favourable review in Home Cinema(?) I think last week.

I'm busy decorating right now so the projector will have to wait till Wednesday - my father (who's a carpenter) is going to help me mount the screen and ceiling mount tomorrow evening. He's suggested using coach bolts/screws for the ceiling mount and putting blocks of wood between joists so that all four corners are securely fastened, it is 8Kg after all!

As soon as I'm setup, probably at the weekend, I'll start posting my views. I have a DV camera which only does VGA res screen-grabs but I'll see what I can manage!

12. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,

If my experiences with the 11HT (and probably most other owners) are anything to go by you would be advised to have the PJ ISF calibrated. I'm waiting for Gordon to get his test gear back so that I can have him round to do the business.

My own PJ appears to have an insatiable appetite for the colour green which no amount of fiddling with the colour temperature settings gets rid of. It is subtle but does look 'wrong' if you see what I mean. A well colour saturated dvd such as Toy Story hides this problem but it shows up with normal film material. Any outdoor scenes with grass, leaves etc. and the PJ is screaming GREEN at you. Skin tone is another good test, with my PJ skin looks old and weathered instead of bright and healthy. Theres just a wrongness to the colours which can be annoying at times.

I've seen better reproduction from the 11HT so I hope Gordon's magic does the trick. The 11 HT is the daddy of LCD PJ's and deserves proper setting up to get the most out of it.

13. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the tip. I'll be giving a good testing at the weekend, parents are visiting at the moment so not much chance!

Know anyone in the London area (S. East) that might be able to help?

I could try Musical Images (Beckenham) I suppose.

Any advice on spotting dead pixels? PRC will let me fire one up before buying tomorrow. Think I'll go for the 5 year warranty too!

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Nigel: Even if you only get two coach bolts in to the joist I'd be amazed if it doesn't ake teh weight. 8Kg is nothing compared to some of these things. Your fathers idea is good though. It wont be going anywhere.....Just check then re-check measurements as physical positioning makes such a big difference to projector picture quality.

To test for dead pixels without the use of a test disc with full black or white fields just put projector on and press "picture mute" on remote. This will try and make image opaque. You should be able to spot any red green or blue dots. If you see what looks like smudges on colour try focusing the lens to make them more obvious. Chances are it's hairs or dirt. Also make sure the thing is tested upside down if that is how it will be oriented when in use. StereoStereo had a cleint who had a dead pixel which didn't look that bad until the projector was turned over...then it was a beacon of light......not nice....

Good luck and have fun!

Gordon

15. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the tips Gordon. Managed to test the projector at the shop (in far from ideal conditions!) but there doesn't seem to be any dead pixels. Nick at PRc said he's sold over 40 units without any problems.

Well the 2 coach screws are holding the projector in place nicely, don't think I'll try suspending my lardy frame though!

Now I need a couple of hours to play with the colour and brightness settings!

Anyone got a good starting point?

16. miro

miro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad the Unicol is a sound buy.

I have a handful of stuck bright pixels on the right and bottom. They aren't generally obvious, and when immersed in a film, you never see them. But when the PJ was new, they stuck out a mile.

I haven't got around to setting up the image properly as yet, ie. using Avia or Video Essentials, just used the THX Optimode video setup thing. It seems to work, Toy Story 2 R1 looks good, Gladiator suitably dingy and sepia.

In fact, over recent times I've stood on good ground with my local Sevenoaks PJ guy. I've invited him around, once the RGB cable is made. He has Avia, one of a few new copies on Amazon. Apparently the rest are secondhand and production has ceased. Is this true I wonder, anyone know, Gordon?

It may be an idea to visit a store with a person you can trust, who's got an Avia type DVD and willing to pay you a visit. Worth a try. Unless you fork out for ISF'ing. How much does it cost, I wonder?

Cheerio.

Miro