1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally built the HTPC but need help with PowerStrip, Dscaler & ffdshow

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by irishkeet, Sep 29, 2005.

1. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

I finally built my HTPC (which I think is the easy bit!), thanks to all who advised me.

Now I could really do with some software advice for...

PowerStrip - Dscaler
    Basically Im not sure if these programs are only needed if using a projector. Im not quite sure what I would need to do with them

As for ffdshow - I messed about with this but it only seemed to make the DVD picture worse (no matter what I did!), Im using TheaterTek and I followed the beginners guide @ htpcnews.com.

Im using a Gigabute 6600GT, I have NVIDIA PureVideo installed and a Samsung LE26R41BD

I just have this feeling that Im sitting looking @ all this kit i bought and somehow Im not quite getting what I can from it

ANY AND ALL HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

irishkeet

2. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, you haven't listed any TV capture devices so I'm not sure why you need dscaler so I'll leave that one for now ...

1. First thing to do is ensure your desktop res is either set to the native res of your display or failing that, a standard HD res. I think your display is 1366x768 so you should be using that or the 720p HD res of 1280x720. I'm not sure about the latest nvidia drivers but you previously couldn't set non-standard res such as 1366x768. This is where powerstrip comes in. Use it to add 1366x768 to your available desktop resolutions and you're done.

2. IMHO, ffdshow isn't worth bothering about as you'll be really hard pushed to get an improvement on your 26" display (it's mainly used to sharpen a large image with a projector). As you say, you have purevideo processing anyway so that should be enough. I'd suggest taking ffdshow out of your Theatertek post-processing options and just have 'nvpp'. Also enable renderless mode (set DVD setting to 'VMR9' and check 'full screen' in advanced tab). You could always try ffdshow at a later date once everything looks ok to you if you still have the feeling you're missing out on something!

Word of warning ... now that you're into HTPC, you'll hardly watch anything because you'll be playing with settings all the time! :D

3. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Mark
    Many thanks

Is my tv card not the capture device (Nebula DigiTV)?

Word of warning ... now that you're into HTPC, you'll hardly watch anything because you'll be playing with settings all the time
    Yes Im beginning to feel like that already, i have loads of decorating to do and spent most of last night tweaking bits :rotfl:

4. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, missed your signature details!

Dscaler only works with analogue cards not digital so you won't need this. Just use the app that came with the card or use the Nebula BDA drivers if using in conjunction with a front-end such as MCE or Media Portal.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    If its the PCI nebula card you have then you can use the rather poor analogue composite capture stage on the card with Dscaler. However its probably not worth it as ...its composite and the quality on the nebulas analoge stage is very low anyway. ( I don't know why they even bothered with it to be honest)