Finally bought B&W M1 speakers - cable choice?

mike79

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally bought 5 x B&W M1 Mk2 speakers as a likely replacement for my existing B&W CM series setup. My REL T7 sub will remain.

The rears will use my existing QED micro cable (likely wall mounted). For front LCR, I currently have Van Damme blue 2.5mm cables.

Does anyone know if these will fit into the M1 speakers?

Was thinking of wall mounting them so perhaps a thinner cable would make life easier - more of the QED Micro or even pushing to QED Silver Micro (x2 the cost)

Any info / advice appreciated

Van Damme do a 1.5mm2 assuming you don't need long cables? Fisual do a similar cable too. đź‘Ť

Thanks. Was hoping to reuse what I have.
Will find out tomorrow when they arrive as to what works.

As it is for the fronts, it wasn’t going to be too long a cable - prob 3m to L+R and 1.5m to C. If I chase into walls, it likely becomes 4.5/5m for L+R.

I have the Van Damme 2.5mm2 and its fairly chunky, chunkier than QED original for example which I understand just fits these speakers. The soft outer sheath can easily be stripped back of required. If that's too messy then QED micro at those lengths should be fine.

Van Damme 2.5mm fits perfect. These sound great and look so much better in the room. Will play tomorrow with the Audyssey settings.

CM series speakers heading over to the classifieds shortly...

Good stuff! Not sure of the frequency range of the M1 speakers but set 10hz above that and it should sound good!

I have a set of M1s with Denon 4500 and SVS SB2000 pro.......they sound awesome when they need to. I've set everything to 80Hz which is a bit more than 10Hz above the M1s spec, would you recommend I dial it down a bit to 70Hz?

I have a set of M1s with Denon 4500 and SVS SB2000 pro.......they sound awesome when they need to. I've set everything to 80Hz which is a bit more than 10Hz above the M1s spec, would you recommend I dial it down a bit to 70Hz?

Those figures are dream for a tiny satellite speaker with 4" driver with sealed cabinets. Most M1 owners have set them at 100hz / 110hz / 120hz which is lot more ideal for them so try those! I think most reviews opted for 100hz, but if playing very loud 120hz may be more ideal.

Just checked the spec sheet and they are listed at 64Hz so 80Hz seems reasonable

Just checked the spec sheet and they are listed at 64Hz so 80Hz seems reasonable

Still they measured somewhere around 90hz in third party measurements. Typical from B&W exaggerating specs. You don´t lose anything trying higher setting as you have quality sub which should blend great and play cleanly higher up to support those small speakers.

Is that for the M1 mk1 or the M1 mk2?

Use the specs as a guide but set them to what sounds best to you. It's your system. They need to be set at or above the lowest frequency though or you'll miss out on some sounds. Setting them higher, along with a decent sub should have you covered. My speakers play down to about 75hz. I tried mine at 80hz, but prefer the sound at 90hz. đź‘Ť

Upgraded from MK1 to 2 and yes when raised to 110htz with my Monitor Audio sub got a bigger sound as played louder as the sub looked after lower end.

Have tried that and sounded really bad so sticking with 80Hz all round.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom