1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally Bit The Bullet!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SBanga, Jul 18, 2005.

1. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    After three months of careful deliberation on what to spend my £400 - £500 on, I finally decided on a sub! I discussed on this forum my thoughts of buying a Velodyne CHT-12R, a Sony SA-WX900, a SVS PB10-ISD and a BK Monolith. And the chosen one I went for is...........

a Paradigm Servo 15!! It was up on ebay and I couldn't resist. I've read up on it (both on here and elsewhere) and not seen a bad word said about it. Also, I am buying a known entity rather than having only a few reviews to go by, as the Sony and BK do. I know it isn't quite in the same league as Steve.EX's four :eek: or Chris' two, but, hopefully I'll be happy with my upgrade from my now popped Paradigm PS-1000. I'm picking it up on Thursday so I'll let you guys know how pleased I am then!

A big thank you to everyone who contributed in my buying decision!!! :smashin:

2. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Good choice. :)

3. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I've been playing with my new friend for three days solid now and I can't find any chinks in its armour. Yes, I have only heard a few subwoofers in my time but the Servo is still jaw droppingly good compared to my old PS1000 (I didn't expect such a big difference). Even at very low volumes, it sounds deep and impressive. At high volumes, with music and movies, the thing is just gut wrenching. Its the first time I've heard a house room properly pressurised with bass and there's still plenty of headroom!!
    The only slight problem I do have is a bit of hum and some random pops. Is this just a dirty power supply and I need to buy a mains conditioner? Or does it have anything to do with the X-30 control box? Anyone with similar experiences???

4. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
  5. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Okay, I've managed to pin point the "random pops" to switches elsewhere in the house being turned on and off. So I'm guessing I do have a dodgy power supply and the hum may be caused by this too. The thing is, I never had this problem with my old sub plugged into the same socket. Now, would I be best off buying a proper mains conditioner or would a general purpose spike protector from Argos or the like suffice? I don't want to spend loads of money but the spikes are annoying when listening at low volumes!!

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I find that the Belkin gold series work very well and aren't too expensive. :)

7. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    They seem reasonable but I don't need seven sockets! Any good ones with less sockets?? Only the sub's going to be connected so other sockets will be going to waste.
    Or what about this??? http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=4222

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  9. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    My only problem is that my amp and tv are a fair distance away from the sub so I can't plug everything into one hub, and I obviously can't run the sub power cable alongside the phono cable. Then again, if the Belkin solved the problem, I could probably get over 7 plugs being wasted!!

EDIT : Just seen the six socket version on amazon for £40 including delivery. Good buy?? I'm still a bit unsure if this'll solve my problem. Don't wanna be stuck with a £40 extension socket!!!

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I run my power cable (home made) to my sub right next to my sub coax cable (mark grant made) and dont find it makes any difference. I would recommend plugging everything in to the hub and then make a cabel of your own to run from it to the sub.
    The gain from the extension is worth the inconvience of running a long cable to your sub. :D

11. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    OK, I'm gonna order the Belkin tommorrow and use it next to the sub for the time being. When I get some more money (Servo's drained me!!) I'll buy a custom screened sub and power cable. Should do the trick!!

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Look at Mark Grants sub cables in the cable power buy section. They are top quality for :beer: money.

ALso look in the diy cable section and you will find a few ways of makeing your own power cabel for peanuts compared to buying one. My 2 metre cable cost me under £10 to make with plugs, in fact the left orientated plug for the sub cost the most:eek: