1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finalizing -rw discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wharfman, Dec 15, 2004.

1. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 420. If I finalize a -rw disc so that it plays on another dvd player and then undo finalization on the Pioneer, does that mean I can record for the full 2 hours of the disc , or only what's left after the initial finalization?

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I should think you could do either. Delete and reuse the whole thing, or add a bit and refinalise. That's how the Tosh works.

3. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Pio 220 and can finalize a -RW, watch it on another player, then unfinalize it back in the 220, delete some or all of the recordings on the disc, re-record on some or all of the "freed up" space, finalize it again and so-on.

Nearly ran out of breath on that one but I hope it helps !

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I works the same as audio CD-RWs. Unfinalise doesn't delete anything. It just makes the disk writable again so you can add more items if there is space. You have to Erase (delete) items after unfinalise to get rid of earlier recordings to free up space for reuse.
    If you don't need the -RW disk to be usable on another player you don't need to finalise. You may also be OK with another machine of the same make.

5. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your help!