Finalising on the DMR E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Welshman, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Welshman

Welshman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently filled up a Ritek dvd-r on my DMR e55 when i tried to re insert the next day it it kept self checking and turning itself off. I managed to get it out but it cant be read by my panny SHT900 (i presume because it hasnt been finalised). Having put it back into the e55 selecting disc management - Finalise, i get a message 'disc cant be finalised' Has anyone else had this prob, is it that e55 doesnt like this type of media. Ive used Bulkpaq DVD-rs (not finalised) on it without any probs so far

2. panaman

panaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have had exactly the same problem when I did a FR recording on my E50 using a DVD-R.

The disc will play fine on my PC via Windows Media Player, but not one piece of software I have tried will convert it into an MPEG format so I can burn it again using nero/tmpeg.

Someone suggested heating it with a hairdryer to get it warm and then try to Finalize it, but I am a bit dubious of doing that.

Really annoying as it was the whole series of The Smoking Room back to back :confused:

3. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Remember once reading a post couple of years ago about taking the disc out of the machine before the finalisation process and that resulted in any further attempts to finalise invalid.
    Seems to defeat the object if that was the intention ( unless someone tries to play the unfinalised disc in a non panny machine and then reinserts disc to panny for finalisation) Believe that would make the intended process unreliable.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    You should always try and finalise your media before removing the disk. I appreciate that isn't always possible on a standalone recorder like the E55. However it can be difficult to get the recorder to recognise unfinalised media. Switch your unit on and let it warm up, then use the hair dryer trick suggested by others and re-insert the disk - hopefully it will re-accept the disk and allow finalisation.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    I've had a problem on my E85. I used FR mode to record a video straight onto a DVD-R (a Datawrite Red V3 that came free with my E55). I tried to finalise straight after recording had finished and it failed. I've tried a couple more times and it won't finalise. Any ideas ?
    I've never used these Datawrite DVDs before, but as they came free with my E55 (from AvLand) I assume they should be OK for the E85 as well.

6. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    John,
    Never tried the reds myself after hearing mixed views on them but find the yellows work well on the panasonic. There cheap enough to try a few out.