Finalising DVD-RW Disk??????

Nick 156

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've spent the last couple of hours manually editing and archiving video camera footage of my 1 year old daughter's first year. I have a Panasonic DMR-ES15EBS and am using a Panasonic DVD-RW disk. The footage has copied perfectly, but I cannot seem to finalisde the disk. I've been through the finalising process, refering to the very basic step by step instructions in the manual, but it keeps coming back unsuccessful. Is there a setting I could change or another method of finalising I could try? The thought of starting this long winded process again is just painfull. Any thoughts / suggestions / opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nick 156

You only finalise DVD-R disks which means you cannot write further to them and it makes them compatable with DVD players. DVD-RW are meant to be re-written and can be played on any player supporting that format

Thanks for your reply pcdoc. Is there simply a compatability issue with my Denon 1920 then?

If it plays in the Panny but not the Denon then it's possibly player not liking a particular make of media.

The EX85 has the finalise option for RW discs, it's only the RAM discs that don't have the option.

You only finalise DVD-R disks which means you cannot write further to them and it makes them compatable with DVD players. DVD-RW are meant to be re-written and can be played on any player supporting that format

This info is wrong. You need to finalise DVD-RWs in the same way as you would finalise DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs if you want to play them in any other DVD player/recorder except the Panasonic. I'm pretty sure you get to the finalisation stage on Panasonic DVD recorders by going into Functions, Other Options, Disc Settings, and within that menu there is a Finalise Option.

So should an -RW disk be able to finalise? I have a cheap DVD player in the bedroom, and it doesn't work on that either. I'm guessing it should finalise, but my machine won't do it? Help :lease:

So should an -RW disk be able to finalise? I have a cheap DVD player in the bedroom, and it doesn't work on that either. I'm guessing it should finalise, but my machine won't do it? Help :lease:

If you've found your finalise option on the Panasonic, and it's just failing to finalise the disc you have used and coming up with an error message, then there is a problem with that disc and you need to try another.

Thanks for your replies guys. Do you think there maybe a compatability issue between my recorder and the disks I've bought? Do you think I would be able to take the disks I've bought back and exchange them for others? They were bought from Curry's on Sunday.

Thanks for your replies guys. Do you think there maybe a compatability issue between my recorder and the disks I've bought? Do you think I would be able to take the disks I've bought back and exchange them for others? They were bought from Curry's on Sunday.

Hi Nick

This is rather a difficult isssue to deal with... because disks can fail to finalise for all sorts of reasons and they are not always knowable.

I know you've invested a degree of time in making this disk but you may have no choice but to accept that you have to effectively write it off, or solely play it in your source machine.

To make disk format decisions you really need to know what disk format types are supported by the various machines that you might expect to play that disk on.

But there are bigger issues here for you to address.

Having made this transfer of camcorder footage I presume your intention was to have it archived onto DVD. ..Unfortunately, the use of RW disks is not recommended for archiving - only temporaray storage.

So you may have been better considering saving on DVD-R's which have the widest general compatibility anyway.

To go back to your question - as the disks are Panasonic [ which will be of the highest quality] and your machine is a Panasonic, the issue of there being an incompatibility is virtually out of the question.
The problem must lie elsewhere.

Experience on this forum clearly shows that RW disks create more problems than other types which is another reason to consider using a different format type.

Good luck.

Thank you for your considered opinion Gavtech. I've just tried a +RW disk on the machine as well, again without success. I've been on the phone with Panasonic customer care, who have been through all the options with me, and it seems like my recorder is the fault.

I've been told to take it back to Curry's and exchange it for a new machine. Given the negative feedback about -RW disks, I think I'll buy some -R disks too.

One last question, I still have the non-finalised camcorder footage on an -RW disk. Given that I will be replacing the recorder with an identical model, what are the chances of the new machine finalising this disk?

Again, thank you in advance for your help. :thumbsup:

I certainly have to finalize DVD-RW discs on my Pioneer if I want them to play on other players. But then Pioneers also have an 'Un-finalize' command if you want to later add more stuff.

Regards

Mark

Thank you for your considered opinion Gavtech. I've just tried a +RW disk on the machine as well, again without success. I've been on the phone with Panasonic customer care, who have been through all the options with me, and it seems like my recorder is the fault.

I've been told to take it back to Curry's and exchange it for a new machine. Given the negative feedback about -RW disks, I think I'll buy some -R disks too.

One last question, I still have the non-finalised camcorder footage on an -RW disk. Given that I will be replacing the recorder with an identical model, what are the chances of the new machine finalising this disk?

Given the investment you have made in the recording - I hope it does... I am afraid my instinct tells me it wont.

I am surprised that Panasonic regard this as being a problem of the recorder [ It's nearly ALWAYS the disk ] but maybe they know better... and if they are correct , then maybe it will finalise.

Please post back and let us know how you get on.
All such experiences are useful to the body of knowledge, which can be helpful to others.

Yeah, I don't feel confident either. I'm taking it back this evening, so I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help and advice. :thumbsup:

This info is wrong. You need to finalise DVD-RWs in the same way as you would finalise DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs if you want to play them in any other DVD player/recorder except the Panasonic. I'm pretty sure you get to the finalisation stage on Panasonic DVD recorders by going into Functions, Other Options, Disc Settings, and within that menu there is a Finalise Option.

The info in my experience isn't wrong broadz, I have played DVD RW recorded by my mate on my cheapy asda DVD player and he hasn't ever finalised them, I have also played my own DVD RW's films transferred from my PC with no need to finalise, nor am I saying I am right you are wrong, there are lots of little quirks out there with all technology and sometimes things have to be done a little differnetly than what we are used too.

The info in my experience isn't wrong broadz, I have played DVD RW recorded by my mate on my cheapy asda DVD player and he hasn't ever finalised them, I have also played my own DVD RW's films transferred from my PC with no need to finalise, nor am I saying I am right you are wrong, there are lots of little quirks out there with all technology and sometimes things have to be done a little differnetly than what we are used too.

It is possible that your mates player auto-finalises... but whichever ... it happens to be a requirement to finalise RW's on the recorder that the OP is using... if he wishes to use them elsewhere.

Well, after a brief visit to Curry's this evening, I'm delighted to confirm that the new machine has finalised my initial recording. :smashin: I didn't expect it too, given the problems we'd initially encountered, but I must say I'm thrilled witht the results. Just finished watching it back on my Denon 1920, and it works a treat. :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your advice during this frustrating period, and I can already confirm that having a fully functional DMR ES15EBS feels like a good purchase.

Well, after a brief visit to Curry's this evening, I'm delighted to confirm that the new machine has finalised my initial recording. :smashin: I didn't expect it too, given the problems we'd initially encountered, but I must say I'm thrilled witht the results. Just finished watching it back on my Denon 1920, and it works a treat. :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your advice during this frustrating period, and I can already confirm that having a fully functional DMR ES15EBS feels like a good purchase.

I'm extremely pleased you've had a good result.

That just leaves with a huge theoretical problem: What the hell was wrong with the other machine??

Happy recording!

By reading some of the posts on this Forum....I beginning to realize that Forums are about the only way we're going to be able to survive all this technology. One thing for sure.....you won't get any support from the manufacturer of the equipment....and that's a shame! We are so fortunate to have them....don't you think ????

Flash
Hi Guys,

I've spent the last couple of hours manually editing and archiving video camera footage of my 1 year old daughter's first year. I have a Panasonic DMR-ES15EBS and am using a Panasonic DVD-RW disk. The footage has copied perfectly, but I cannot seem to finalisde the disk. I've been through the finalising process, refering to the very basic step by step instructions in the manual, but it keeps coming back unsuccessful. Is there a setting I could change or another method of finalising I could try? The thought of starting this long winded process again is just painfull. Any thoughts / suggestions / opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nick 156

By reading some of the posts on this Forum....I beginning to realize that Forums are about the only way we're going to be able to survive all this technology. One thing for sure.....you won't get any support from the manufacturer of the equipment....and that's a shame! We are so fortunate to have them....don't you think ????

Flash

100% Agree. :thumbsup:

well, sorry to create a 'big downer'.... but it is the bad attitude of buyers in this country, that gives the manufacturers **far too many** worry-lines.... just look at the european websites, and you will see the range is a lot larger than the UK sites... If you want good products in this country, you will have to support it by buying the **good** stuff!!

I have seen too many demands for DVD/HDD features that have **nothing** to do with the hi-quality medium that is DVD, it is no wonder that they have given up, and are only selling to people that value *quality* over just something that will play the media from TV or 'net downloads...

It is sickening that some people just use DVD in the same 'low-tech' way that VHS is used...

and to add to this, it seems the internet companies are not helping... If you google for the pio 530 eg, you get lots of results... only trouble is, when you get to the company page, it is clearly marked, 'discontinued' !!! - would it not be simpler to just *remove* the page??? - It would at least reduce the hundreds of results to a realistic figure!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom