1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finalising dvd discs...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MJ Invincible, Aug 18, 2004.

1. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone! This is my first post here :)

I have a Sharp DV-HR300H dvd/hdd recorder and am using quality Maxell dvd-r discs. I would like to know...

(1) How reliable is the process of finalising dvd-r discs?
    (2) What could go wrong with this process which would possibly leave the disc unreadable (e.g. power failure whilst finalising)?
    (3) What is the probability of (2) happening?

The reason I am asking this, is that I want to determine whether I should make a copy of the disc to the hdd first, just in case something goes wrong with the finalisation process (I don't want to lose the recordings I made on the disc :nono: ).

Many thanks for any advice received.

:thumbsup:

2. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Too late in this instance, but my advice would be to record everything to the hard drive in the first place and then dub to disc. That way it doesn't matter too much if a disc fails. With the recording you've already made to disc, then sure, copy it to the hard drive if you don't want to lose it. If it finalises okay then simply delete the recording off the hard drive.

3. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply jesmat2003 :)

Yes, that is good advice. I thought of doing that before, but decided against it as...

* The hdd may fail instead, and I may lose recordings that way :rolleyes:

* For me, it is not very convenient to do this, as I have on average 12 titles on each dvd-r disc. Also, it would take time to determine the recordings on the hdd that I want to dub to dvd-r from those I don't want to dub. On the Sharp, you can't group recordings to make this process easier, for example, having a separate folder for recordings that will be dubbed to dvd-r.

:)

4. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    MJI, you need to think positive! Sure, the HDD might explode at any second or a power failure happen in the middle of finalising but you would be unlucky. The extra work involved in trying to avoid such a catastrophe is probably not worth it in the long run. Most lost recording, I find, are made at the recording stage (wrong channel / no beginning or end). A power failure at this stage will also stop you in your tracks. I have finalised about 30 disks and all were successful. The problem I find is that about 1 in 5 don't play on a standard DVD player. Having not come across the problem I can only guess but in the event that a disk does not finalise you can probably still get the programmes off it onto HDD and the repeat the process. I think HDD is probably the most reliable way to make the master recording (plus you can edit) but if the transfer to DVD is a pain then copying to HDD prior to finalising is another option. Have you considered a second backup machine with uninterruptable power supply? A second aerial might be worth a thought - lightning strikes are on the increase.