Finalised Discs in Pioneer 420H Incompatible?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Struan, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recorded & finalised a DVD-r (Taiyo Yuden 8x) in my Pioneer DVR-420H, which had two SP recordings on it and was dubbed at high speed, but it will not play in my Wharfedale M3 DVD Player. Other DVD-r discs, including those recorded & finalised in my previous Panasonic E95, play fine in the Wharfedale. The finalised disc plays fine on the 420H though.

Is there something in the set-up of the 420H that could cause this incompatibility, or is my 420H likely to be faulty?

TIA.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Some dvd writers are simply better than others. Would I be right in assuming that the E95 would have recorded discs at 4x where as the newer Pioneer is recording at 8x? If so this might be the reason. If you have the option on the Pioneer to record at 4x it might be worth trying that. Alternatively if you don't have that option but have 4x media use that instead. The fact remains though that you can have two identical brand writers running the same firmware and the same setup and blank discs and sometimes one drive will record discs that work and another won't even though they might be both readable in another different drive without problems and the same is probably true of standalone dvd writers. So variations between different brands is going to be even more likely. You could try a lense cleaning disc.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wharfedale players are very picky with recordables.
    Try some better brand blanks and see if that works,or try some 4x cheapies

4. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    @ bonzobanab

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the E95 was 4x and the 420H is 8x. AFAIK, the only way to record at 4x is to use 4x discs, but I don't have any, at the moment.

I recorded a lot of discs in the short time I had the E95, with a 100% record of successful writing, and compatibility with the M3.

Correspondence with Pioneer is on-going!

5. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    @ Phelings

As I mentioned, the M3 plays all other DVD-R discs without a problem, including 8x discs from unknown machines (so they may have been recorded at only 4x, I don't know for certain).

BTW, I was under the (mistaken?) impression that original Taiyo Yuden discs were amongst the very best available – no?

Guess I may have to get some 4x to see if that makes a difference.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on how good Taiyo Yuden discs are as I have never heard of them.I assumed they were just an el cheapo budget make.
    I use TDK and Verbatim blanks (8x) and they work on every dvd player I tried ,which is a lot

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Genuine Taiyo Yuden are certainly among the best:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

...but often faked. Hence you need to get them from a reputable dealer like SVP.

8. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

That's exactly who I got mine from :)

I'm on my second 100 disc spindle, and, compatibility problems aside (which I don't believe are due to the discs), I have had a 100 % record of successful burns in both the E95 and 420H.

I have other problems with the 420H, and Pioneer's conclusion is that the unit is faulty, although I can't say until I get a replacement if the compatibility problem is definitely a fault.

Thanks for the replies.